Touched by Angels, Though I Fall out of Grace

View from the other side

Aiden’s POV

Humans are strange beings it’s hard to believe that once upon a time I was one, though that was about 180 years ago now. I’ve been alive, well in a sense for about 195 years. I’m the oldest living person in my family, well they’re not really my family but they may as well be. Two of them are still walking this earth because of me and Tristian and Elizabeth have practically adopted us ‘kids’ as their own.
I have never in my 195 years had anyone stand up for me like Gerard did, it’s not like I needed it but he doesn’t know that. For some reason he reminded me of Mikhail, Mikhail was the one who took me in when I was first changed. He taught me all that I know and we stayed together for the first 40 years of my vampire life. I owe him so much if it wasn’t for him I wouldn’t have Gabriel and I probably would’ve been killed in my first few years of being a vampire. When he left us I wasn’t sad but then again I had lost most of my humanity. Now that I’ve gained a lot of it back I do miss him sometimes and regret that I never thanked him.

Gerard is probably the strangest human I’ve ever met along with his brother and his friend, most of the others follow the same routine and are very stereotypical. When I saw that he was being bullied as well I though it was only fair that I repay the favour. I could’ve fought the ‘jocks’, as everyone calls them off very easily but that would’ve cause too many questions and that kind of attitude was more like Gwendolyn. The ‘leader’ of the ‘jocks’ wasn’t giving up he has to be the most unintelligible person I have ever met. All his other friends heard the warning in my voice and ran away but not him. He stood his ground continuing to hurt Gerard; I could tell Gerard was bleeding because I could smell it in the air. Mike still didn’t leave even when I was standing right next to him, so even though I hate using it I persuaded him by my own means, you may call it brainwashing, which is why I don’t like using it because it is. Gerard didn’t notice a thing, I’ve learnt over time that I can do it either verbally or through eye contact, which causes less problems.

Gabriel was by my side soon after it was over along with Gerard’s brother Mikey. Gabriel had taken a liking to Mikey, I don’t think it’s the smartest idea but it makes him happy. Gerard’s head was bleeding much more than I thought and I felt Gabriel go rigid next to me. Our whole family was what we like to call ‘vegetarian’ in other words we only drink the blood of animals and not humans. Our self control is great but still when the blood is out in the open it take’s a lot more self control for us to back down. Gabriel and I got away as fast as we could, our self control was good though not as good as Tristian’s or Gwendolyn’s both of whom have never touched a drop of human blood. Elizabeth was pretty good as well, I on the other hand was the one who had lived off humans for the first 50 years of my life and I hated it! It was Gabriel who had come up with the idea to live off animals that was before we met Tristian or Elizabeth.

We had to wait a while for Gwendolyn to show up, neither Gabriel nor I could drive. We both know how but seeing as were both ‘underage’ we weren’t allowed to drive unlike Gwendolyn. She loved the fact that she was ‘older’; although I was about 60 years older than her it annoyed me so much! Gabriel was fine he was like the middle child, in both senses actually, so he was fine with it. When Gwendolyn finally got to the car she could sense something was wrong but neither Gabriel nor I would say anything. She also loved holding that over us, she had never touched a drop of human blood, and this was because Tristian and Elizabeth kept her away from that. From this day she still doesn’t know I was the one who changed her, that I was the one who saved her and that is one of the reasons I cannot be around her and also her attitude. Each time I look at her all I can think of is the pain I put her through, the pain I also put Gabriel through.

