Status: Done.

Salt in the Wound

Of moons, birds, and monsters.

“Who spread word of this supposed weapon?” Gaara said mostly to himself, his hand flew to his kanji and he rubbed his temple with frustration. Kankuro looked over at Temari and her eyes met mine, we were all thinking the same thing.

“You don’t think this weapon they are talking about is Ishiko, do you?” Temari said quietly. Gaara’s eyes flew open and locked on hers.

“That’s exactly what I think. Ishiko came from nowhere as far as these people know, it’s bound to raise suspicions. It doesn’t help that several people have seen what power she possess, as much as we‘ve tried to contain it. But what I don’t understand is who would try and jeopardize the treaty like this.” His icy eyes closed again.

“So what do we do?” Kankuro said, not meeting my eyes. “Those leaf shinobi are staying here for an undetermined amount of time, who knows when they will catch up with her and get the information they want.” My eyes widened, hurt.

“I’m smart enough to know my place. I know who I’m supposed to be, Kankuro. They won’t get any information out of me, I promise.” I said quietly, my eyes now locked on the pattern engraved on the wood floor.

“I trust you would Ishiko.” Gaara stood up from his desk and walked towards me. “But for the time being, I would like you to stay within your room for the next week as to not risk anything.” My eyes cut up towards his, locking on with a small glare. I knew where he was coming from, but that didn’t stop me from feeling hurt at all these sudden implications.

“Of course.” With a nod I turned on my heel and headed for the door, they had said all they were going to say to me.

The shades being pulled over every light source made the room cold. I slumped down against the door feeling all too much like a child who was being sent to bed without dinner.

Stupid Kazekages and all their stupid rules.

Standing up, I stalked over to the bed. I would just sleep my time away, I thought as I shimmied my pants off. I was down to my underwear and the grey undershirt I usually wore, my lack of clothing made my skin tingle as I slid under the blankets, cold with my absence. Turning over, I hugged one of the pillows to my slender body, trying to shut out the visions of those cold eyes. Oh, how you haunt me sometimes Gaara. The dim lighting quickly comforted me, and my eyes shut with the hopes of sweet dreams behind them.

He lashed out with terrifying force, bringing my body to the ground and swiping once more at my fallen figure. His blood mingled with my own as I stood up, eye to eye with him. He was my mirror image and from the beginning, my enemy. That’s how our destinies were decided, whoever killed first was deemed the superior. It was disturbing to know how almost evenly matched we were.

I charged towards him, ignoring the blue flames that danced on the ground around me. It was with one move I would kill him. His throat was in my sights and my teeth were bared to rip it out, but he turned in time to deflect the movement. Then, in a blur, my attacks became his attacks before I could feel my talons ripping through his armored flesh.

Blood, blood, and more blood. It dripped from one of the creatures mouth, his second head turning to stare at me with those crimson eyes. He was weak and couldn’t move to lash out any more. The winner of this battle was clear. “You won’t get far” his voice coiled the breeze in a manner that would make even the strongest demon bristle with fear.

“It’s too late, you’re dying.”

Those eyes brimmed with hate, maybe even the acceptance of defeat. No, he would never accept such a fate. “I promise, you won’t get far.”

I bristled my own body, my mouth snapping in his direction and releasing a growl that showed him his place now. He would be left here to die. “Hihouka, from the start I was stronger. You never had a chance, my brother.”


My eyes opened slowly, the images in my head dancing away with my newly met surroundings. My blankets had been tossed around as if I had been turning non stop in my sleep, troubled. It was clear as day and yet, so vague I didn’t understand a single frame. That name, Hihouka…I hadn’t ever heard it before but it seemed to coil around my insides and squeeze with terror. A small hiss came from inside me as Hitsuchi disapproved of my thoughts.

“Shush.” I said quietly to him.

The sun had gone down and my room was completely dark, stretching, I pulled myself out of bed and felt around the floor for my pants. After refastening them, I opened up the shades letting the blue moonlight flood my floor. The air outside was quiet, as usual. I found it strange however, the light in Gaara’s office was off. Gently, I hopped on to the roof and walked over to the far side to peer over the edge of the frontal side of the building. A figure in the distance ran down a street, followed by two others. Other than that, no one else was outside and lurking.

My heart raced, I wanted to run too, follow those people and find out who they were. But I wouldn’t. I was treated like a child but there was no way I would prove him right and step out of line like that. Laying back, I folded my hands under my head and crossed my ankles. The stars covered the sky and I found it relaxing to trace the pictures hidden within them with my eyes. The breeze carried the soft song of a nightingale up to the roof, and I smiled at the beautiful simplicity of its soft chirps. My black hair was getting longer, caressing my cheek in the gentle breeze. How this brought me back.

----

“It’s pretty.” Kimiko looked over from beside me and smiled, closing her brilliant silver eyes. I smiled back and turned to face the night sky once more. Kimiko was only seven years old and already showed many traits I held. It was only a matter of time before little Sumiko would develop them too. “When I grow up Ishi, can I be like you?”

I laughed lightly, turning back to look into her all serious face. “Why me? Wouldn’t you much rather be like you?” Her small face beamed with joy.

“No, I wanna be just like you. Pretty and strong, and smart too!”

“Silly girl, you already are all of those things. I bet when you grow up, you will be stronger and smarter and even prettier than me.” I winked at her and sighed, putting my attention back on the night sky. It was a warm summer evening and if mother knew Kimiko had followed me out, we both would have gotten it. But this was worth it. We sat in comfortable silence and watched the stars tremble and dance in the evening sky. “Aren’t you tired yet?” I asked softly as the night wore on.

I turned towards her when she didn’t answer and smiled. Her small body was curled up, sleeping in the soft grass beside me. Standing up, I stretched and looked out over at the grassy fields, appreciating everything there was to appreciate. Moments like these constantly reminded me of how perfect life could be. Kimiko was as light as a feather and not once did she wake as I ran back to the village with the small child safely in my arms.