Status: Done.

Salt in the Wound

A fate uncertain.

--From the P.O.V. of Gaara--

I watched angrily as she ran out my window, turning away from her leaving shadow. The nerve of some people. Her words left my mind reeling, and once again I was reassured in my decision to not let stupid human emotions conflict with my life. I slumped down in my office chair, suddenly overwhelmed by what had just happened. Maybe if she left she would be out of my hands and this whole Konoha problem would be fixed.

A part of me though desperately screamed, run after her. Please, don’t let her leave.

It’s not hard to smother a thought you don’t want around, it’s especially easy when another thought pushes it’s way in.

“I have tried to get closer to you but every attempt just gets shut down because you’re so damn stubborn.” Her words rang loudly in my head and that all too familiar feeling of pain in my chest shot through me. I could honestly say I hadn’t seen her make any attempt to get close to me, in fact the opposite, she seemed to know exactly what would push me farther away. I hated that stupid girl.

Not only was she a liar, she was worthless. Something that I definitely didn’t need to associate with.

Or at least I tried to tell myself that. I couldn’t help but notice how she crinkled up her nose every time she yelled, or how she happened to clench and unclench her hands whenever she was thinking of a retort. I shook the offending thought out of my head and glanced out the window.

Stupid girl, what have you done?

Someone knocked on the door and once I invited them in, Kankuro stood in the doorway with his hat between his hands. “Gaara, don’t be mad at Ishiko, it’s my fault for taking her out so please, take this out on me.”

I stared at him hard, wondering if I should tell him now that Ishiko was long gone. His pleading eyes met mine and I turned away from him with a scowl. “She’s gone.” I said flatly.

“What?” Kankuro titled his head to the side with an eyebrow raised. I shut my eyes and sighed.

“Did you not hear me? I said she left.” His hat fell to the ground and his confused expression suddenly twisted into something angry.

“What did you do to her?” He said through teeth clenched. I was getting tired of the lack of respect from everyone, since when did they forget I was the Kazekage. My hands unclenched and slammed down on my desk, my face twitching with rage.

“I did nothing to that girl. She left because her temper got the best of her and she didn’t know when to bite her tongue. Now unless you want to leave with her I suggest you watch what you say.” Temari came in behind Kankuro, a confused look on her face. Never less, she bowed politely and stepped to the side of the door.

“Ishiko left Suna.” Kankuro told her quietly, his eyes staring a hole through his hands. Temari opened her mouth to speak, but closed it. Her eyes feel on Gaara and softened.

“On her own will?” She asked.

“Technically speaking.” I answered curtly.

“Where do you think she would have gone?” Her voice trembled slightly and I nearly pitied her.

“She has no where to go, she could be headed anywhere.” Not that she had any friends outside of here, she didn’t even know any of the neighboring villages, the girl had practically ran out into a world she hadn’t ever seen.

I would be surprised if she survived the week.

--From the P.O.V. of Ishiko--

The dry wind stung my eyes as I ran out through the endless amounts of sand. He wanted me gone, well I certainly wasn’t there anymore. The gates of Suna were nearly out of my vision, and yet the sand just rolled on and on. It was stupid on my part, considering this was a strange new world to me, but I had faith that by night fall I would be somewhere relatively safe.

I didn’t have a plan, right now the plan was to get as far away as I could from him and that damned place. I was considering trying to find the ruins of my own village put the pang in my stomach made me change my mind.

The sand was becoming thicker, mixing with deep soil. It wasn’t long before trees came into view and I slowed myself down. The day was becoming dark and I was hoping that nothing would eat me while I tried to sleep tonight.

“Be careful.” Hitsuchi growled inside me, looking out for his well being rather than mine.

Jumping up into a high tree, I settled myself as comfortably as I could and looked over the sand, trying to catch view of the village. It wasn’t until a small breeze brushed my face did I realize I had been crying.