Status: Done.

Salt in the Wound

Revelations.

“I really think,” Kankuro’s bewildered face turned towards me, but his eyes never left the sight in front of him, “he’s dead.” It almost sounded like a question. It would have been comical if I hadn’t been genuinely concerned.

“What did you do Ishiko?” Temari said, bowing down and poking the limp arm, flinching. “I think Kankuro might be right, he sure looks dead.” She stood up and stared wide eyed, her mouth edging upwards like she wanted to scream and run away.

“Oh come on, he’s breathing!” I yelled defending myself. The sand siblings bent forward at the same time, taking a closer look. “Or at least…I think he’s breathing.” I wasn’t so sure now. I turned away, slapping a hand to my forehead. I hope this wasn’t my fault. I couldn’t even imagine how horrible repercussions would be for this. Kankuro finally straightened himself out, staring at me through startled eyes.

“Ishiko, you killed our Kazekage.” My hands clenched and I limped over to the bed, desperate to prove them wrong.

--------------

I had woken up with the sun in my face, the shades being left open all night. Stiffly, I managed to sit myself up, slightly blinded by the vicious light. I pulled my arms above my head, stretching out the sore mass in my back and shoulders, my hands fell back and landed on something alive. I couldn’t react in time to stop the scream from coming out, luckily, I didn’t reel back far enough to fall off the bed. It took me a moment to understand what I was seeing and when I did I nearly screamed again. Gaara was sprawled out on my bed, fully dressed and completely out. His eyes and mouth were closed and I wasn’t sure if I heard him taking any air in. “Gaara…” I crawled over to him, grabbing his shoulder and shaking it softly.

No response.

“Gaara, are you…sleeping?” I asked quietly, directed more to myself than the limp figure in front of me. “Or are you…dead?” Wide eyed, I leaned back again. Concerned for Gaara I made my way off the bed and circled around. “Come on, don’t do this.” I shook him a little harder, still receiving no response. I turned away suddenly, completely scared. “KANKURO!” I yelled, stumbling awkwardly over to the door. With one last look back I tumbled out into the hall and crawled towards Kankuro’s door, I wasn’t even going to bother knocking. I flung the door open and my eyes fell on the tangled mess that was Kankuro asleep. I struggled to stand up, having left my crutches in the room, I wasn’t supposed to be moving this much. “Kankuro please wake up! Something is wrong!” I shook him and when he didn’t respond I shouted out and fell back. Was everyone dead? He stirred and peered through one open eye.

“What are you screaming about?” He said lazily. I flung myself at him, ignoring the pain that flooded my body.

“You’re not dead, Oh Kami, you’re just sleeping.” I muttered into his shirt, he pulled me up by the collar and stared at me intently.

“What the hell are you talking about?” I gaped at him, this was the first time I had ever seen his face without make up. I smiled widely, he was actually quite attractive under all that paint. Suddenly I remembered why I had come storming in here.

“Something is wrong with Gaara!” I whimpered into his bed sheets. He sat up suddenly, now alert.

“What happened!?” He yelled tossing the bed sheets away from him. “Where is he?” He snapped his head at me, I was struggling to get up, my hands close to giving in as I used his bed to support me. Impatiently, he picked me up roughly ignoring my cry of pain. I narrowed my eyes at him and pointed.

“He’s in my room, he’s not moving.” He pushed his door back open and ran down the hall, considerably trying to be more gentle with me. When he caught sight of Gaara’s limp body he practically dropped me. “Kankuro!” I complained as he set me down roughly, my back hitting the wall. Ignoring me he ran over to his brother, shaking slightly. He wouldn’t touch him. Turning back on me he kneeled in front of me, running his hand soothingly over my knee.

“I’m sorry Ishiko,” his voice was shaking, “I didn’t mean to drop you but you need to tell me what happened!” I put my head down.

“I don’t know honestly. We were discussing the Konoha case and…stuff.” I shifted my eyes over to Gaara’s figure, “and then I went to bed.” Kankuro stared at me confused.

“Well what is he doing in here?”

