Status: Thanks for reading!

It Wasn't Meant To Turn Out Like This

Surprise!

After the two of them had finished eating that night at the Seaside Restaurant built right on the edge of the beach, Brian paid the bill and as they waited for their change, he suggested that they take a leisurely walk along the beach. Mayza agreed and once they got their change back and Brian laid a tip on the table, they left the restaurant. They circled around the building, stepped over a knee-high fence separating the beach from the pavement, and walked hand and hand across the sand.

Brian directed them away from the pier, heading down the long expanse of beach that no doubt bordered the entire western edge of California. And as they walked, they reminisced together about the past year, going over the good and the bad memories equally.

“Do you remember that one time when Zacky was drunk off his ass at that barbeque and he groped you?” Brian asked.

“Oh, yes, how could I forget?” Mayza answered with a chuckle. “You know, he didn’t mean to do it.”

“I still punched him.”

“I know. But he didn’t mean to do it. You should’ve seen the look on his face after it happened. He looked terrified. I think he thought I would go demon fairy on him and rip his head off before shoving it up his ass,” Mayza laughed. “Then, he started looking down at his hand like it was burning. I think he really didn’t mean to do it.”

“Yeah, well, the burning in his hand was overshadowed by the major punch in the face he got from me,” Brian said smugly.

“I was pissed at you afterward. Remember that?” Mayza replied.

“Well, yeah,” Brian answered sheepishly. “And then he didn’t even remember what happened in the morning! He couldn’t for the life of him figure out where he got the black eye.”

“I remember he looked so shocked and then apologized to me five million times and to Gena ten million times,” Mayza concluded with a laugh.

“This whole past year has been a whirlwind for me,” Brian sighed, stopping suddenly and turning to face Mayza. “Just a swirling vortex of good times, a few bad times, and quite a lot of sunshine and—”

“Sex,” Mayza added.

Brian grinned. “Yes, and sex. Maybe if I’m fortunate, it’s been the same for you?”

“Yeah, it has been,” Mayza answered with a nod, sobering up again. “The kind of whirlwind I can’t and don’t plan to walk away from.”

“Can I tell you something that might come across as sappy and vulnerable?” Brian asked, capturing Mayza’s other hand in his.

“Hell, I’d pay to see Synyster Gates sappy and vulnerable,” Mayza answered with a smile.

“Well, since you’re pretty, you get a discount,” Brian said with a smirk before becoming solemn again. Mayza did the same. “Mayza, this has been the best year of my life. This year has beat everything—touring for the first time, watching the band grow, everything. I’ve never been so happy. It’s the coolest thing waking up next to you every morning and knowing that I’ll fall asleep that night with you in my arms. I wouldn’t trade that for anything. And I know it’s so clichéd, but you’re the best thing to happen to me. I...I just can’t envision my life without you. You’re tattooed on my heart, Mayza.”

Mayza pulled her hands gently from Brian’s, smoothly stepping forward and curling her arms around his waist, pressing her face into his chest. He returned the gesture, pressing a kiss to her temple. Mayza decided that she liked sappy and vulnerable Brian, even if he didn’t show his handsome face all that often.

“I have something to tell you,” they both said at the exact same time as they pulled out of the hug. Mayza had decided it was as good a time as ever to tell Brian her news. Brian thought the same thing.

“Um...Rock-paper-scissors to see who goes first?” Mayza asked. Brian nodded and they disentangled themselves from each other. They smacked their closed fists against the open palm of their opposite hand three times before Brian had scissors and Mayza had paper. “Alright, you first.”

In response, Brian reached into his front jeans pocket and pulled something out that was so small Mayza couldn’t see it. She frowned up at his face, but then suddenly, he was shrinking. Mayza looked down to find him descending to one knee and could only think one thing: Oh God. Brian extended a closed fist and slowly opened his fingers. Lying on his open palm was a beautiful diamond ring.

“Mayza, will you marry me?” Brian asked, his voice trembling slightly. Mayza had never seen Brian nervous before. Well, maybe a couple of times, but never enough that his voice shook.

She gasped, staring from the ring to Brian’s face back to the ring and then back to Brian. Her mind had gone completely blank, but she didn’t need to think about the question anyway.

Mayza shrieked and launched herself into Brian’s arms, flinging her arms around his neck and sending both of them tumbling back onto the sand.

“You don’t even have to ask!” Mayza exclaimed, pressing a hard kiss to Brian’s lips. “Of course I will!”

Brian laughed and carefully slipped the ring onto Mayza’s finger. She sat up, sliding back so that she sat on his lap, and Brian sat up as well. He braced his palms against the sand and pressed another kiss to Mayza’s lips.

“So, what’s your news?” Brian asked.

Mayza had nearly forgotten, too distracted by the excitement of what Brian had to say.

“Brian...” Mayza said slowly. “I’m...I’m pregnant.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Mayza

"You’re tattooed on my heart, Mayza.” <---- My favorite line in this chapter. Brian's so adorkable.

And I know...the pregnancy thing was really obvious. But I tried to disguise it.

Please comment!