Status: Thanks for reading!

It Wasn't Meant To Turn Out Like This

Confession

Brian stood talking to David, the owner of Tuna Town, when Mayza stepped out of the kitchen once her shift had ended. She had to work late—someone had had a wedding rehearsal dinner at Tuna Town and her and the chef had been swamped with cooking all the food. It also fell conveniently on a night when the group had planned to meet up at Johnny’s Bar for the evening to catch up with each other. Brian volunteered to ride with Jimmy to the studio that day, walk down the street to Tuna Town to grab Mayza, and then walk with her to Johnny’s Bar. The two would simply grab a taxi to go home, since Brian would drink and Mayza couldn’t drive.

It’d been an entire month since Mayza had moved in with Brian. They’d grown even closer across that length of time, and Mayza was enjoying living with Brian, and she liked to assume he enjoyed having her around as well. They always caught themselves staying up late just talking to each other about everything and nothing. Most nights the two of them would fall asleep on the couch together as they watched a movie. Mayza never seemed to get enough sleep, but she didn’t mind.

Mayza had turned in her application to Tuna Town before she moved in with Brian. When she walked in for the interview, David just handed her an apron and gave her directions to the kitchen, telling her he’d be delighted if she could start working that day. Mayza hadn’t planned to do anything else that day, so she said that would be great.

Upon reaching the kitchen, the cook gave her a quick crash course between orders on everything she would be expected to do. Mostly anything she learned would be learned from hands-on experience. She did pretty well her first day, and the cook told her he was looking forward to seeing her the following morning. She’d been working there ever since and was highly dedicated to the job. She absolutely adored it.

“Well, it was nice talking to you again, David,” Brian said as Mayza walked up.

“Yeah, see you later,” David replied, shaking Brian’s hand. He turned to Mayza. “Don’t drink too much. I want to see you here bright-eyed and bushy-tailed Monday morning.”

“Don’t worry; I don’t drink,” Mayza answered, shooting a meaningful glare in Brian’s direction. He grinned sheepishly, and they all said farewell before Mayza and Brian left the restaurant.

Five minutes later, Mayza and Brian stepped into the Friday night crowd at Johnny’s Bar. They finally found everyone sitting at a booth in the corner. Mayza headed towards the group as Brian veered towards the bar to grab himself a beer and Mayza a sweet tea.

!!!!!

Mayza kept a close eye on Brian as he stood leaning against the building. He’d drunk maybe one beer too many and was highly tipsy as a result. He seemed mostly capable of keeping himself upright, but the ability to do even that was diminishing quickly right before Mayza’s eyes. She’d already called up the taxi company to take them home; it was just a matter of reaching home before Brian threw up, passed out, or became more than just a harmless, grinning drunk.

“C’mon, Bri,” Mayza said softly as the taxi pulled up alongside the curb. She stepped forward and grabbed his wrist, gently pulling him towards the taxi. Brian came without offering any resistance. Mayza opened the back door of the cab. “Watch your—Oh, never mind,” she sighed as Brian bent down to climb into the cab and clonked his head on the edge of the door as he did so. He withdrew just a bit, resting a hand on his head and groaning, before trying to climb into the car and hitting his head again.

Finally, he found his way into the cab without further damaging himself. Mayza climbed in behind him and reddened slightly at the look of sympathy the cab driver was giving her through the rearview mirror. She gave the cabbie an address and quickly stopped herself from smacking her palm to her forehead when Brian turned his head towards the window and smacked his nose against the window.

“Might I ask a question?” Brian slurred as Mayza helped him up the sidewalk towards the front door ten minutes later.

“Yeah, sure,” Mayza answered, keeping him walking before he keeled over. If she could get him into the house at least, they’d be golden. Brian was silent as she propped him up against the side of the house and dug her keys out of her purse. “What was your question, Bri?” She felt like she was talking to a five-year-old.

“I forget,” Brian giggled.

“Help me stay strong, Lord,” Mayza muttered as she slid the key into the lock and unlocked the front door.

“What was that?” Brian asked as Mayza pushed the front door open.

“Nothing, c’mon,” Mayza answered, pulling Brian into the house and closing and locking the door behind her.

By some God-given miracle, Mayza got Brian upstairs and in bed without having to use fairy magic to get him there. He mumbled and slurred the entire time, but he was at least in bed. Mayza slipped his shoes off of his feet and pulled the blanket up and over his body.

As Mayza stood at Brian’s head adjusting his pillow, he blinked and grinned up at her. “You’re really pretty.”

“That doesn’t hold much credibility, since you’re drunk,” Mayza answered with a small smile.

“But, Mayza, you’re always pretty!” Brian exclaimed. He suddenly giggled like a small child. It was unnerving coming from a full-grown man. “Can I tell you a secret?”

“Sure,” Mayza said begrudgingly.

“I think I have a crush on you,” Brian replied with a huge ear-to-ear grin.

“Okay, you are most definitely drunk. Lie down and go to sleep. I’ll have food ready for you in the morning,” Mayza said with a shake of her head. She turned away and tried to walk towards the door, but Brian grabbed her arm. She turned back towards him to find him sitting up and looking suddenly very serious.

“No, I’m being completely serious. What, you don’t like me back?” Brian said.

“As a friend...” Mayza answered, looking at a spot on Brian’s neck instead of in his eyes.

He released her arm, and Mayza glanced up into his face to see him looking suddenly frustrated. “Fuck it! I give up!” He flopped dramatically back against his pillow, crossing his arms angrily.

“Oh, Brian, don’t be that way,” Mayza sighed, perching herself on the edge of Brian’s bed. She rested her hand gently on his arm, patting it soothingly. “I just don’t...think of you like that.”

Brian’s chocolate brown eyes searched Mayza’s face. She hoped she looked honest and sincere and his drunken gaze wouldn’t recognize the lie. Brian could be naïve sometimes; he didn’t always understand what other humans thought of fairies. Not everyone was like his family and friends, completely welcoming and understanding. Most of the world thought of fairies as inferior beings, as significant as the common house fly. Mayza knew, though, and she realized that for both of their sakes, they must remain friends. Fairy/human relationships were frowned upon by most of society, and the easiest way Brian could disgrace himself and the band was by dating Mayza.

She felt it, too. Over the past month, she’d been feeling drawn to Brian physically, mentally, and emotionally. It was hard not to; they hung out almost 24/7. If they weren’t working, they were together doing something or other. She’d been wondering if he could feel it too, their relationship growing stronger and stronger. But Mayza knew she couldn’t let on about it. It could ruin everything he’d worked for.

Much to Mayza’s relief, Brian relaxed. “Okay,” he said, sounding disappointed but also very understanding. “I just thought...I just thought it’d be nice.”

“Don’t worry,” Mayza answered, brushing her hand gently across his forehead. “There’s the right girl out there for you somewhere. You just have to find her first.”

“You think so?” Brian asked hopefully.

“Of course,” Mayza said. Brian smiled and rolled over. Within seconds, he’d fallen asleep.

Mayza smiled, leaned over to kiss his forehead, and then stepped quietly from the room.
♠ ♠ ♠
I spilled water all over myself in Spanish class today. I have this huge 32 oz. plastic water bottle that I got from the Red Cross when I gave blood and the mouth of the bottle is humongous. I tipped it back too far and got it all over myself. Luckily, everyone was working and only my bestie, who was sitting almost directly across from me, noticed. The pocket of my hoodie was soaking wet. Haha. But it was funny. I was trying so hard not to spit all the water in my mouth out as I laughed.

Please comment! You rock.