Status: Done.

Salt in the Wound

A strong opponent.

The time had by then evaded me when a small, timid knock sounded throughout the chamber. I looked up at the woman who crossed the threshold, my head still hanging low. She was an older woman, graying hair and a crinkle in the eyes. There was a sad air to her, like a hole in her life that could not be fixed and yet she was able to pull a smile across her face. “Lord Kazekage has sent me to clean you up.” Her voice said softly, as sweet as sugar. “I will wash your clothes for you and bathe you. We must clean up those wounds of yours as well.” She smiled widely at me. I opened my mouth to say something, but turned away instead.

“That’s very kind of you Ma’am. I appreciate this greatly.” My voice trembled a little bit. I watched as she set up the basin and filled it with hot water. A separate container held more hot rinsing water with a soap sheath floating on top. She laid a sleeping gown out across the bed, telling me to remove my clothing.

“Don’t be shy, it’s nothing I haven’t seen before darling.” She smiled, helping my take off the outer layers. I piled the dirt ridden clothes by the door and stepped into the basin. The water was hot and smelled of flowers, similar to those my sisters and I used to pick for our mother. “How old are you dear?” She asked, scrubbing dirt off my back with the soap sheath. My arms wrapped around my knees and my short black hair clung to the wet spots on my neck. I couldn’t tell if I wanted to speak with someone about things or if I just wanted all to be silent.

Figuring it was better than talking to the all evasive Kazekage, I decided to open up. “Sixteen. Almost nearly Seventeen.” I mumbled.

“Just a child. What are you doing behind these walls then?”

“I can’t quite say. Maybe for protection? For study? I wasn’t really told.” I turned my head to look at her. “You have lived here all your life?”

“Indeed I have. Why do you ask?” She took one of my arms and extended it, carefully scrubbing around every cut.

“I was wondering what kind of person your Kazekage is. I’ve spoken with him maybe two times, doesn’t seem to be a man of many words.” I saw her smile warm up and her eyes met mine.

“Our Kazekage wasn’t always looked at the way he is now. People simply adore him for what he has done for us and you can tell he genuinely cares about his people. But there was in fact a time where our Gaara of the Desert was shunned and mistreated.”

“Because of the Shukaku?” I questioned.

She nodded and looked somewhat sad once more. “Because of the Shukaku. Gaara was merciless. The demon who loved only himself…he had no one. His entire family turned against him, either out of fear or pure hate. Poor child, no wonder he gave up. The only people he has now are his older siblings, and as close as they are he still seems to prefer being alone. He does not speak much, no. But when he does he speaks wisely for a boy of his age. Our youngest Kazekage, but surely one of our best.” I turned my leg outwards for her, continuing to cover up my indecency the best I could. “And what about you? You have a story I assume?”

“Who doesn’t?” I asked. My voice came out sounding grieved and I could tell from the way she dropped the subject she had heard it as well. Few words were exchanged after that. Not that I minded however. Company was good whether I spoke or not. Anything but being alone with the demon within me. She rinsed me off and took me out of the bath.

“Now time for these cuts.” She whispered. Out of an apron she wore around her waist, she pulled out bandages and ointments. It took no less than ten minutes for her to wrap me up nicely and get me re-dressed. “Ah, I almost forgot.” She went over to a basket that had been set by the door upon arriving and opened it. “Soup?” My eyes lit up, I was starving and nothing sounded better than a warm meal. She pulled out a bowl and a spoon, complete with a smaller bowl full of rice and veggies.

“That was excellent Ma’am.” I said after swallowing my last bite. She laughed happily.

“Please, call me Grandma Jun. Everyone else does.” I smiled back at her, warm and full.

“My name is Ishiko.” I helped her pack away the dishes and the rest of her things before she went. “It was nice meeting you.” I said, a smile on my face and my hand behind my head. “I appreciate all you’ve done, you are most respectable Grandma Jun.” I bowed to her as she did to me and she left with happy farewells.

The room seemed darker. I sighed, feeling once again alone. A small moment of happiness in a miserable world. But what was I supposed to do? What if the world had changed and nothing was as I remember, after all, I haven’t the slightest clue how long I was dead for. I would know no where else to turn. I crawled into the cot and pulled the paper thin covers over myself, looking for any kind of comfort here. I drifted into a dreamless void not too long after.

“He’s coming.” Hitsuchi said, pulling me out of my sleep. “He wants to see what we are capable of.”

I sat up and looked around, no one was here. Then the door opened and in the doorway was the silhouette of the boy named Gaara, a gourd strapped to his back. “You’re awake.” He stated flatly.

“Yes, I wanted to thank you for sending the Lady Jun to clean and dress me earlier today. It was very gracious of you to consider.” I gave a small bow and in return received an even smaller nod.

“Here are your clothes. Get in them, I will be taking you to the training grounds to see what power you possess. Someone will be here to take you in ten minutes.” I took the clothes from his hands and looked into his cold eyes. He stared intently back for less than four seconds and turned away, closing me back in.

Getting dressed was difficult. My body was stiff and sore from sleeping on what might as well have been a rock. It was a shame I was going to be doing this, considering I just had bandages put on and was spotless. It took me less than four minutes to get dressed and ready and in no time a knock sounded at the door. A man stepped through looking me up and down. “So you’re the girl Gaara is so interested in. Well, I don’t blame him.” The man’s face was painted with intricate purple lines and he wore a different style of headband than the rest. I blushed at hearing his words, almost insulted at his lack of reverence. He circled around my form, looking me up and down as he went. When he came full circle and was standing in front of me he gave a small bow. “My name is Kankuro. What’s yours?”

“Ishiko.” I said coldly, earning a smirk from him.

“You’ve got some fire in you. I like that.” He held his hand out towards the door, signaling me to start walking. “Don’t try anything stupid either, I won’t hesitate to stop you.” He said from my side. It took us a short amount of time, and even that was too much time to be around Kankuro, the boy would not stop trying to steal glances at me and it made me uneasy. Their training grounds were large and it made me wonder if the majority of this village devoted their time to militant strength. In the middle of the ring-like floor, stood Gaara. Arms crossed and all.

We walked over to him where he looked us up and down. “Feeling any better?” He asked me.

“Not by much.” I answered shortly. Kankuro grabbed my hand and bowed to me, winking at me quickly before bounding off to the side lines. The doors shut and it was only us three. “Is he staying?” I asked.

“Kankuro will be here the entire time, he is documenting your display of powers for me. When we are done, he will take you back. The rules for this are simple, you must try to harm me in any way possible.” My eyes opened wide as he stepped back with his arms still crossed, he focused on me and nodded. “Begin.”