Parallel Worlds

Christina's Story - Burning

Becca sat in her best friend’s hospital room watching her sleep. The biopsy had worked but it’d be a few days until she could have the surgery that would save her life. It had already been a month and a bit since she had eaten and she couldn’t eat at the moment. Her friend was curled on the bed, really thin and ill looking. Becca sighed and played with Christina’s fingers. She got out of the seat and shut the blinds.

Christina felt the bright white light above her shining on her eyelids. She winced slightly and opened her eyes, rolling onto her side out of the bright white light. Her stomach ached even more than when she went to sleep and the white hot pain brought tears to her eyes. Becca blinked and smelt the air. Christina looked confused before coughing.

“…. Can you smell smoke?” Becca asked her friend, who was now coughing violently and unable to breathe. Becca shook Christina’s shoulders and she nodded dizzily like I’m awake… Becca tugged a barely conscious Christina out the room; just for her to fall onto the floor completely unconscious.

“CHRISTINA. Oh come off it… CHRISTINA!” Becca yelled. “HELP!!!! SOMEONE HELP!!!”
A boy, about their age, with raven-black hair sped round the corner; he had blood up to his elbows and he lifted Christina up and over his shoulder. “COME ON!” He screamed to Becca as wood and plaster fell down round them. The boy ran with Christina over his shoulder and pulling Becca along too. He led them down the fire escape and outside where Becca sat coughing. The mystery boy lay Christina on her back and pressed 3 of his fingers against her wrist, his chocolate brown eyes cringed and he tilted her head back. His dark hair flopped over his eyes and he held her nose shut and slipped his lips over his. Becca’s went huge as if to say Oh-My-Goodness-Wait-Until-She-Finds-Out-This! The boy managed to get Christina breathing and he pulled her so she was lying on his lap to check she was okay.

Christina could smell smoke and head against her eyelids; she forced her eyes open to see a concerned face looking at her while Becca was strapping an oxygen mask onto her. She was shaking from the shooting pain in her stomach as the boy lifted her up a bit. Christina sobbed and screamed. The boy’s eyes widened.

“What’s wrong?” The boy asked. Becca knelt next to Christina and laid her down on the grass. Becca hooked her fingers under Christina’s t-shirt and lifted it up to show a line of stitches on her stomach surrounded by deep black bruises. Becca’s fingers brushed over it accidentally and Christina whined in pain.

“Sorry Christina… Anyway what’s your name lad?” Becca asked, eyeing over the raven haired boy. He blushed lightly. “Oh sorry have I not said? I’m Edward Minton, but I get called Ed.” Ed explained. “I was visiting my friend Alex when the fire started, the doctors were busy carrying him out when I heard you… I came to see what was going on...”
♠ ♠ ♠
onto christina ;D