“I asked him to stay with me last night!” I bit my lip, on the verge of tears. I had somehow killed the Kazekage, not a good thing to do. “Nothing happened! I mean, we kissed but hardly anything else-”

“You kissed who?” Temari peeked her head in through the door, looking down on us with a coy look on her face. She walked in and look around nonchalantly, when her eyes fell on Gaara she dropped the paperwork all over the floor. “Ga-Gaara?” She stumbled over to him, her hand falling on his cheek. “Go get somebody!”

Before I could stop myself I shouted out, “Don’t!” They turned towards me, startled. “Listen, I honestly think he’s just sleeping.” Temari raised an eyebrow at me, then at her brother.

“Gaara doesn’t sleep.”

I nodded, waving the statement away with my hand. “I know that, but I asked him to stay with me last night. It’s very possible he is just sleeping. I know he doesn’t look like he’s breathing but if you listen closely, it sounds like he is.” I got up on my knees and watched the siblings lean in, taking in what I had said.

---------------

I parted his mouth, smiling in relief as his warm breath tickled my palm. He was breathing, he was just more relaxed than he ever had been. “I told you I didn’t kill him. He’s just sleeping.” I leaned back, finally being able to appreciate how cute it was.

Temari snorted, turning away. “I’ve never seen anyone sleep like that. What a freak.” She walked over to her papers, shuffling them back up. Her face upturned towards me, grinning. “Was I mistaken or did I hear you had kissed?” My cheeks flushed red and I looked away. I spotted out of the corner of my eye Kankuro turn away.

“It was nothing.” I lied. She laughed loudly and shook her head.

“Oh it was definitely something. Gaara doesn’t kiss anyone.” She laughed and ran out of the room, promising to discuss this further with me. I was left alone with Kankuro and the nearly lifeless Gaara, it was awfully quiet.

“You know what?” He broke the silence, staring up at him from the bed he smiled. “I’m happy for Gaara. It’s about time he had a chance to find someone worth his time.” I smiled, lowering my eyes.

“You think so?”

“Of course, he listens to you. That’s rare.” He smirked down at me, “but remember, if he ever lets you get away, I’m snatching you right up.” I laughed and held my arms open for him to hug me. His bare chest was warm against my skin, and his breath tickled my neck. I couldn’t thank him enough for simply being there, he could never know how much it meant to me. I hoped this war could all be avoided. I wish I could find Roka and let him have me. Better than having everyone I cared about getting hurt. I smiled sadly, trying to avoid that negative thought that was forcing it’s way in my head. Kankuro pulled away, smiling at me and then at Gaara.

“Well, thanks for the wake-up call but I’m going back to bed.” He kissed me on the forehead and walked off, leaving me next to Gaara. Honestly, sitting next to him gave me the creeps. I knew he was alive but still… he didn’t look like he was. Yawning, I rolled myself over and hobbled towards my crutches, I still hadn’t gotten used to walking with them. I opened the balcony doors and smiled into the warm sunlight that fell over my shoulders, a small breeze carrying the sounds of the bustling village.

I needed to set a plan down. If I could find Roka I could hand myself over to him, avoiding the war completely. Hitsuchi growled lowly inside of me, making silent threats. Maybe I wouldn’t do that. I wanted to tell myself I could kill Roka and Hihouka but something told me otherwise. As soon as I got healthier I needed to train. Please, let this war wait until I’m better. If Konoha declared war first right now, all I would be able to do is hide. I’m a shinobi dammit, I don’t hide when war rages on. I lost track of time while thinking, something that happened more often than I‘d like to admit.

“What time is it?” I snapped my head back suddenly, shocked at the drifting voice. Gaara sat up, stretching his arms and looking around with half lidded eyes.

“I‘m not sure right now.” Nodding, he stood up and ignored my stare. “How do you feel?” He turned towards me, a soft smile playing on his lips.

“Even more tired than I felt before.” He took a stand next to me and leaned against the railing, tossing his head back into the warm sun. “But it wasn’t completely terrible I suppose.”

“I thought you had died.” I said suddenly, earning a confused look. “You didn’t move, at all.” He smirked and turned his face back into the light.

“All you had to do was shake me.” I smiled at the ground, feeling that familiar warmth in my chest.

“I’ll remember that.”