I was not the one who changed Gabriel but it was only because I didn’t know how, instead I pleaded with Mikhail to change him after I found him lying dying in the town I had grown up in. Though this was 40 years after I was turned, Gabriel reminded me so much of my younger brother when I was still human and I couldn’t have left him there dying. This is the reason why I was able to control myself long enough to carry him back to Mikhail. The bond between Gabriel and I is stronger than anything in this whole world, even stronger than us. We cannot leave each other, once 100 years ago I did try but the pain was excruciating, neither of us knew why but we know we shouldn’t ever try again and we don’t want to. I love Gabriel more than anything else in this world too; he and I have been together for nearly 150 years, he even came with me when Gwendolyn was first turned even though we didn’t really have a choice but the difference was he wanted to come with me and he helped me with my guilt. You see when I first turned Gwendolyn I couldn’t stand being around her, I didn’t really want to turn her I though she could’ve been saved by a human doctor but Elizabeth pleaded as I did with Mikhail and in the end I did it but I didn’t stay around to watch her. I wanted to get away so Gabriel said he would come with me he was also having problems of him own, so for 15 years Gabriel and I travelled around America. When we got back it wasn’t too bad but Gwendolyn had the worst attitude ever, it was amusing at first when she though that Gabriel and I were younger than her. It came as a big surprise to her when she found that I was older than them all and that Gabriel was 20 years older than her too, she sulked for about a year about that which wasn’t that long, not for us.

For the first time since we moved here we arrived home after Gerard. Thanks to our heightened senses we could pay to speed through the streets home. As soon as we got through the door Gwendolyn was going on about how she got on the school’s soccer team, like it were some big feet. Every time we start a new school, which is about every 15 years or so she gets on the school’s soccer team and then rants and raves about it, it gets more annoying every decade. Gabriel and I stick to the arts more, Gabriel has an amazing voice but he never wants to be on the school choir I would say he was shy but that doesn’t make sense, we’re practically perfect well perfect looking and we all know that Gwendolyn especially. There is nothing to be shy about it’s not like anyone would make fun of him and if they did well they would have to deal with me. I put it down to modestly, he hates to be modest except when he’s hunting he’s always trying to beat me though that will never happen, I’m stronger, faster and more skilled than he is. Whereas I like music and art so far I’ve learnt to play 4 different instruments, which isn’t that many compared to my age. I can play the piano, flute, violin and guitar - bass, electric and acoustic well really that’s 6 if you could the three different types of guitars.

“Is everything alright?” Elizabeth asked me as I sat down at my grand piano

“It’s fine” I replied not showing any emotion, in this house our emotions weren’t shown often, only Gabriel knows what we’re really feeling

“Are you sure, your eyes are darker than usual do you need to go hunting again?” She asked looking at my eyes, we had only gone hunting last week so they shouldn’t be that dark but after my encounter with Gerard they would be a little darker with lust

“Yes I’m fine, they was just an accident at school” I replied calmly and started to play one of my composures

“An accident? No one was seriously hurt were they?” She asked, she was so nurturing it was weird for a vampire to be like that, just not normal

“No they weren’t it was actually our neighbour, but he’s fine” I responded with a tone of finality in it

“Oh losing control again are we Aiden?” Gwendolyn chimed from the hallway; she was always getting on my nerves, I had never once lost control but the fact that I had lived off humans was always something she likes to bring up. I continued to play ignoring her comment

“You know Aiden you should be more controlled like me,” She taunted as she danced into the living room where I was

“Yes sure control and you Gwendolyn should be more cautious like Gabriel and I” I replied not looking up, no matter where we were or who we were with she would always show off the fact that she was absolutely beautiful and skilled at what ever she was doing. She purposely took gym in every school we went to just to show that she was the fittest girl in school, it wasn’t that she was fit it was the fact that we all can move extremely fast and never get tired, we can also lift two filly loaded trucks over our heads without breaking a sweat and just because we’re vampires.

“I’m just embracing what I was given, you should try it sometime it’s fun” She said sounding really proud this made me very angry.

“ What we were given?!” I growled at her baring my teeth a little (we don’t have fangs) and standing up away from the piano. I wasn’t one to shout or yell I just went straight for growling,

“We weren’t given anything, this wasn’t a choice for us. It’s not like it was a prize in some idiotic draw, we’re cursed Gwendolyn! Doomed to spend an eternity as we are and nothing can change that” I now stood right in front of her, it only took less than a second to get there

“Well if I had had the choice I would’ve asked Tristian to change me” She said smug, in an instant Gabriel was behind me with his hands on my shoulders. He knew he couldn’t restrain me but he knew that it would bring me back to earth in a sense; I knew he could feel my anger thanks to his gift

“Aiden!” he growled really low and so loud that it shook the whole room; I didn’t move I just stared straight ahead

“Yes if he knew how” I spat at her and then disappeared.