Touched by Angels, Though I Fall out of Grace

I Like You

Gabriel’s POV

The feelings coming from upstairs were weird they were so strong. One was feeling pain and lots of it but it wasn’t physical pain it was emotional pain and it hurt a lot worse than any physical pain ever could. The other felt as though he/she was missing something they were also curious about something. That’s when I noticed Aiden was missing and that Gerard like normal was upstairs, I listened for their voices and could hear Aiden asking why he abuses himself so much.

“What do you think Gabriel?” Mikey asked me pulling me away from the voices upstairs, normally I could focus on everything at once but the emotions coming from upstairs were just to strong and one of the was Aiden’s which was highly unusual.

“Sorry Mikey what was that?” I asked him he looked slightly taken back, he was cute when he did that. Yes I admit that for the first time in 176 years I have feelings for someone who I don’t think of as my family, the great thing is that I know he feels the same way sometimes it’s embarrassing but most of the time it’s adorable. Before this I didn’t think that I could feel this way about another person let alone another male, in my time it wasn’t even thought of and if by some major circumstance it was the male would’ve been burnt at the stake, as they probably would’ve thought it was some kind of witchcraft. These times are much more accepting some people even wear signs that say they do witchcraft which I think is pretty cool.

After I answered him he and Frank continued with their conversation while I listened in on the conversation upstairs. There was silence for a while and then Aiden spoke up

“So why are you doing it?” she asked, she was so full of curiosity and understanding it was overwhelming

“I don’t know Aiden okay? I just don’t know” Gerard replied he was angry and frustrated

“Why not?” Aiden asked again, she was never really that good with noticing people’s emotions, not when she wanted something.

“Because it’s complicated,” he replied wanting to escape

“It can’t be that complicated if you think you know the solution,” she said I could tell straight away he didn’t like this, it felt like he wanted to explode but there was something stopping him, something strong.

“I just can’t understand why someone like you would want to waste something this precious” she said pained and she was. Aiden hated being a vampire to tell the truth, for decades she has had to sit by and watch as humans lived their lives because they didn’t know what day would be there last. She’s never actually told me this but I can tell, there’s a longing in her eyes when she watches them especially when we graduate high school each time, with all our classmates going off to college to fulfil their dreams. We’ve been to college a few times but we never really liked it that much there was too much drama and too much humanity needed, Aiden always hated it so we haven’t gone back. She wants her life to have meaning, to have an ending but for us there is no ending unless we want to go and get ripped apart, which is too painful for us to think about. She hates seeing Gerard waste away his life when there is so much to do and so much to experience.

“Sometimes Aiden I swear you know absolutely nothing about anything” he replied, sometimes I find myself thinking the same thing, she has a hard time understanding human emotions even though she’s been alive for so long.

Gerard came storming downstairs and then got into his car and drove away, everyone knew what he was going to do but no one said a thing, Aiden stayed upstairs for a while. The phone rang for Frank; he had to go home there was an emergency.

“I can ask my mother to drop you home if you want” I told Frank as he started to stress about how to get home

“Your mum’s home?” he asked me in reply, I think they think Elizabeth works since they never see her

“Yes” I replied Frank smiled at me in thanks

“Should I go ask her then?” I asked them

“Yeah, thanks a lot Gabriel” Frank said relieved

“It’s fine, you guys coming?” I asked them as I walked towards the door and they didn’t move

“Oh yeah cool” Mikey said looking surprised he hadn’t ever stepped inside my house the only time he had come close was when he first welcomed my family to the neighbourhood and I had answered the door.
When we got inside my house I could feel the awe from both of them, our house was much brighter and cleaner than there’s but that’s only because we hardly use anything really, and seeing as we never have to sleep or eat and we move at lightning speed cleaning the house only takes a few minutes.

“Mother” I called loudly, I didn’t need to but since there were humans we had to but quietly I did whisper

“We have guests” I was sure she could hear it, I didn’t want her appearing in front of us and then Mikey and Frank finding out what we are. We’ve managed to keep our secret to ourselves for the whole of our existence, then again every other place we’ve lived or school we’ve been we’ve never really had friends.

“Hello Gabriel I though you and Aiden were over at the neighbours this afternoon” Elizabeth said as she rounded the corner her beautiful straight brown hair draping over her shoulders, her blue eyes scanned Mikey and Frank behind me. She like the rest of us was exceptionally beautiful; she had the pale flawless radiating skin and the slim fragile looking figure. She was unlike all the other vampires I have ever come across, she was always so nurturing and caring she adored and loved us ‘children’ like her own because as vampires we cannot breed.

“We were but Frank here has an emergency at home and Gerard has already left so I was wondering if you wouldn’t mind giving him a lift?” I asked probably too formally but none of us have had practise talking to our ‘parents’ when there are humans in the house.

“No that’s fine sweetie I wouldn’t mind in the slightest” she replied happily, I knew she wanted to meet Mikey and Frank a lot since the only people she gets to talk to are Tristian, Gwendolyn, Aiden and I.

“Thank you Mrs…” Frank trailed off and then looked at me puzzled and then Mikey did the same

“It’s Mrs Winter dear but you can call me Elizabeth” Elizabeth replied with a giggle in her voice, she and Gwendolyn were very similar in that way. Gwendolyn was always so happy and carefree whereas Aiden was always so reserved and cautious.

Elizabeth dropped Frank off home he said we didn’t have to go with him and anyway we had homework to do so both Mikey and agreed that it would be best if we stayed. We went back over to Mikey’s house since all our stuff was there, I would’ve made an excuse to go back there anyway it wasn’t safe for us to stay there, Gwendolyn may come back from where ever she was not knowing that we were there, that would cause a few questions. Anyway Frank will be asking a few questions about the car Elizabeth was dropping him off in now, we have a few luxury cars as you may put it. One was my black Porsche 933 and the other was Aiden’s yellow Lamborghini Diablo 6.0 SE she likes going for the extravagant cars and got me mine for Christmas. Gwendolyn has a white 1950 Pontiac convertible at one of our other homes as well as her black Mitsubishi Eclipse that she just had to buy when we decided to move here. Elizabeth and Tristian weren’t ones for buying expensive cars, Elizabeth didn’t like driving that much anyway but Tristian did have his two-year-old Honda Civic del Sol to go to work in. Since we didn’t have to pay for much and Tristian worked all the time we accumulate a lot of money and then have nothing to do with it and all of us love driving so we buy a new car every few decades or so, this just happened to be the decade Aiden choose to buy hers and mine.

“Hey Gabriel” Mikey said as we were writing notes for history, I looked towards him he was feeling anxious

“Yes Mikey” I replied wondering why he was feeling so anxious

“Um… I kind of need to talk to you about something” he responded, I knew what he wanted to talk about and then I began to feel nervous too

“What is it?” I asked calmly

“Um… I well, I don’t know how to put this,” he mumbled falling over his words, he was so cute

“Try” I said as I put my hand on his, he looked down at our hands together and then blushed. The warmth of his hand was comforting, my skin was always so cold and hard and his were always so warm and full of life.

“I like you Gabriel, I like you a lot,” he said very quickly, if I was a normal human then I probably wouldn’t have been able to hear it as clearly as I did but I’m not. I grinned but didn’t say anything; I twined our fingers together on the table and waited for him to look at me again. He was still feeling nervous but there was a little regret seeping in

“Mikey” I said trying to get his attention before he thought I had rejected him. He looked up at me

“I really like you too” I replied caressing the side of his face with my free hand. The biggest smile stretched across his face that I’ve ever seen and he was feeling so happy and joyful that I don’t think anything could’ve ruined this moment.