We Come Out At Night 3

Chapter 9

---------------------
Vengeance
---------------------

Today, I took Marisol upstairs to the third floor where the bedrooms are so she could see where I stayed while I was here. I wanted her to get to know everything there was to know about me with a few exceptions. The more she knew the more she would trust me.

I sat on my bed while she walked around my room admiring my collection of guitars that hung on the walls around the room. “You play all of them?” She asked in awe.

“No. Those are only for show. The one’s I play are down in the studio.” I leaned back on my elbows and continued to watch her as she ran her finger over the frame of a photo that was sitting on my dresser. It was an older photo of the five of us guys and one of my favorites.

“You have pretty eyes.” She smiled and held her gaze on the photo. I couldn’t help but hear the big bad wolf in the back of my mind reciting “all the better to see you with, my dear”

“Thanks.” I returned the smile and kept my thoughts to myself. As charming as she was, I wasn’t going to deter from my plan. “So, how come a girl as pretty as you doesn’t have a boyfriend?”

Mari sat down in the chair that seemed to swallow her. It was a big red beanbag type chair and she looked so small sitting there with her legs crossed. “I wasn’t allowed to date boys. I went to an all girl’s catholic school so it’s not like I even got to be around them much.”

Internally, I smiled at the thought of seeing her in a uniform. Catholic school girls are hot. “So, you’ve never like been kissed before?”

“No.” She shook her head. This was going to be so bad for her. If she’d never been kissed, then obviously she was a virgin too. That was going to make it hurt even more when I crushed her heart.

“Well, I’m sure when it happens; your first kiss will be extremely special.” She had no idea just how special it was going to be.

“I hope so. I know it may sound like a little girl fantasy, but I hope there are fireworks when he does kiss me.”

She was cute, really sweet. If her last name wasn’t Montes, I could see myself dating her and maybe more. I got up off the bed and walked over to the beanbag chair where she sat and plopped myself down beside her. “So, you’ve never been kissed, but you can cook like nobody’s business. You don’t have a mom, but you’re very nurturing. You’re bright, beautiful and yet, so innocent. I think I want to get to know you more. How do you feel about that?”

She smiled a little shy smile and looked a little nervous. “Well, ok, but I’m really no one special. I hope you aren’t disappointed.”

I laughed and put my arm around her shoulder. “I doubt you could disappoint me. In fact, I think you are just full of little surprises.”

She smiled again and nudged me with her elbow in my side. I nudged her back and she giggled a little bit. “Want to order a pizza?”

She sat up and looked at me like I had just lost my mind. “Order Pizza?” She stood up and grabbed my hand to help me up. “How would you like to help me make a pizza?”

My mind was protesting because I know Dominos can be here in 30 minutes, but making a pizza? Well that takes forever and I’m hungry now. “Ok, sounds like fun. Lead the way chef!” I winked at her and followed her out of the room down to the kitchen.

So, we made pizza. Actually, I just did what she told me to do. Making the dough from scratch was probably my favorite part. Our hands were touching as we molded eggs and flour into a ball that would become our pizza crust. Instead of sauce, Mari sliced fresh tomatoes while I made a mess shredding the cheese. Our pizza was making experience made me feel things I didn’t want to feel inside.

To look at her with flour on her face and a smile on her lips only added to what was happening inside my head. She was so much like Sammy in so many ways. I wanted to kiss her, I wanted to do more than that actually, but it wasn’t me that was supposed to be feeling these things. It was her who was supposed to be falling for me.

After eating, I suggested we get cleaned up and watch the baseball game. We were both a mess as making pizza isn’t the neatest cooking experience. So, while she cleaned up the rest of the mess in the kitchen, I went upstairs to my room to take a shower.

------------------
One hour later
-----------------

“Vengeance?” I heard Mari call my name from the hall outside my bedroom. When I turned around, it was just in time to see her head peek through the door. “Sorry, I don’t have any clothes here, can I borrow a t-shirt?”

“Sure” I nodded and walked over to my dresser while she stood in the doorway.
I pulled out a VU t-shirt and walked over to the door and handed it to her so she could take her shower. I had only a towel wrapped around my waist and as she took the t-shirt from my hands I followed her eyes down the scars on my chest.

“Does it hurt?” She asked me tracing her finger over my scars.

“Sometimes.” I nodded.

She bit her bottom lip and looked up at me sympathetically. “My father did this to you?”

I nodded and lowered my gaze back to her fingers not wanting her to see all the pain that I was holding on to. It was right there on the surface and I hadn’t let it come out yet. I vowed that I wasn’t going to let myself cry over Sammy, I blocked out the pain, but every time Marisol smiled at me or touched me, I saw Sammy. I felt Sammy and I wanted to cry for Sammy. “I’m sorry.” She whispered with glistening eyes looking up at me. “I’m sorry he’s such a bad man.” When she put her arms around me, the instinct to hold her took over and I wrapped my arms around her.