----------------

“Ishiko, I’ve been meaning to ask you about last night.” I froze suddenly, the heat rising to my cheeks. “What happened when you closed your eyes and who is this Roka Toru?” In the clear. My eyes relaxed and I gazed up at him with fear on my face.

“He’s the man who made the tags in Konoha and who spread the rumor you had a weapon here. He’s initiating this war to get closer to me.”

“I don’t understand, how do you know this?” He said, standing still.

“Because, not only is he after Hitsuchi, but he’s after me as well. You see, he is the host to Hihouka, Hitsuchi’s brother. He was a man from my village but when he was cast out he swore to exact revenge. Hihouka offered to help him if Roka would help kill Hitsuchi. Neither of us were supposed to survive that night. Roka won’t die naturally, the demon keeps him alive just like it did with me.” I looked up into his eyes, pleading. “He knows what is dear to me and he wants to hurt it. That’s why he is trying to start a war, so I can watch this village die too.” My eyes wandered over to the open window, watching sand swirl gracefully through the air. “Once I die, Hitsuchi dies. Then both Roka and Hihouka get what they have wanted for so long.”

“I won’t let him get you Ishiko.” Gaara followed my gaze and narrowed his eyes, “don’t convince yourself we are so weak just yet.”
“I don’t doubt you for a second, but watching Hihouka wipe out my village like it was nothing more than a scrap of trash really made an impression on me.” I fell backwards on to my bed, spreading my arms gently. He watched me squirm with curious intent, his face suspiciously lustful. I caught his stare and he turned away suddenly, rambling off topic.

“About last night,” I cut him off and watched him tilt his mouth, he stared at his hands as if he had nothing better to stare at. “Would you do it again?” I remembered what Temari had said, and if he truly never kissed anyone then this had better mean something promising. He sighed and met my eyes, dropping his hands, watching me walk towards him.

“Ishiko,” his hand reached out as if he wanted to touch me, but he dropped it quickly. “This is all very confusing for me, you have to understand.” As soon as his words reached me I lowered my eyes. This was nothing more than a waste of my time. “It’s all just a bad idea.” I nodded, unable to speak let alone meet his eyes. I could feel the tears brimming so I turned my head away, wishing he would just go. His cold hand met my cheek, turning my face back towards him. “But just because it’s a bad idea doesn’t mean I wouldn’t do it again.”

I opened my eyes, willing the tears not to slip out as I smiled. They fell down my cheeks anyway. “Then prove it.” I whispered. He was gentle at first, hesitant and sweet as his lips brushed against mine. He turned me along side with him so that my back was facing the wall, never forcing our lips apart. It wasn’t long after did he turn more persistent, crushing his mouth into mine and pinning me to the wall with his body.

“You don’t know what you do to me.” He said breathlessly as he took his mouth from mine, no sooner reaching back down to enter my mouth. I moaned into the kiss as his hand traveled up my spine, soft and sweet. I couldn’t help but get the feeling he was holding back more than he would’ve liked. “You confuse me.” His mouth lowered, brushing against my neck. “You frustrate me beyond belief.” Teeth ran down towards my collarbone, “and most of all you intrude my thoughts,” his tongue swept quickly across my skin, “more than I would like.” he was just teasing me now. I grabbed him by the arms and swung him towards the wall, my body now pinning him.

“If you’re not going to get to the point, then don’t talk.” I growled, forcing my body closer to his. My hands ran the length of his chest and I took my mouth to his neck, gingerly nipping at sensitive areas. He tried to suppress a moan but failed considerably. I smiled and brought my mouth back up to his, softly kissing him once more before I broke away and looked into those turquoise eyes I had learned to appreciate.

“My point is,” he breathed heavily, wrapping his arms around my waist, “you are precious to me and I might just need you after all.”
♠ ♠ ♠
This chapter is especially important. So far it's my favorite and easily the longest I've written. It marks the turning point in the story :D finally! I have issues keeping my attention on one story for too long, but not this time. I would really like to hear what everyone has to say about this one, just to reassure me I've made the right choices for all my characters :3
Thanks again for reading! Chapter 30 will be out no later than tomorrow.