Touched by Angels, Though I Fall out of Grace

New Neighbours

Gerard’s POV

As I drove up to my house after school I noticed a moving van pull in to the house next to mine

“We have new neighbours,” Mikey observed

“Yes we do Mr Observant” I replied sarcastically to his comment, it’s not like I couldn’t see. Another car pulled in behind it, I couldn’t see who was in the car because the windows were so dark. I pulled into my driveway and got out of the car, Mikey did as well. The occupants of the car weren’t getting out and I didn’t want to seem stalker-ish to our new neighbour so I continued into the house.
Neither of my parents were home of course, they never were. My father was always away on ‘business’ trips and my mother liked to work late, I didn’t care it just meant they weren’t around to be annoying. Though it would be good if they were there sometimes Mikey needed parents and I’m the best person for him to be learning from.

Mikey was in one of his hyper moods today, I think Frank - his friend gave him a little too much sugar today. I was amazed that Frank wasn’t here actually normally he’s always around causing trouble with Mikey.

“Hey Mikes why didn’t Frank come round?” I asked him as he bounded into the kitchen while I made coffee

“He said his parents wanted him home after school” he replied vaguely but that was enough for me. I made my coffee and went up to my room, my room faced the next-door neighbours house even though I always kept my curtains drawn. I don’t know why these neighbours interested me so much; it was probably because we hadn’t ever had new neighbours. Mikey and I had grown up in this same house and our neighbours hadn’t moved until about a month ago. The boy next door had been shot down at the local park and I don’t think his parents could stand living here anymore so they moved elsewhere.

I opened my curtains and sat on my bed with my sketchbook looking like I was sketching something outside, though my pencil never did touch my page. I only saw glimpses of our new neighbours, but the glimpses I did see were absolutely beautiful. From what I could tell there where five of them. The mother and father who looked too young to have children and there was one boy and two girls. I couldn’t guess the ages from up in my room but if I had too I would have guessed that the shortest girl who’ve been the oldest and then the other girl and the boy the youngest but it was hard to tell. It started to rain while they were unpacking I thought about going and asking if they needed help but I was amazed to see that they had finished. It only took them a little over an hour to unpack everything; they must have done a few loads earlier while we were at school.

“Hey Gerard what are you doing?” Mikey opened my door and asked without knocking

“Wow your curtains are open, are you okay?” he asked sarcastically, I would be surprised if I came to find my curtains open to, I never opened them

“So who are our new neighbours?” he asked not giving me time to speak, he walked over to my window looked out

“A family of models” I said rolling my eyes. They did look like it, they were all of average height or taller and they all looked extremely beautiful

“Maybe we should go over and introduce ourselves,” Mikey suggested I thought about it and then against it

“You can but I’m staying here,” I replied and started shutting the curtains

“Fine then I will” Mikey replied as he stalked out of my room and downstairs. I left him and then realised that he’d probably make a fool of himself

“Wait Mikey!” I yelled as I ran down the hall to the stairs

“What?” he yelled back up from the front door

“Don’t you think you should take something over?” I asked trying to stall him

“Like what?” he walked to the foot of the stairs as I descended

“Cookies?” I proposed he looked happy with that idea,

“Sounds good, do we have any?” he asked me walking off to the kitchen

“I don’t know, you’re the one who eats them all the time” I replied following him.

“Nope we don’t what do we do now?” Mikey asked popping his head out of the cupboard

“Make some” I suggested and then threw myself down on the couch in front of the TV

“Make cookies? Oh fun” he said excited, this put a whole new worry into my mind. While Mikey made the cookies I sat in front of the TV and waited for the smell of smoke but it didn’t come. I hadn’t know Mikey to make cookies in the whole on his 16 years and my 18, I didn’t even know if we had a cook book but then again I don’t go into the kitchen a hell of a lot unless it’s for coffee, that’s probably why I’m wasting away it’s better than being called fat all over again.

“Cookies are finished” Mikey announced proudly, the only test would be if they tasted good

“Come try one Gerard” he called to me; I pushed myself off the couch and walked over to the kitchen bench. The cookies did taste good, I’m glad he found the recipe book.

“Let’s go over while they’re still hot” Mikey said as he put them in a box, which use to have cupcakes in it and grabbed his jacket

“Mikey can’t we eat them all ourselves?” I asked hoping we wouldn’t have to go over there

“No Gerard I made them for them” he replied and gave me my jacket as he grabbed the box.