Runaway

Funeral

It wasn't long before I was directing firemen, police and EMTs to the last place where Daelyn had last been, along with both our parents. My mother constantly clutched at me, I think she knew what we'd find. Daelyn's parents tried to stay serious, determined but sobs could be heard occasionally in the darkness.

The forest seemed different now, colder but calmer in a strange way. It seemed almost respectful of the situation. The moon peaked through the clouds at times, illuminating the bright green leaves in an almost eery way. When we got to the creek it was quiet, and I didn't see Daelyn. My mind raced with possibilities; maybe she had gotten up and went for help on her own!

But the hysterical sobs reminded me that those kind of things don't happen, a girl with a probably cracked skull doesn't just get up and walk away. There was indeed a person laying in the mud, though they were barely recognizable in all the blood and much. The EMTs rushed forward and began CPR, they even had some interesting technical equipment with them. But I knew, even before I fell to the muddy ground sobbing, I knew that Daelyn was gone.
~*~
Four Days Later
I stood there in my black dress, very formally. Daelyn was laying in a cherry wood casket, they had fixed her up nicely, one could hardly even guess that she wasn't only sleeping. Daelyn's mother and father were to my left, consoling Daelyn's grandmother who had flown in last night. My mother and father had taken turns firmly gripping my shoulders in attempt to comfort me but were now standing solemnly off to my right, they were waiting for me to say my goodbyes.

But what was I supposed to say?

“Daelyn,” I whispered, wondering if she could hear me wherever she was. “I don't know what I'm supposed to do now, I don't know how I'm supposed to live.” It wasn't a suicidal statement, it was as simple as that. I could not imagine life without waking up and immediately trotting over to my best friend's house and stealing her waffles. Or laughing about my brother's latest stunt with my best friend. How were you supposed to do things without the closest thing to a sister-without being blood- around?
How were you supposed to go about everyday activities?

“Nothing is right anymore Daelyn, and it's all my fault.” I turned and ran out of the church as fast as my feet could take me.
♠ ♠ ♠
THE END!!
I hope everyone enjoyed it, I did (That seems weird to say after a death chapter but you know...)
Comments much appreciated