Sunshine

Rain

Honk, honk, honk.

“Hey there, sweet cheeks, need a lift?”

Evelyn turned to see some jerk from the baseball team grinning at her with a carload of his friends. She shook her head, resisting the urge to run up and dent his car in. He was about the 6th jock to ask her if she wanted to hop in with them. Of course none of them were serious, so she thought.

She’d be surprised how peoples’ opinions of her had changed since softball season began. The student population of Huntington Beach High were all giving her a second look, literally in the guys’ case.

“Suit yourself. Check ya later, sweet thing.”

He winked at her and sped off, his rear wheel drive fishtailing on the slick streets. It was raining cats and dogs, and as usual Evelyn was forced to walk home since her grandparents hardly drove anymore. She insisted it was fine, no matter the weather, and her grandparents were relieved to not have to deal with the stress.

Evelyn hoisted her large bag higher on her shoulders, bats, a helmet, and stray softballs clinking around inside. Her cleats created a loud clack on the pavement as she walked along. This is going to be a long walk.

A sudden gust of wind shot giant rain drops harshly at her upper body and she winced, putting her head down to avoid any more damage to her face. The wind whipped her wet hair around, causing it to smack her multiple times.

She heard another vehicle approaching just as she reached the end of the school parking lot. When she sensed it slowing down, she was about ready to turn around and scream at whoever it was. She could only assume it was another one of those baseball players and prepared herself for their mocking. She had no idea that they weren’t really mocking, but were serious in their advances on her. It was only a matter of time before she figured it out.

“Evelyn?”

She turned to the old, beat up Ford truck, surprised to see someone she actually recognized. She was half right about the baseball player, at least.

“Zack?”

He slowed his truck down to a near crawl so he was going the same speed as Evelyn as he turned to the right, driving beside her.

“Why are you walking when it’s raining like this?”

The rain had turned into a torrential downpour, pelting Evelyn everywhere. She was soaked and chilled to the bone, being only in a gray wifebeater and old black shorts that were a bit too small for her liking.

“I walk every day.”

Zack sighed and turned to yell out his window again, “Need a ride?”

Evelyn turned to him and shook her head, her hair flicking her in the eyes and getting stuck in her mouth.

“No, I’m fine.”

“You look like a drenched street rat,” Zack commented.

Evelyn cracked a smile as she continued walking, looking to him every so often to see if he was still driving at her pace.

“Really, I’m fine.”

“It’s no trouble. Besides, you’ll freeze to death if you’re out here any longer.”

Evelyn thought it was weird how Zack sounded kind of…worried about her health. They were only acquaintances, though possibly a bit more on Evelyn’s part. His friends’ merciless teasing about him being nice to Evelyn got to the point where he wouldn’t talk to her at all when they were around. They were nowhere in sight now, obviously, since it was after baseball/softball practice time, and it was past seven at night. He must’ve felt it safe to talk to her.

An involuntary shiver shook Evelyn and her teeth began chattering. She should’ve worn Jimmy’s sweatshirt that she had yet to return after a month and a half. She turned to Zack, who looked at her sympathetically. Her heart sank a bit.

He’s only offering because he pities me.

“I don’t want to ruin your seats or anything,” she offered as a lame excuse.

“Please, this piece of shit? I could care less.”

They reached the end of another block and Evelyn was now nearly shaking as the rain continued to dump on her. She stopped at the edge of the sidewalk to look for oncoming traffic as did Zack at the stop sign. He put the car in park and turned to Evelyn, one arm over the steering wheel.

“Get in the car, Evelyn.”

His command startled her. She wasn’t expecting him to use a voice quite like that just to get her attention. For whatever reason, he was going to give her a ride whether she wanted it or not. She sighed, pulling on the old truck door and hopping inside. She tossed her oversized load behind the seats, her softball bag joining Zack’s baseball one in the messy pile.

“You live by Brian, right? I’ve been with Matt when he’s taken Jimmy there before.”

