Status: active

Love By Our Side

stay this way forever.

Delaney grinned as she and her cousin pulled into the Cleary’s familiar driveway. Stepping out of the car, she ignored the glaring sun that was blinding her eyes and warming her skin and quickly proceeded to unpack the backseat of the car. She had crammed her entire bedroom into three suitcases and five boxes, all of which were currently packed very tightly into Sophie’s backseat and trunk. She was about to set the first suitcase on the ground when she was tackled onto the lawn.

“John, get off of me!” she screeched, giggling. “You’re gonna get grass stains on my white shirt!”

“Not important,” John claimed, placing a quick kiss on his girlfriend’s lips before standing up, dusting himself off, and grabbing a box from the car.

“Um, hello? Aren’t you going to help the person you knocked over up off the ground?” Delaney asked, faking annoyance. John shrugged and waved her off, continuing to the house. Delaney shook her head and laughed before standing up to begin unpacking again. “C’mon, John and I are waiting to be in private to make out, can’t you two?” she shouted to her cousin and Stephen, who had been celebrating their reunion on the driver’s side of the car.

“Unlike you, Sophie won’t be here for forever so we have to make the best use of our time together!” Stephen said snottily, before running over to Delaney to give her a hug. “I’m glad you’re living close to us now. John will finally shut up and leave me alone.”

“Oh, I don’t think you’ll ever see him again now that I’m back in town,” Delaney stated with a wink. Stephen shuddered and shook his head before popping open the trunk of the car to start carrying those boxes. Sophie grabbed her own box to carry then followed Stephen into the house. Mrs. Cleary happily greeted each teen as they set down their boxes. She was more than ecstatic to have Delaney living with her family, as she was practically a daughter.

“I have a ton pasta for dinner cooking, I hope you were all planning to eat here tonight!” she exclaimed, and to her delight, the four kids nodded. “Great! Now, why don’t you start taking the luggage upstairs? Delaney honey, you’ll be sleeping in the room your cousin stayed in over the summer.” Delaney nodded in understanding before leading the boys to the correct room, while Sophie excused herself to use the restroom.

As soon as the car was unloaded, the boxes started to be unpacked in Delaney’s room. She gave the boys the job of hanging her clothes and filling her drawers, while she and Sophie began to decorate the walls, bed, and desk with numerous pictures and posters. It was nearly six o’clock when they were called downstairs, greeted by Mr. and Mrs. Gomez, whom Mrs. Cleary had invited for dinner. Sophie and Delaney hugged their boyfriend’s parents, glad to see them again, as they entered the house.

Everyone sat for dinner and Mrs. Cleary insisted to serve each person individually, ignoring all protests that they could easily serve themselves. Mrs. Cleary was the best hostess anyone could ask for, not sitting down to enjoy her own meal until every glass was filled, plate was full, and guest was happy. She was often scolded by her guests, saying that she was too nice, and that she needed to let others do the work sometimes. She always shot these suggestions down with a smile, claiming that she loved serving everyone else.

The group talked for the next few hours, getting caught up on everyone’s lives, finding out how school was going, and questioning the two younger couples about the futures of their relationships. Delaney and John grinned eagerly and chattered on about how they were so happy to be living by each other and numerous other things, while Stephen and Sophie blushed and slunk back in their seats, allowing their relatives to be the center of the conversation.

Now that Delaney had officially made the move to Scottsdale, eyes were focused to the older kids as to where they were headed. Neither wanted to fully commit to a relationship so soon in their lives, but they both did want just that. There had been a few more discussions about the two possibly getting an apartment together at the beginning of the next summer, but the subject was not one to be pressed. Stephen and Sophie did not disclose this information with anyone else, not wanting there to be the expectation that might not get fulfilled. The two quickly returned to their dinner as they listened to John and Delaney continue to speak.

“Life is going to get so much better now that I can see my baby whenever I want,” John gushed. Delaney laughed and gave him a quick peck on the cheek in response. “Enjoy this dinner, because none of you may see us again for a few weeks.”

“Okay, that’s enough of that talk,” Stephen said, scrunching his face in disgust. John laughed at his brother, knowing that he got uncomfortable whenever his own or anyone else’s sex life was brought up. “I will be glad to not see you two if those kind of activities will be going on…”

“I think that’s the parents cue to leave,” Mrs. Gomez laughed, rising out of her chair. “It was lovely to see you girls again, and Sophie, be sure to stop by a few more times before you leave!”

“Of course I will! I couldn’t visit Scottsdale and not go to the Gomez house!” Sophie replied, omitting the fact that she planned to spend every night over there anyways. She and Stephen didn’t think his parents would mind that Sophie was sleeping over, but they didn’t want to risk it.

After the adults left the room, the kids also decided to leave. They walked to the Gomez’s and after debating several possible activities, resorted to watching a movie in the basement. No one showed interest in having popcorn or other snacks, so they all sat in silence, enjoying each other’s company. Once the movie ended, they sat in the basement and awhile longer, talking about how they wished that they could go back to the previous summer, or for the next summer to hurry and show its’ face. Stephen’s phone buzzed with an invitation to a party, but all four declined, preferring to stay the small group for the night before meeting up with everyone the next day.
♠ ♠ ♠
Aaah I'm sorry this has taken so long to get out! It's taking me a lot longer to write this story, no idea why, hopefully that means it's better? Anyways, please please please comment and let me know what you think so far, even if it's just a smiley face, that still makes me happy.