Tick, Tock

Chapter 1

I guess I didn’t know what I was thinking.

The lights were dim, the bed comforter was a dark red, and I was lying on my back. I could hear the clock tick with every passing second.

Tick, tock. Tick, tock.

I found it quite relaxing; at least something was still working, in a world where anything could stop without even the slightest warning. I felt the sweat drip down my face. Unwilling to turn my head, I tried to look as far as possible to the left. My shirt was still dangling off the edge of the bed. I had no idea where my jeans were, but I could have cared less. When I thought about it for a minute or two, I didn’t know why my clothes were off in the first place.

Tick, tock. Tick, tock.

I sat up in a hurry, which soon proved to be a bad idea. With a slight groan, I brought my hands up to my face. My elbows rested on my knees and my hands held my forehead to keep it from splitting open. What did I do that resulted in a huge headache and half-nakedness?

Tick, tock. Tick, tock.

After a few minutes of remaining in one position, I finally gained the nerve to pick my head up. The room seemed even darker now. I swooped my legs off the edge of the bed and cringed as my feet hit the floor. A feeling of pain surfaced, making me wince.

Tick, tock. Tick, tock.

And there it was. The evidence of a hard day’s night was standing proudly on top of my dresser. I must have rolled my eyes so hard that they went backward into my head. I stood up, balanced myself using the dresser’s handles, and disposed of said evidence.

I guess I knew exactly what I was thinking: if you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em.

Tick, tock. Tick, tock.