Status: Thanks for reading!

It Wasn't Meant To Turn Out Like This

One Mad Fairy

A cold, rough hand clamped down hard over McKenna’s mouth and nose, blocking off most of her oxygen. Instinctively, her lungs panicked and attempted to suck in air, but to no avail as the hand clamped down harder at McKenna’s sudden movement as she jerked awake. Her next movement jolted her body backward, and her shoulder banged against the wall beside her bed, but the hand came with her, still blocking off her breathing. McKenna forced herself to relax a little and attempt to think logically. Slowly, she opened her eyes, hoping that she’d find her father, who was currently gone on a business trip, grinning down at her. Maybe he had wrapped the trip up early and wanted to surprise his daughter.

Instead, she opened her eyes to see an unfamiliar man standing over her, one hand clamped over her mouth, the other half raised to ward off any defensive maneuvers she might employ in an attempt to escape. He wore a dark hat whose brim threw his eyes into shadows. Moonlight streamed into her room from the window at the foot of her bed, but the man had his back to it so all she could make out of him was an outline of a dark shadow.

McKenna strained to suck in a breath of air, but found it practically impossible. She braced her feet against her mattress and kicked, trying to force herself away from the man. In a fluid motion, the man leaned over, pressing his knee hard into McKenna’s stomach and pinning her down. Her arms finally found their way out from underneath the covers; her hands instantly found the man’s hand over her mouth and nose. She tried in vain to drag his hand away. The man leaned in closer as his free hand moved to grip the hem of her tank top.

Behind him, the door into McKenna’s room slowly creaked open. The man stayed in the same position, only moving his neck to look around towards the door. McKenna looked around his arm to see the small form of Mayza standing in the doorway. Several weeks had gone by since McKenna’s father had purchased Mayza. She had turned out to be a loyal and obedient servant, following each command on time and without complaints. She remained emotionally distant from the family, however, remaining mostly silent unless spoken to directly.

The man’s hand loosened over McKenna’s nose and mouth, and she managed to pull his hand down far enough to suck in a breath through her nose. Despite the relief of being able to breathe again, McKenna knew little Mayza could do no more than she could against the intruder. Mayza would be much better off going to grab either Brian or Brent.

Apparently, the intruder thought so too, for he just chuckled before turning back to McKenna. Then, Mayza spoke, and McKenna wondered if maybe Mayza was tougher than everyone assumed.

“Get away from her.” Instead of Mayza’s normal, high-pitched, musical voice, her voice was deep and gravelly. It sent a shiver down McKenna’s spine, even though she knew Mayza would never turn against her.

The man glanced back over his shoulder at Mayza, obviously not bothered by her voice. “Oh well, I like an audience. Maybe if you’re lucky I’ll move on to you next.”

“Get away from her,” Mayza repeated, taking a step into the room. The intruder only chuckled again. He focused once more on McKenna, reaching again for her shirt hem.

Mayza moved faster than McKenna’s eyes could keep track. One moment, she was standing near McKenna’s door, the next, she had landed nimbly on the intruder’s back. Her hand sunk into his hair, pulling his head sideways so that his ear nearly touched his shoulder. She opened her mouth wide, and McKenna was shocked to see that Mayza’s perfect, square teeth had become razor sharp fangs. Mayza sunk her fangs into the man’s neck, not appearing too bothered by the blood that instantly sprouted from his flesh.

The man let out a high-pitched squeal. He stumbled back from McKenna’s bed, clenching one hand into a fist and reaching back to try to hit Mayza. She’d already released his neck, however, and leaped backward off of his back. He lurched forward and whirled to face her where she hovered in mid air. As his eyes fell upon the fairy, he was sent hurtling backwards across the room. He slammed hard against a wall and crumpled at the base of it, whimpering and clutching his neck.

Mayza landed gently on the floor. She turned and looked at McKenna, swiping the back of her hand across her lips to wipe away the excess blood. McKenna was shocked further to see that Mayza’s pink eyes had become completely black. They looked like black, spiraling voids.

“Go get your brothers,” Mayza said. McKenna nodded and scrambled from her bed, rushing out into the hall.
♠ ♠ ♠
I updated twice. So go back and read Chapter 2 if you didn't before.

Chapter 2 was lame so I updated twice because this one is a little less lame. =}

Please comment!