Status: Complete.

Peepshow Ruffles

Chapter Twenty

Adele lay on the bed, a silk kimono she had been given by one of her suitors draped carelessly over her battered thighs. The kimono was being used as almost a shield from Christian’s probing eyes. Not long after she had entered the room and managed to stop his words with a simple touch to his wrist he had ripped away from her and began pacing recklessly around the Elephant. If only she knew how to ease his discomfort.

“Christian, please…” the words were a desperate plea but she knew before she could even finish that they were hopeless. Whether it was the alcohol slowly dying through his blood stream or her resemblance to his beloved Satine; his anger was undying.

She winced when he shot her a glare and watched as his face softened and he fell to his knees beside her. He took her hands, running his thumbs over the protruding bone of her left wrist as he stared at her hopelessly.

“Adele, please… tell me who did this to you,” he begged. She couldn’t help but notice how melodic his voice sounded in her ears, and she found herself reaching out and running a pearl colored finger down the line of his face.

“I don’t want you involved, Christian. He…he’s a well-paying client and—“ she broke off, choking on her next words. She relinquished her touch and gently pulled her hands form his. “It’s my job to satisfy my clients, no matter what their fetishes are.”

The words were quoted, maybe one from her contract. Christian only stared at the woman, the woman who looked so much like his Satine and cursed before grasping her chin and dragging her eyes to his. “I won’t sit by and watch as you return to me cut and bleeding. I don’t care what it takes, I’ll find who did this to you. And I’ll make him pay.”