Touched by Angels, Though I Fall out of Grace

We’re All Still Human

Gabriel’s POV

I sat listening to Mikey’s breathing it was so peaceful and relaxing I nearly felt as if I could go to sleep. Of course Mikey didn’t know I was here but my nights get boring sometimes and he’s only in the next house away anyway. I wasn’t paying attention to anything else until I heard many doors open and close at lightning speed, I never noticed Aiden was still in Gerard’s room, how couldn’t I have noticed that? Mikey stirred a little in his sleep and then turned over I focused back on him, Aiden would be okay she always was she just needed a little time on her own. Five minutes went by and I heard the roar of a powerful engine and then I heard as it drove away at top speed. Aiden must be really upset if she felt the need to get away so fast, I should’ve been with her I should be going after her right now but I didn’t want to leave Mikey. I sat there fighting with myself over what I should do; it was 6 in the morning before I came to my conclusion. I had to go after Aiden, Mikey would be here when I came back but Aiden needed me now. Normally it wouldn’t have taken me this long to decided but Mikey did something to me. I went back home and Elizabeth told me where Aiden was going, I got in my car and speed off after her.

When I finally got there her car was parked in front of the garage and she was nowhere in sight or sound. Her trail led off into the surrounding wild land she had already gone hunting and probably wouldn’t be back for the rest of the day. I went out for a couple of hours and got something to drink, sounds so much better when you say it that way then I came back to the house and waited. When there’s an empty house and you’re in the middle of nowhere it kind of gets boring. Aiden didn’t get back until the next day and when she did her clothing was a little torn and there was blood all over them.

“What happened to you?” I asked as she came into the room and sat on the clean couch

“I was hunting” she looked at me foully, she was agitated and frustrated

“Yes I gathered that but normally when you come back I don’t know the difference between you hunting or going out shopping” I replied pointing to her clothing

“Well then shopping got a bit messy today” she said and then disappeared upstairs to her room. When I got up there she was showering she came out in the next minute clean and dressed.

“Better?” she asked me as she smiled and twirled. She was putting it all on this time a little too much

“What happened?” I asked, she wasn’t going to get off this lightly

“Nothing I can’t deal with” she answered as she took her ripped and blood-covered clothing downstairs, I followed after her.

“If it was nothing then why are you here?” I asked her, she threw the clothes into the incinerator a little too vigorously

“Fine then it wasn’t nothing but as I said I can deal with it” she tired to stare me down; I’ve had decades of experience with her bad moods so I know her limits.

“Oh and your way of dealing with it is to run away?” I asked her, she was getting steadily angrier.

“What else do you think I should do? Talk it over? You know as well as I do I’m not good at talking with people” she replied making a good point, she could talk about anything that wasn’t to do with her.

“You should have come to me before running away Aiden” I said getting closer to her, her and I are like brother and sister, we’re closer than anyone could ever be so close that we can never be to far apart.

“Yes come to you Gabriel. Gabriel your mind is too fill with thoughts about Mikey” she lit the fire in the incinerator and watched as it burnt in little than a second.

“Don’t bring Mikey into this” I warned, Mikey had nothing to do with any of this

“Why not Gabriel? You’re in love with him, he’s going to come into a lot of our conversations” she was now right in front of me

“But he doesn’t have to come into this one, this is about you Aiden” I put my hands on her shoulders

“No it isn’t, it’s about our new life, our life that has now become so complicated after 180 years of being simple” she stood there still as stone looking at me squarely in the eyes

“It’s only complicated to you Aiden, for me this is the best life that we’ve started for once I have something more that I care about” I replied

“Maybe that isn’t the best thing” she replied looking down for once, she was feeling guilt and sorrow

“What do you mean Aiden?” I asked her a little hesitant

“Think about it Gabriel, you’re in love with Mikey now and I know that won’t change but human’s emotions change all the time. What happens if in time he doesn’t love you like he does now?” she said in a childlike tone, she hardly ever used this tone and when she did she used it when she spoke about her human life.

“I will still love him and I’ll still be there until he doesn’t want me anymore” I replied truthfully, I’ve had a lot of time to think about all of this and I came to the conclusion that if he stops loving me the way I love him then I’ll leave when he asks me and I’ll try and carry on.

“Gabriel, say he stays loving you how will you deal with all the human things?” she asked I really didn’t like how she put us and them into completely different categories. We are still human just very different, we didn’t change into another species entirely but she always makes out that we are robots or something.

“What do you mean by ‘human things’?” I asked her interested

“What happens when he wants to become intimate or what happens when he hurts himself or what happens when he finally dies?” she asked, Mikey had only told me yesterday that he liked me, he didn’t say he loved me though I knew he did. Other people would think this too soon for us to be talking about such things but for us it wasn’t, time for us goes past fast.

“I don’t know Aiden I hadn’t really thought about that too much” I responded I hadn’t thought about that that much actually I didn’t want to think about that

“Gabriel I don’t want to see you get hurt” she said as she fell into the couch and pulled her knees up to her chin. Tears streamed down her face, the only other time she cried was when she thought about her little brother

“Aiden I won’t get hurt” I sat next to her and put my arm around her shoulders

“Yes you will Gabriel, Mikey will die one day so will the rest of them. Why do you think I didn’t want to make friends with them” she looked at me there were no more tears in her eyes or on her face it was like she hadn’t been crying at all.

“Aiden as long as I get to spend a part of my life with him I will be able to handle anything” I pushed her hair behind her ear, it was hardly ever that I got to see her like this it was kind of comforting.

“That’s what you say now. Are you ever going to tell him about us?” she asked me, she was always paranoid about someone finding out who we really are.

“I don’t know but if I was ever going to you know I would talk to you before right?” I questioned her, we hadn’t ever told anyone what we are and I never imagined wanting to tell anyone, but one day I think I will want to tell Mikey.

We sat there for a while talking these things over, then as the sun started to fall in the sky I had the need to go back. Aiden said she was going to stay a little while longer and then probably come back tomorrow. I left her in the house and travelled the hours back home. It was 11 at night by the time I got home.