“It’s not your fault.” I whispered as my hand found its way up into her hair. It smelled like honey, sweet and subtle.

She finally pulled back from me and wiped her eyes. “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to cry all over you, I really just wanted a t-shirt.”

“It’s ok” I whispered again still unable to find my voice and knowing I was on the verge of tears myself. With my hand I wiped her cheek and she closed her eyes against my touch. I couldn’t take my hand away and I held it there on her cheek as she opened her eyes again and looked back at me. Her own hand reached up and covered mine and that was all it took for me to lean forward and kiss her. I was gentle with my lips on hers not wanting to go in with a full on assault on her mouth. When I stopped kissing her and pulled away she slowly opened her eyes and looked up at me. Her face was flushed and I knew I had to get away from her. Something was happening to me and I didn’t want her to see it. “I’m sorry; I just remembered I have to go out for a while.”

“Ok.” She said with a disappointed frown.

“Why don’t you take a shower and make yourself comfortable. I’ll stop and pick up some ice cream and movie on the way back.”

“Sure.” She nodded. “Sounds good.”

When she walked out of my room I closed the door behind her and grabbed my chest. I suddenly felt like I couldn’t breathe. My heart was hammering against my chest and my face was starting to burn. I got dressed as quickly as I could and after putting on my shoes I went downstairs. After hearing Mari’s shower running, I made my way out to the car.

As I drove, I kept both hands firmly on the wheel to keep them from shaking. It took 15 minutes to get to the casino. I drove my car like I just stole it off the show room floor.
My nerves were getting the best of me as the feeling in my chest was growing more and more intense. I had to pace myself with every step that I took while walking into the casino. The air seemed so thick and hot and every breath I took seemed forced.

It seemed to take forever, but I finally made my way down to Shadows office. I couldn’t find the strength to pound on the door and luckily I didn’t have to. It was unlocked. When I turned the knob, I walked right inside and fell to my knees upon seeing Shadows and Gates.

“What the hell?” Shadows stood up concerned and looked over at Gates who had knelt down beside me.

“Why?” That was the only word I could manage to form.

“Why what?” Gates asked me as Shadows called the bar and asked for cold towels to be sent over.

I shook my head and my whole body started shaking. “Why Sammy? Why didn’t you save her and let me die?”

They all told me that I had to mourn the loss of Sammy and I ignored everyone. I practically didn’t even acknowledge her death. I didn’t want to face it, refused to believe it and didn’t even give her a proper memorial service. They all warned me that it was going to hit me when I least expected it and that it did.

Gates put his arms around me and I collapsed. While I thought of myself as a strong man, I was now a week mess of blubbering tears. Shadows knelt down in front of me, while Gates kept his arm firmly around my shoulder.

“Do you hear what you are saying?” Shadows said as he looked at me. “We couldn’t save Sammy. She died before we even got there.”

“Tell me how it happened” I said. All I knew was that Sammy was shot first. I never allowed them to tell me how it all went down. I didn’t care about anyone else but myself.

Gates got up and poured me a glass of whiskey while Shadows told me of the night that would change my life forever. “Izzy told me that Sammy saw Marco aim his gun at you and she moved in front of you to protect you. The bullet struck her heart and she died before the next bullet even fired.”

What Shadows told me only made the whole situation harder to swallow. “I should have been the one to protect her. You know, she was always looking out for me, always making sure I was on track and in the end she died for me. I never even got to tell her that I loved her.”

I didn’t care if they saw me crying. This was overwhelming me in the worst way and I needed to let it out. They didn’t judge me though and that would be the reason why I turned to them in my time of need. I hadn’t been the greatest friend to any of them lately and I really didn’t deserve their loyalty, but they gave it, no questions asked.

Gates sat down in the chair in front of Shadows desk and turned it around to face me. “Hey you. I know you needed this to happen, but I’m going to tell you something for your own good. Sammy died so you could live. So start living. If not for anyone else, then live for her.”

He was right, he always was. I think people underestimate how smart Gates really is. As I stood Shadows put his arm around my shoulder and squeezed. “I want revenge.” I whispered and both of them nodded.

“You’ll have it.” Shadows responded. “I guarantee it.”

After setting the glass of whisky down on the desk, I walked over to the door, but turned to face my friends one last time before leaving. “Thanks guys.”

“Anytime.” Shadows smiled.

“Where you off to?” Gates asked me and I was almost afraid to say it because to say it would mean I would have to actually do it.

“I think I’m going to go put some flowers on Sammy’s grave.” They both nodded and I walked out of the office letting out a long breath before I set off in the direction of my vehicle.
♠ ♠ ♠
Kleenex?