Evelyn nodded, trying to get comfortable in her soaked and mushy clothes. It was a difficult task. After getting situated and after Zack drove off again, he made an attempt at conversation.

“So you’re fucking good at softball, from what I hear.”

Evelyn looked out the window, her cheeks holding a tinge of pink. She watched and listened to the rain attack the windshield, admiring how soothing it really was and trying to take her mind off how cold she was, despite the fact that it was May and she had just finished a rigorous three hour long practice. Zack looked like he had been sweating up a storm.

“I wouldn’t say that.”

“Everyone else does,” Zack said, turning to look at her.

She shrugged, “I dunno why they do; they think I’m a freak any other time.”

Zack tapped his fingers on the steering wheel while he paused at another stop sign. Evelyn noted that over the past month or so, he had lost his black nails and eye makeup. She thought he looked nicer this way.

“People change, I guess.”

Evelyn nodded, another violent shake travelling through her. Zack cast her a worried glance.

“Sure you’re okay?”

She waved him off, “I’m fine, just a little wet, is all.”

Zack chucked, “A little?”

She reached over to playfully smack him on the arm, causing him to laugh. She smiled, enjoying his reaction. Jimmy was really the only other person to treat her this way, and Zack’s personality was a nice change. Evelyn liked variety in her friends.

It was a shame Zack didn’t talk to her any other time.

“I think I’ll have to see these skills of yours for myself sometime.”

“Softball?” Evelyn questioned.

Zack raised an eyebrow, “What other skills would I be talking about?”

Evelyn gave him a knowing look and he shook his head, smiling.

“You spend too much time with Jimmy, like Matt says.”

She shrugged; it was probably true, but Jimmy was her only actual ‘friend’ that she could trust and really talk to. The past few months of her life would be so different without him, and possibly his friends, as much as Evelyn didn’t want to admit it. She hoped to make more progress with all of them. Maybe they’ll like me more senior year.

“So which house is yours?”

Evelyn pointed to her home, a two-level with white painted siding and navy blue shutters. She expected Zack to drop her off in the street and make her walk like Brian did, and was surprised when he pulled into the driveway. Realization that Brian didn’t like her and Zack didn’t…not like her struck Evelyn and she understood. Zack was probably more polite than Brian, at least to her.

Still shivering, Evelyn grabbed her bag from behind the seats with Zack’s help. She opened the door, exposing her right side to the still downfalling condensation.

“Thanks for the ride,” she said appreciatively.

He waved her off, “Not a problem, Evie.”

Zack gave her a sheepishly smile and she tried not to laugh, “I mean, Evelyn.”

She shook her head, already taken with the thought of Zack having a nickname for her, even if it was the same one Jimmy used.

“No, call me Evie.”

Zack nodded, “You got it, Evie.”

“Good…uh,” Evelyn tried to think of a catchy comeback nickname, “Zacky.”

He chuckled, “Zacky?”

“I couldn’t think of anything else,” Evelyn admitted, “and it rhymes?”

Zacky gave her an amused look, “Works for me.”

Evelyn felt her face getting hot, despite the fact that she was freezing her ass off standing in the rain when she was already drenched. She looked like she just came out of the shower.

“Thanks again.”

“Like I said, not a problem.”

She gave him one last smile, which he returned, “Bye, Zacky.”

“See ya, Evie.”

Evelyn trudged to the porch, dragging her bag on the ground behind her. Maudie immediately rushed her inside and watched the loud truck peel off down the street. She grabbed a towel and dried Evelyn off slightly, giving her a curious look.

“Who was that?”

Maudie, with her keen motherly senses, already knew that it was a boy, and one that her granddaughter fancied.

Evelyn tried to hide her smile, but it was no use.

“My friend, Zacky.”
♠ ♠ ♠
if you wondered why I called him Zack up until this point, there is your answer haha.

Evelyn gave him that name...aww...

comments, my loves? :D

Title by Breaking Benjamin