What would you do if you had to marry your cousin?

The Wedding

Annie didn’t know what to do; he heart was beating faster than ever, and her palms were covered in sweat. She decided she should turn around slowly just to see who it is. Out of the darkness came her mother.

“Don’t be afraid; it’s just me,” her mother’s voice said coming forward.

“Mother, I can explain, I…,” Annie said frantically.

“I know what you are doing, and I can’t blame you. I know everything that Cousin Bob has done, and is trying to do to you. I have seen him kiss and touch you and how you have the look of someone terrified and someone in great pain in your eyes.”

“So, you’re not going to stop me?” Annie said confused.

“No, but I want to give you something; follow me.” Annie’s mother led her to the tiny closet in the kitchen. She flung the door open, and on the side there was a skinny, heavy, white box. ‘Mary’ was written in quail pen on the top of the box.

“This was my wedding dress when I was your age,” her mother said picking up the lid of the box and holding up the dress.

“It’s beautiful!” Annie said. She was amazed by the style and the look of it, and she instantly fell in love with it.

“I want you to wear it to your wedding today,” her mother said warmly.

“Thank you so much mother, I love this dress,” Annie gave her mother a huge hug and grabbed the dress.

“Hang on; I have some shoes in here to.”

Her mother handed her flawlessly white shoes, they weren’t very high, and they were pointy, but Annie loved them.

“Well, put on the dress and shoes, and I will put the money in your bag.”

Annie gave her mother a huge hug, and then went into the other room to put on her dress.

In minutes she returned looking like Cinderella going to a ball.

“You look beautiful darling, now come on; we are going to be late for your wedding.”

“We? You mean your coming?!” Annie said excitedly.

“Yes, but Cousin Bob and your father will be coming to if you don’t keep your voice down.”

“Right,” she said picking up her bag and slowly walking out the door with her mother right behind her.

Just like every time before, Annie was the last one there. The pastor was there, with John in front of him, and on John’s left were Jack and Thomas, his best men, and on the right were Leonora and Catherine, Annie’s bride’s maids. John had a smile that went from ear to ear, until he seen Annie’s mother behind her.

“Don’t worry everyone, I am not going to say anything to my husband, or Cousin Bob, I am here to watch my daughter be joined in holy matrimony, with a person she truly loves.”

Hearing this, everyone let out a sigh of relief and Annie walked down the path with rose bushes clearing the way. They tried to make it look like an aisle. She grabbed a couple roses from the bushes clearing the path for the aisle, and continued her long walk.

When she finally got to the huge rock (meant to be the alter) where the pastor began talking.

“You look beautiful with that dress on, I bet it looks even better off you,” John said looking at her. Annie just giggled and smiled.

“Dearly beloved, we are gathered her today to join John Speigle and Annie Warren in hold matrimony, now it is my pleasure to ask who gives this women to this man today?”

“I do,” her mother said smiling.

“Now, John you may state your vows,” Pastor James said.

John took a deep breath, and then grabbed Annie’s hands in his, looked into her sparkling eyes, and began.

“Annie, since we were little, we were best friends, and now you are my best friend, my lover, and my soul mate. I can’t imagine a life without you; I will do anything for you, I will take care of you in sickness and in health, for richer or poorer, till death do us part. I never said anything because I thought you wouldn’t love me like I do you, but I have seen you love me more than your own life, and I want to show you that same affection back.”

Annie had tears in her eyes as she heard those words, but pulled it together and said her vows.

“John, I always dreamed of meeting a one in a million guy, and the day I meant you I found that. I loved you from the moment we meant and I promise to do anything for you. You are my soul mate, you are everything I could ever ask for in my life, and if you weren’t in my life, there would be no point to living. You are my one in a million.”

Everyone had tears in their eyes, even the pastor and the guys; it was one of the most memorable times in their lives, but it was just the beginning of their lives.

Then, they put on each other’s rings.

“Now with that said, I pronounce you man and wife. You may kiss the bride,” the pastor said holding back the tears.

John grabbed Annie in his arms and bent her backwards, and kissed her. He did it so slowly and passionately, that it felt like they were the only ones on the earth; like time was standing still.

When they were finished, he grabbed her hand and they ran down the path (aisle). Annie stopped where her mother was, and gave her a huge hug.

“I love you mother,” she said with tears in her eyes.

“I love you to sweetie, and remember to write me.”

“I will,” Annie said running away with John.

Leonora, Catherine, Jack, and Thomas picked up everyone stuff, and chased after them.