Status: Done.

Salt in the Wound

A place to call home.

“Would you like to see the village?” Gaara asked me from the doorway. Yawning, I gently rolled out of the cot and nodded.

“That would be nice.” I said stiffly. He waited for me to walk past him before closing the door. He had the gourd strapped to his back and walked with his arms folded, exactly the same way he stood.

“How are your injuries feeling?” He inquired. It had been several weeks since our fight, several weeks of non-stop bed rest and healing remedies. And I still ached.

“Better I suppose. A few cracked ribs can‘t keep me down for long.” I cast a sideways glance at him, watching the small smirk that always appeared when I did what he called “spoke too big for my size.” Ever since our fight, he had gradually gotten kinder. We talked every now and then about my past and Hitsuchi, and ways for me to overcome it. Honestly, I couldn’t wait for my bones to heal and get back into training.

The sun shone brightly over the Sand Village, people were out and about and children played in the streets. It had a happy sort of feel to it, laid back and gentle. “You have a lovely village here Gaara. You’ve done well and made your people happy.”

“Are you happy?” It was such a sudden question I didn’t answer immediately. Not that I would have had an answer even if I was prepared.

“It’s hard to say.” He gave me a questionable look, urging me to continue. I bit my lip and glanced around at all the smiling people, envy in my eyes. “I sleep in a cell and see the light of day maybe once every two weeks. It’s surely not the life anyone would ever wish for. But then again, you have given me more than I did have. Without you I would be wandering the desert, a walking corpse at best. So perhaps it’s best to say I’m more content than happy.” I looked over at him, his icy eyes transfixed on mine.

“Well, considering your control over the demon these past weeks, I suppose it’s only fair to give you proper sleeping quarters.” He kept his face straight ahead, leaving me nothing to look at but my own feet.

“That’s kind of you.” I answered.

“There is someone I would like you to meet. Her name is Temari and she will be helping train you once your bones are fully healed.” We walked for a small while longer, giving me time to appreciate the beauty of the village. There wasn’t much in the way of trees, but there was an appealing softness from the sand that no flora could match. It wasn’t long before we stopped at an apartment, where Gaara knocked swiftly.

“Gaara-sama! It’s been some time since I’ve seen you, been pretty busy I hea-” She caught sight of me and blushed, looking around. “Oh sorry, I didn’t see you there.” She laughed nervously and rubbed the back of her head. “Well, come in you two. No point in talking on my doorstep.”

“Temari, I have some matters to take care of. Would you keep an eye on Ishiko for me while I am away?” She nodded with her eyes wide and he set off running.

“Well, this is sudden.” She stepped aside to let me through. Her apartment was small with not much in the way of decoration. A few picture frames and a fan was all. “I’m Temari, Gaara’s sister. But I’m sure he already told you that. Are you thirsty?” She beamed at me and I nodded lightly.

“Water would be great.” She handed me a cup full and sat across from me. “Gaara told me you were going to help train me once I was fully healed. That’s why he took me over here I’m assuming.”

“Ah, so you are his newly founded apprentice. The whole village is talking about it ya know. So what’s the deal with you?” She blushed again and laughed. “I mean, where are you from?”

“It’s…hard to explain.” I said looking at my scuffed boots. Right now wasn’t the time to tell a novel to a girl I had just met. She made a small noise and quickly changed the subject.

“Have you gotten a chance to meet Kankuro?” I perked up at hearing the name.

“The puppet master?” She nodded and I laughed. “That I have. Is he of relation to you?”

“He is Gaara and mines brother. Quite a character right?” She smiled and looked over to a picture of herself, Gaara, and Kankuro. All when they were quite younger. “You wouldn’t believe the way Gaara was when he was younger…you’re lucky to have met him at this time in his life.”

“So I’ve heard. He doesn’t socialize much does he?” I drained the last of my water and held it awkwardly in my hands.

“Not really. It’s not that he doesn’t want to, it’s more like…he doesn’t know how. Being ostracized his whole life really made an impression on him. He tries. Like with you, I’ve heard he talks to you more than he does anyone else. Or so Kankuro says, he could be exaggerating.” Looking out the window and the cloudless sky, her words brought a strange sort of comfort to me.

“Maybe it’s because I don’t know him like everyone else does. They have grown with him and yet, I’ve just met him. I would have assumed he has always been like this.” She nodded and sighed.

“It would have been nice.” A knock on the door interrupted us. “Come in.” She called. Gaara stepped in and looked around, his eyes finding me.

“Thank you Temari.” He gave a small bow to her and ushered me up. “Come Ishiko, I have something to show you.” Temari stood up and walked us to the door, waving as we walked away. I would have run but any movement still jolted me. Making me appreciate all the more Gaara’s will to not rush me. We exchanged no words on our walk back to the Kazekage’s building and once we were inside he guided me down a series of unknown doors. We stopped at one in particular. An ornate door with a gold knob and hand carved designs set in the wood, it was something I could have stared at for hours. He nodded at me and I turned the cold handle slowly. The room was large with a painted domed ceiling and a balcony overlooking the village through a pair of glass doors. A decorated canopy bed stood against the wall with blankets that looked completely untouched and next to it, planted on the wall, were several stocked bookshelves. It was a beautiful room that took my breath away. “This was my room, now it’s yours.”

“I can’t take your room, where will you sleep?” I questioned.

“I don’t. This room does nothing for me but hold my books and clothes. This is no inconvenience for me, I promise.” He watched as I walked around the room, running my fingers over every detailed piece of wood and fabric, relishing in the fact that I had never even seen something so lavish.

“It’s beautiful, and I couldn’t thank you enough.”

“It’s nothing. I will leave you to adjust to your new space.” He walked off not sparing a look back at me as I did to him.