Status: They come as they may

Collection of One Shots

Remembering Sunday

The man’s eyes snapped open and his dreams slipped away. He put on his shoes and walked along the early morning sea. He focused on that morning, merely a week ago, while sipping from his bottle. He glanced at his watch and noticed it was nearing 2 a.m. As he remembered the way her hair had looked, how soft her skin felt, he fell to his knees. Literally in pain, remembering her. She’d come to say goodbye, that Sunday morning. They ate, and she teased. She was getting married, but she still loved him. He knew in his heart that she still loved him.

He broke into a run, leaving the empty glass bottle on the shore, and ran all the way to her old house. He didn’t need to look at the house to know that it was empty, and so he knocked on her neighbor’s door. There was no response, so he pounded on that door, and then he heard someone behind the wood, shuffling to answer. An elderly man, near his 60’s opened the door. The elderly man recognized the 20 year old, for he had visited his house the night before, and the night before that. He asked the same question every time.
“Have you seen this girl?” and he’d pull the worn and slightly faded picture out of his beaten leather wallet. The elderly man hadn’t seen the girl since a week before, and she’d been packing her trunk. The older man knew that this boy-this man was in love with the girl, and by the look in his eye, she had once loved him too.

The man’s mind was focused on his latest dream as he stumbled down the elderly man’s porch steps. She’d never left in this dream, and they were growing old together, with their grandchildren playing in the front yard. How he yearned for this; to be with her for the rest of eternity. In fact, he’d even bought her a ring, the day after she left, for he thought she’d realize her mistake and come back. Come home.

He remembered a day, many years ago, back when her parent’s had just split up. They had both been 14. That day, they sat on the swings at the park, down the road from his house, and she swore she didn’t believe in love, and that she never would. He’d left it at that. He’d only been 14, it didn’t seem important. But now, at twenty years old, he knew better. Love was the most magical thing to ever happen to someone, and it had hit him as hard as a baseball bat. He could tell by the flying feeling in the pits of his stomach.

The day she had left, was the hardest. He knew something was bothering her when she’d first set foot in his kitchen. Outside, the sky lit up from the storm, heading their way. She’d told him that she had met someone else. Someone from a faraway place, that she wouldn’t give a name. She said that he was the most magnificent man on planet Earth, and made her feel special. She told him that he would never see her again, and that she was sorry.

Three days after her departure she came back. She’d told him that she’d done something terrible to him, and he could tell that she was afraid of how he would react.
She told him that she still loved him, but she loved John more. She told him she was sorry again, and then she left. Gone with the wind.

He’d tried to rid himself of her, but the nights felt so lonely, that he’d turned to alcohol. He knew that she was gone, but wouldn’t accept it. She was flying to the man she loved, high above him, over him, in all senses. He thought all of this, and went home.
♠ ♠ ♠
title credit: All Time Low's Remembering Sunday. I wrote this spur of the moment, at like 2 in the morning, listening to Remembering Sunday on repeat. Sorry if it sucks. Comment/Rate/Subscribe. Love you guys,.