‹ Prequel: Great Expectations

A Dustland Fairytale

But We Persevere, God Gives Us Hope

Image

"I wanna be your love, ain't no lie." - Bruce Springsteen

“This is the single stupidest thing I have ever done in my life,” I announced to no one in particular as I stood in front of the bathroom mirror. I leaned on the sink, combing my hair backwards in a way that hasn’t been popular since the 1950s. I was wearing what I usually wore: a white t-shirt, jeans, and my leather jacket. Normally, this wouldn’t look like a Halloween costume. Combined with my slicked-back hair, I looked like Ponyboy from The Outsiders.

I shook my head at my reflection and thought about whether I really even wanted to go to this party or not. It was most likely going to be full of all the people I couldn’t really stand from my school, plus a few of the ones I didn’t mind so much. Kyle would be there, and so would Zack and a few other guys I’d become friends with since moving to California.

But the real reason I wanted to go was because Juliet would be there.

I’d been ignoring her in school, and it was driving me crazy. I had the strength of will to give the silent treatment, but I didn’t enjoy it. I’d tried to follow Rosie’s advice – to “give it time,” as she’d told me, but every time I talked to Juliet I wanted to know if she had told her parents. I couldn’t control my curiosity, so I decided it would be better to ignore her than to drive her insane with questions. I had a feeling tonight would be different, but I really wasn’t sure why.

My phone buzzed loudly on the bathroom counter, dragging my attention from my reflection. I picked it up and read the message from Kyle: U excited 4 2nite? Should b crazy fun! Smiling to myself, I walked through the bathroom door and picked up my leather jacket from the closet and grabbed my bike’s keys from my desk. I walked down the stairs and through the kitchen, letting the back door slam behind me. My dad and step-mom had gone to some dinner party, and I doubted they cared whether I was home or not.

The nights here were cooler than I expected to be, and the wind that blew in my face as I drove woke me up from my thoughts. I was going to this party to be with my friends and to talk to Juliet. I hated Charity, but I was going anyways, because I had nothing better to do. Like most high school kids, it was Friday night, and that meant I was going to a party.

By the time I got to Charity’s, the music was already pumping loudly from her house. I found a place to park not too far from her house, and by the time I reached the front door I could feel the bass shaking in my chest. I heard people talking and laughing from somewhere within Charity’s massive house. I didn’t even bother ringing the doorbell; the front door was unlocked, and I entered into the insanity.

Inside, the music and conversations were even louder. Black and orange streamers hung from the ceiling and fake cobwebs glowed in bright, flashing lights. Everyone was wearing some sort of costume. There were vampires, superheroes, movie stars, and witches. I noticed Charity wearing a Dallas Cowboys cheerleader outfit, talking flirtatiously to someone dressed as a firefighter.

I pushed through the crowds, looking for anyone I knew well enough to want to talk to. After a few minutes, I noticed Kyle, wearing a flannel shirt and jeans. I walked over to him, wondering what his costume was supposed to be.

“Hey,” he said, noticing me walking towards him. He shouted over the music, a wide grin on his face. “Nice costume. Greaser?”

“Yeah,” I said, laughing. “What the hell are you?”

“I’m a lumberjack!” he replied. I realized he could be a lumberjack, with a little imagination. “I had a hat, but it was really hot in here, and I figured it wouldn’t be a good idea to bring an ax to a party, even if it would complete my costume.” Both of us laughed and I looked around the crowded house, trying to find the one person I’d come here to talk to. “I haven’t seen Juliet,” Kyle said, answering my unspoken question. “It’s hot as fuck in here, though. I’m going outside. Good luck finding her.” Kyle clapped my shoulder and walked through the back door, leaving me alone in the living room.

I fought my way through people, wondering if Zack was anywhere around. I was about to give up and follow Kyle outside when I noticed Juliet walking through the back door. She was dressed as a girl from the 1920s, wearing a red fringe dress with pearls around her neck. I glanced away, still not ready to hold a normal conversation with her. A few minutes later, Juliet was standing in front of me.

“Hey,” she said, a small smile twisting her red lips.

“Hi,” I replied, looking down at her. I would not let myself ask her if she’d told her parents about her. I planned on silently repeating this mantra to myself, but Juliet had other ideas. She grabbed the collar of my jacket and pulled my face down to hers, kissing me with surprising ferocity. I was completely shocked, but in the best way possible. Juliet Hanson was kissing me in the middle of Charity fucking Dupree’s living room – pretty much everyone at our school would see this.

I pulled away for a second, trying to stop an insane grin from spreading across my face. “Everyone’s gonna see us,” I said. “Your secret is out.”

The words she said next made the insane smile break out on my face: “I don’t care.” I pulled her close and kissed her again. I didn’t care who saw us; I wanted the whole world to see us, and to be jealous of how happy we were.