Status: Done.

Salt in the Wound

Preparations.

I woke up stiff to the sound of birds. My window had been opened allowing a cool breeze to wash over me. Not surprised, I was alone in the bed. Judging by the sunlight I had been asleep for no longer than two hours, a nap at most. I got out of bed and smiled when I noticed the neatly folded pile of clothes at my feet. Once I was dressed and my hair had been brushed to it’s flattest I wandered out into the hall in search of somebody. Gaara’s door was cracked open and without knocking I pushed it open. He sat at his desk, scribbling words on a piece of paper and then placing it in a stack next to his elbow. He turned his head up when he saw me and strangely, a small smile formed.

And by saying his smile was small, I mean it was hardly noticeable. Once you got used to his constant lack of facial movement however, even the smallest muscle movement is noticed. “Ishiko.” He nodded and returned to his papers. I pulled up a chair besides him and sifted through the untouched pile.

“These are out of order.” I commented. He nodded and frowned.

“I accidentally pushed them off my desk, I thought I had rearranged them correctly.” Laughing slightly, I shifted them back into their proper order and set them back down. “Are you feeling alright?”

“I’m very well, thank you.” A blush creeped in under my skin as I watched him move fluidly with his writing. It was graceful and smooth, not a flaw in it. Suddenly, he stopped and turned towards me with a bothered look.

“It was told to me that Konoha has began traveling in this direction. It takes approximately three days to get here from where they stand.” My heart sank and I looked out the window, wondering if at any moment I would see Roka standing there grinning at me again.

Gaara could make all the promises he wanted to, but in the end someone with no soul stands no chance. If Hitsuchi emerged from my body, I would die. I pushed that thought away and forced a smile to my lips. “Well then, I suppose we best be getting ready right? No time for paperwork Gaara. We need a plan, where is Temari?”

----

“Half of us wait here.” Temari had laid out a map of Suna on the table, pointing towards the crevice that led into the village. “We keep our long range fighters in the wall, behind the defensive cover. The rest of us split up into teams of four heading out and wait for whoever decides to sneak around near any of those points.” She pulled another piece of paper out of her obi and set it on the table. “I have taken the liberty of splitting up those teams for you.” I looked over Gaara’s shoulder at the names.

“Hold on,” I glared up into Temari’s sheepish grin. “I’m not on this list.” I stood up and glared down at her. “Don’t tell me I’m being locked up somewhere.”

“Ishi, it’s for your own safety. You are important to all of us,” her eyes flickered over to her youngest brother. “If you died then-” I cut her off.

“If I die than I die with honor. You can’t honestly expect me to stand by and do absolutely nothing.”

“Actually I can. And you will. There is no way you are dying on my watch.” I was about to complain further until Gaara raised his hand.

“If you lock her up she will just find a way out and act recklessly. Let her group with me. At least that way I can keep her out of harm’s way and watch over her.” Temari bit back her lip and finally gave in.

“Now there is an odd number in my groups. Whatever.” She scowled and returned her attention back towards the map in front of us. “We have sent a couple of ANBU officials to pinpoint their exact location, they should be back here reporting to you no later than tomorrow evening.” Gaara nodded and no doubt about it I was truly impressed with her dedication to this. It was hard keeping a secret. I figured the war that was coming wouldn’t last too long when it was revealed there had been a common enemy among all of us, a shadow lurking right under everyone’s feet. There was no point in training, I had gotten in what needed to be done and there was no point tiring myself out. I turned towards the sand siblings and bowed, my hands together.

“Excuse me for a minute.” I brought my head back and locked onto Gaara’s suspicious eyes, narrowing as if trying to probe inside my head. Tearing away I headed back to my room and sat myself in the middle of my bed. Closed eyes and hands together, I went back.

“What’s going to happen when Roka and Hihouka face us?” My face turned towards the dragon’s much larger one, staring into his single red eye.

“Nothing good.” He turned away and rested his head on the ground, trying to tune me out.

“Just tell me one thing Hitsuchi. And I swear I will leave you alone. Am I going to die?” He brought his head up suddenly and looked at me almost sympathetically. Grunting, he turned away.

“If I am forced to leave your body, you will die. Unless you can manage to kill Roka before he comes close to killing you, I won’t have to fully emerge. Would you be willing to die?”

“If I couldn’t kill Roka first…then yes. I would give my life so that you could have the chance to kill your brother and stop this murderous violence. But do one thing for me if it comes down to that…in payment for using my body.” I shook in the damp cave, my body cold. “Keep Hihouka away from this village and keep him away from these good people.” His head bowed deeply before it turned away and rested again, sleeping away like the world was unchanging.

My eyes snapped open and I fell back on the bed, strangely cold. Visions of that hollow face haunting me every time I happened to shut my eyes. When Konoha struck, I would have no other choice than to get away from Gaara. The closer he was to me the closer he was to Roka. Something I had already told myself I simply wouldn’t allow.

I spent the rest of the day sharpening my tools and cleaning off what needed to be cleaned, including around Gaara’s office. He watched me move about, organizing his papers, dusting his belongs, and finding the smallest things to worry about. “You seem…nervous.” He said finally when I stood in the middle of the room to look around and admire my hard work. As his words hit me, I turned to look at him. Closing my eyes to block out the threatening tears.

“I wish this could all be done and over with…I can’t tell you how agitating this is for me having to wait around wasting my time with a feather duster.” I lifted the duster in my hand and shook it, dropping it to my side with a sigh. “I need you to do something for me. I hardly ask for anything, but this time I’m begging you.”

“Hm?” His eyes hardened as he peered through me with hesitation.

“Don’t be audacious when you need to be careful. There are people who need you, so whatever may come, don‘t be brave for my sake.” Lips parted as if to protest but were quickly closed.

A faint but familiar smirk dashed across his face, “you speak too big for your size Ishiko.” I hadn’t heard that line since we had first met. “This man you claim is after you, let it be known you won’t be fighting by yourself.” I smiled tightly, if only he knew how completely wrong he was.