Status: Complete.

Peepshow Ruffles

Chapter Four

The music in the Rouge was obnoxiously loud at this point; and yet Adele still managed to hear Zidler yelling for her. She turned, frowning and then smiled excitedly thinking that he was coming to possibly talk to her about her desired promotion.

She watched him waddle to the spot she stood and watched as he caught his breath.

“I need you to go find Toulouse for me.” Zidler’s breath was heavy as he spoke; Adele mentally shook her head at her fat boss. He would die from heart failure if he didn’t stop eating and drinking the way he did.

“Toulouse-Lautrec?” Adele groaned, leaning her head back. The short French man was someone she could hardly cope with. As kind and funny as he was, he was obsessed with being on the stage. There had been talk of a previous writer coming in to propose a new play to Zidler, and part of Adele thought that this could be her chance.

“Yes, go find Toulouse; he should be outside with my writer!” Zidler clapped excitedly before scurrying off to speak with clients. Adele sighed and maneuvered through the crowd.

She was cut off by a very tall man, who leered down at her with a frightening grin. “Can I help you sir?” She questioned, swallowing thickly as she stared at the large man. He reminded her greatly of one of the gargoyles perched a top the nearest church.

“Why, yes you can. Why don’t you come home with me tonight?”

Adele paused for a moment, her mouth gaping before smiling kindly. “I’m sorry sir, but I’m unavailable tonight.”

The man’s face twisted; he was obviously drunk and he grabbed her arm. “What do you mean unavailable.”

“I mean, I have already been bought.” Adele’s voice was a hiss as she tore her arm from the man’s grip and hurried to the door. She glanced back at the tall man who glared back at her before he turned and went to find a different whore.

Adele it to the door, shoving it open with a grunt. She peeked out finding Toulouse chatting up a man whom she could not see. His back was facing her and from the looks of it he looked rather…sloppy.

“Toulouse!” She hissed. “Zidler needs to speak with you and your friend.”

Toulouse clapped excitedly then before grabbing his friend’s arm. “Come on, Christian!”