Runaway

Burn;

“Owie, Jane!”

The pain in my arm wasn’t anything worse than a cigarette burn, but the idea that she was burning a tick off of me made it hurt more than it should have. I pushed out my bottom lip, declaring a pout as I jerked the lighter out of her hand.

“Thanks, I think.” I sighed, pulling my hand away from my burning arm. It was almost instant relief as the wind cooled the heat. I watched Jane dig around in her pocket with a wounded look on her face. It didn’t take a Rocket Scientist to know that she didn’t think this through, but I thought that she would have taken some precaution. “I don’t know about you, but my mom’s making spaghetti!”

The smile on my face faded when Jane didn’t go for it. I thought that tempting her with food would make her face brighten, and together we would walk out of the forest with our belly’s growling. But I was wrong.

“You’re going back.”

I glanced in her direction. I felt terrible for even considering it. It did sound nice though, my bed, my music, food… But Jane didn’t seem to feel the same way.

“What. You’re not?”

She seemed deep in thought, and even though I knew Jane pretty well, I had no idea what was running through her mind. Her eyes twitched a little, and her mouth changed shapes, but she shook her head.

“No.”

I could feel my heart sink. Was she crazy? She couldn’t live in here forever! Wasn’t watching me have to take out a squirrel and burning me enough? If she stayed here, she could turn rabid and become and wolf-girl. Which, though it may sound cool, would ruin our friendship. I growled lightly, taking a few steps away from her, and turned on my heel.

“You can’t stay here forever, Jane. What are you going to do? Eat dirt, wait until someone forms a search party for us- Because you know how my mother is- Deal with the cops, and go home just to face a tear-filled punishment?” I huffed, glaring at her. “What if I take the blame for the smokes? I’ve been meaning to tell my mom, anyways.”

Jane lifted her head, only to give me a are-you-stupid kind of glance. I rolled my eyes, now staring down at the dead, brown leaves on the ground. I could feel the wind start to pick up, and the air was growing colder. I knew before long the sun would start to sink, and then even if Jane and I wanted to go home, we wouldn’t be able to.

Feeling uncomfortable about the situation, I dug deep into my pockets and pulled out my back of Marlboro Reds. I flipped open the box. “Shit,” I mumbled, pulling out one of this sticks and putting it to my lips. I used the same lighter Jane used to burn the tick, and lit the cigarette, inhaling deep. “I’m almost out of cigarettes, Jane, and you know how angry I get when I run out.”

I offered her a smile, blowing the smoke out. When she didn’t return it, I frowned, letting my shoulder fall. I had no idea why everything was so bad that she wouldn’t just go home and face it. She knew very well that she could spend the night at my house if she needed. Even my mother would cover for her- She loved Jane like she was her own.

“Fine. If you’re not going back, neither am I.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I would adore some comments. <3.