Status: Done.

Salt in the Wound

Connections-part II.

--From the point of view of Gaara--

I looked back into her silver eyes, scanning her body and taking in her injured stance. It meant something to me that she would come find me even though it hurt her to move even the smallest inch.

I found comfort in her hand as it applied pressure to my shoulder, it was rare for someone to touch me and even as small as it was, it shook me to the core. “Gaara…please say something.” Her voice was like silk and I couldn’t help but close my eyes and nearly drown in it.

“What happened today, my intentions were not for you to get hurt. And…I apologize for that.” I reopened my eyes and turned towards her completely.

Her hand fell to her side and she looked up at me with a small smile on her lips. It was difficult for me to contain myself, this girl struck a chord inside me and it made me literally weak in the knees. I wanted to grab her and tell her she was mine, always. But my calm demeanor never faltered and I found it nearly impossible to look at her for more than a few seconds at a time.

“I know, I trust you Gaara. You’ve been good to me, better than most and for that I owe you my life.” She sat down and looked over at the setting sun. “Watch the day end with me.” She said quietly. I didn’t question her or deny her, instead I sat myself down and looked over at the sand with her.

We sat in comfortable silence, something seldom seen with people around me. A small smile graced my lips as I glanced over at her comfortable frame. As anyone could imagine, it was such a foreign feeling to me to actually feel connected with someone. The desire to be needed by someone was overpowering and for a minute I felt nothing but loathing for the world. I was broken out of my negative thinking by the gentle sweep of Ishiko’s black hair against my exposed neck. Her head rested on my shoulder, making me tense and yet comfortable.

“Hm.” The sound of defiance came from my mouth and yet I gently rested my head on top of hers. Her hair teased in the wind, every now and then brushing up against my cheek in a playful manner. Neither of us said anything but I knew she was smiling, I knew she was happy and in turn, so was I.

--From the point of view of Ishiko--

It happened again. That flutter in my heart that sent my mind reeling. The boy made of stone was suddenly showing me a slight amount of affection and it warmed me, making me want to believe that I could change him.

I had torn feelings for this boy. On one end I hated him, he was self centered and so angry it was difficult to be in the same room as him without feeling completely drained. But on the other end it was the complete opposite. I couldn’t get enough of those eyes and his intelligent way of speaking, the way he walked was enough to keep me wondering all day.

All these feelings came suddenly upon me, making me wonder if I hadn’t felt like this the whole time I had been here. Maybe even before that. As it was, he saved me from dying too early, he was the motivation to keep fighting. That had to mean something, right?

He suddenly shifted, lifting his head and turning his face towards my hair to secretly smell it. I didn’t dare move for fear that he would take it the wrong way but I couldn’t help myself. I turned my head upwards and looked into those turquoise eyes. Our faces were close but neither of us seemed to be uneasy about it.

When I was back in my village, I would sit in the grass and watch the sky go by, thinking of the future and what moments life would hold dear to me. My first relationship, my first kiss, the first time I made love. Even the day that one special boy asked me to be his wife. All these things went through my brain and each one I could picture perfectly. I smiled to think that each one of those things looked like this.

I found it difficult to describe this moment. There was no kiss or ravenous love making, no I love you’s or promises for a bright future. But there was this warm feeling in the pit of my stomach and mind, almost numbing.

It was my first real human connection.