Status: Edit: 2017 guysss I'm back. (Formerly called 'Colour of Hate')

The Disease Called Men

Lesson 19

If you’re going to bring a someone home, don’t! Unless you are sure it is safe to meet the family (and no one is home, except your pet).

Cerise’s list of what to do in an upcoming emergency
1. Always be prepared! Preparation is key!
2. Who are you kidding? No preparations were made! Take 5 deeps breathes in and exhale slowly.
3. Scream.
4. Uncontrollable sobbing begins now. Foetal position optional.

Image

Bringing home a boy has definitively never been a priority of mine. In fact, I had always dreaded the day I had to bring a friend over. This was no different. No, this was worse. Much worse. Not only was I bringing a boy home, but also my whole family would be there – my bald father, my eccentric mother and my four over-protective brothers.

Welcome to purgatory.

“I’m quite excited to meet your little friend,” the old man was saying as he flicked through one of his daily newspapers.

It was a Thursday afternoon and we were all sitting in the kitchen and dining area. It was Saffron’s turn to cook tonight, but Saffron, being the annoying, incompetent brother that he was, demanded help from Azure and Viridian. Dinner was going to be served late tonight.

I never hated myself so much for picking up the phone as I did now.

“Can’t believe Rise is actually bringing a friend over,” Claret chuckled as he leaned against the wall.

“Well, there are firsts for everything.” Viridian nodded as he began clearing the table.

I made a face and looked at my brothers. “You guys are acting as if this is my first friend.”

Pausing from washing the vegetables, Saffron looked up, his face shocked. “It isn’t?”

Ignoring Saffron, I nervously glanced at the microwave. ‘I’ll be there in twenty’ I could hear Nikko’s annoying voice in my head. Great. He said that fifteen minutes ago! That meant I had five minutes left. Five minutes of peace.

“A bit nervous, Rise?”

I looked up at Claret. Claret was polishing one of his trophies. He was obsessed with cleaning and putting things into order. For some odd reason Claret believed that there was a need to polish his trophies every second day and equipment every other day.

I shook my head and turned to Saffron. “What are you cooking tonight?”

“Something good. Hey Rise, is your friend vegetarian or lactose intolerant or anything?”

I shrugged. “Who knows.”

Pausing from cutting up the vegetables, Saffron looked up and frowned at me. “You should. This is your friend. It’d be pretty bad if I cooked something and heaven forbid they get the shits here.”

“When you say the shits, do you mean the shits with Cerise or the shits with our toil – ”

“CLARET!” I hissed at him before he could finish his sentence. I hadn’t really thought about it much. In fact, I didn’t know much about Nikko, not that I wanted to know in the beginning. “Ah yeah, they should be okay…” I waved my hand dismissively. Honestly, does it really matter? I personally thought it would be amusing if Nikko got the shits here. Serves him right.

“It does matter,” Azure said disapprovingly, as if he read my mind. He turned to Saffron. “Let’s make a vegetarian dish, just in case.”

“But I was looking forward to salmon!” I whined.

Claret frowned at me. “You need to be more considerate of others,” Claret added disapprovingly, “Also, you should eat more vegetables.”

“Aw man! But it should be okay! Besides, mum is eating at home too, shouldn’t that be fine?”

“Yes, but mum is vegan, remember?” Dad looked up from his papers, “There’s a significant difference between the two.”

“Anyway, why are you inviting your friend over?” Viridian asked, “Sleep over?”

A sleep over with Nikko? The mere thought made me shudder. “No. We just have work we need to finish together.”

“Pass me more tomatoes,” Saffron instructed, “they’re in the bottom draw in the fridge.”

I glanced at the microwave. Crap. He should be here soon.

“How’s the cooking going?” Dad asked conversationally as he folded his newspaper and placed it on the table.

“Smells good.” Claret shrugged as he returned one of his trophies and began polishing one of his prized rifles.

“If you’re finished with them, don’t leave the newspaper on the table,” Viridian scolded dad as he took the newspaper, “we’re going to have dinner soon! I’m going to set up the table now.”

“Dinner is nearly ready,” Saffron said, “Maybe, in ten more minutes or - ”

Saffron never finished his sentence, the doorbell rung.

Oh, crap.

Claret looked up. I panicked inside. “I’ll get it!”

Image

There he was, Nikko standing at my front door. Great.

“Hey,” Nikko nodded.

For the first time in my life I really looked at this guy. Head to toe, toe to head. He was wearing casual clothes – that was different. I was so used to seeing him wearing uniform, it was almost a shock seeing him out of it. I also noticed he didn’t wear his pants halfway down his legs like many boys from BBC. Thank God. He also wore a shirt that actually fitted him – not too baggy, not too tight. At least he didn’t look like a person I’d be ashamed to introduce to someone. Although, his dark hair was messier than usual and his eyes –

“Are you checking me out?” Nikko asked suddenly. He frowned at me.

Instinctively, I slammed the door.

“Cerise!” I heard my old man call out, “Bring your friend over and introduce her!”

Mentally groaning and instantly hating myself, I slowly opened the door.

Nikko hesitated, “Can I come in?”

Heaving a long, deep sigh I beckoned him to come in. “But first, let me tell you now – my family is… well, they can be a bit unsettled. No sudden movements. No eye contact. And if you can, don’t talk. Got it?”

Nikko stared at me. “I’m only here for student council work. It’s not like I’m here to ask for your hand in marriage, darling.”

He doesn’t get it. I slowly shook my head at him and patted him on the shoulder. “You’ll know what I mean later.”

Oh crap. And so it begins.
♠ ♠ ♠
HELLO AGAIN. LOOK AT THAT, I'M BACK SO SOON.
My goal (key word: goal) is to update once a week. :D
I've had these few chapters for a while mainly because I'm so picky, sorry and these upcoming chapters are my fave mainly because of the family.
Comment/crit are always welcomed.

Thanks for reading!