Status: Done.

Salt in the Wound

A traitor in our midst.

“Huh.” I opened an eye and peered through the dark brush, my hand firmly grasping a kunai. Sleep had not been so gracious with me this night as it had been before. Going to bed outside was more comforting than any bed. The sounds, the sky, the smells, it was definitely something I had gotten used to fast. Unfortunately, this night, something in the air stopped me from dreaming, something vicious. There was a rustle less than a couple feet away from where I was leaning. Standing up silently on my branch, I perched and stared patiently, waiting for whatever was bothering me to show itself.

I could hear whoever it was breathing ragged breaths, trying to be quiet.

Without warning, I pounced off my branch and landed swiftly on my opponent, pinning them backwards with a kunai pressed to their throat. It was a man, obviously startled at my sudden appearance. Judging by his clothing he was typical bandit scum. They littered this forest like leaves. “State your business.” I said firmly.

His eyes shifted to the left, then right, but never meeting my own piercing gaze. “Please, I have no business with you, I’m looking for Suna.” My eyes narrowed at his words, we were far off from the sand village.

“What do you have against the Sand ninja?” I asked once again, lowering my face closer to his.

He cracked as my kunai cut farther into his neck. “We are planning an ambush, it’s said several Daimyo are expected to pay a visit to Suna within the next two months.” He shuddered as I stared.

“You are a complete idiot. You honestly think a group of bandits would be able to catch the feudal lords by surprise?” I flipped the Kunai in my hand so it’s pointed tip was aimed directly at his throat.

“Normally, no! But Suna’s defenses are low because of those accusations from Konoha!” He was sweating nervously, his eyes widening as he saw my arm fall slightly.

“What accusations?” He didn’t answer at first, not until I took him up by the collar and forced him against the broad base of the tree. “Answer me.” I told him, eye to eye.

“There was a paper bomb attack in Konoha not long ago, they blamed Suna for it and everyone says the alliance is nearly non existent now. It’s the perfect time to strike.” I laughed and for a second I thought he was going to cry.

“You won’t step a foot anywhere near my Suna.” He didn’t even have time to whimper before he was dead.

----

I had trained myself not think about them, but with this unfortunate news I couldn’t help but wonder how Gaara was dealing with this. I didn’t doubt for a minute Suna was innocent, it had started with me after all and they were just as clueless as the next person. It was the next following weeks all I could dream about were those piercing eyes. He never left me alone, and I took it for all it was worth.

Just a dream was all.

I didn’t hate him, in fact, I held him in my highest respects. If it weren’t for him I never would have gotten the courage to leave and help myself figure out how to control the demon. And for that I could thank him. Never less, it still hurt to think about him. I cared, deeply for the boy, as much as I hated to admit it. He might have been cruel, but on a deeper level you knew that kid just wanted someone to be there.

Just not me.

My training got harder, I had nearly tripled my skill from when I left the sand village to now. After all this time I could finally admit, Gaara was right.

I could use Hitsuchi’s powers to my advantage, all on my own.

Something had changed with my demon, I could feel his anxiety every morning upon waking till the moment I fell asleep. He wouldn’t tell me, but he could sense a looming danger. Which is probably why he was so open to the idea of lending me his chakra, after all, if I couldn’t protect myself and I died, he would perish as well.

I still regarded him with the same amount of hate I always had, but he was helpful I could admit.

---

The curiosity was killing me.

“I won’t go there, maybe just near there.” I told myself as I set out one early morning. I needed to be near Suna, something called me forth and I couldn’t contain it any longer. It had been decided (a mutual decision between myself and I) that now was the time I would return to my own ancient village, or what was still there anyway.

It was a small three hours from the walls of Suna, a safe distance and yet close enough to feel like I’m giving into that gnawing temptation. I hadn’t been there since the day I was resurrected. Something always stopped me. Maybe it was knowing once I was there, I would be face to face with that day once more. Forced to relive the tragedy. Whatever it was kept me at bay, until now.

Every night I slept as I made my way over to the hidden light village, Gaara’s dream eyes were now paired with those bright silver orbs that seemed so familiar. They hovered, and blinked, and stared, an endless pool of energy pulled back in a corner of my mind. I wasn’t scared anymore, I wasn’t sad, but I sure as hell wasn’t prepared.

Kimiko, I’m finally coming home.