Pixie Dust

Three

Dean had cleaned his weapons, scowled at his new limbs several times, all but pulled his hair out and used up his mobile battery playing bejeweled. He was watching paper view when the loud knocking on his door pulled him out of his reverie and had him moving for the door, his gun pressed to the wood as he opened it a crack and peered through.

“You wanna lower the gun boy? I ain’t no pizza delivery kid.” Dean stepped back and opened the door as Bobby spoke. Bobby stepped into the room and made for the desk where he dropped a duffel bag full of books. “I brought what I thought might help, had to all but knock Sam out to get him to let me leave the house without him.”

“Thanks for coming Bobby.” Dean lowered his head, crossing his arms over his bare chest, thankful that his ‘wings’ had folded themselves down and close to his back as if they were scared of being ripped off. Still, he’d like to be able to get a t-shirt on without ripping it. Maybe, if he was lucky, he might have one of his brothers’ shirts in his bag by mistake.

“I think you’re an idiot for leaving, but at least you called me for help. Shows you’ve still got some sense in that thick skull of yours.” Bobby sighed before he lifted his hat enough to wipe his forehead before he pulled the cap back into place and turned. “Well, are you going to show me or are you just going to stand their like a stiff?”

“I feel like a girl.” Dean scowled in disgust before he turned to the side and looked away.

“They it?” Bobby asked with a questioning frown towards the thin spirals that hugged close to Dean’s body. “Not much for wings.”

Clenching his jaw Dean inhaled and exhaled sharply before relaxing. Bobby gasped as the wings shook and unfolded, writhing before spreading wide and shaking free. “Can you not stare please?”

“They glow.” Bobby muttered.

“What!” Dean asked in a horrified tone as he rushed past Bobby and straight for the mirror only to find, that sure enough, the veins throughout the wings were pulsing; giving his wings an eerie glow. “Oh god, I feel like a queen!”

“Look like a queen. What the hell happened Dean?”

“I don’t know.” Dean rubbed his hand over his face before he turned and shook his head at Bobby. “I honestly don’t know.”

“You said on the phone you were dreaming, could it possibly be that you weren’t dreaming at all?”

“What, you think I was actually hunting?” Dean quirked an eyebrow.

“You were doing something Dean. Last time I checked, waking up from a dream didn’t land you with wings. Tell me what happened.”

“Well, I was dreaming, or not dreaming. I don’t know.”

“Just tell me what went down in the possible dream.” Bobby sat and rolled his eyes. Dean sighed before grabbing two beers out of the fridge and going to sit opposite Bobby. He offered one, which Bobby gladly took, before he scratched his chin and started from the beginning.

“So, what do you think?” Dean asked as he sat hunched over, his elbows resting on his knees as his wings fluttered behind him. Considering he’d only had them for a few hours, he was completely used to them, didn’t even notice them. Bobby how ever felt the need to stare. “Come on man, quit staring.”

“Sorry.” Bobby eyeballed him before scratching the back of his neck. “Is that everything?”

“Yeah.” Dean answered convincingly. It wasn’t. He’d lied. But he wasn’t going to tell Bobby that he had to be as truthful as a flower and not hold grudges or they’d make him as ugly as the toad. That was just crazy, he didn’t want to risk sounding like a loose cannon.

“Sounds to me like you got your ass handed to you by a damn faerie.”

“Hey, she was creepy, and the Queen. She’s like, really old. And sneaky. I’m lucky to be alive man.” Dean stood and placed his empty bottle on the counter before absentmindedly starting to pet the bunch of flowers on the middle of the table while staring off out the window. Bobby sat in silence, thinking and watching Dean before he got up and went to his bag of books.

“I don’t know how much I’m going to find on her. She’s kind of a legend, a myth, and a shady one at that. Next, what breed of monster do I look under? Where do I start looking for her? Pixies, nixies, nymphs, faeries, sprites, gnomes-”

“Wait, gnomes? Like, little garden statues?” Dean raised an eyebrow and smirked.

“No, ya’ idjit. Some folklore tells that they’re actually real, most likely humanoid in looks though incredibly small, they live underground and avoid interaction with people.” Bobby frowned before he pulled out a large, old leather bound book and dropped it in front of Dean, who stared at it with wide eyes. “It won’t bite.”

“I don’t think I’m going to find it in a book Bobby.”

“You might not find the answer, but if you find her and can understand and identify what’s happening, then you might have the answers enough to stop this.” Bobby waved his hand at Dean who raised an eyebrow.

“What?”

“When did flowers go on your ‘things to eat’ list?” Bobby shook his head when Dean blinked before he looked down and realized he was in fact eating the flowers.

“Oh god, gross. I need a burger.” Dean dropped the half devoured bloom on to the table before grabbing a shirt and willing his wings to cooperate. As if hearing his plea, his wings spiraled, leaves curling in on themselves to fight back the frost, before laying flat to his back and resting still. Dean smirked at Bobby and shoved his arms through the sleeves of his shirt. “I think I’m getting the hang of this.”

“Which is never a good thing.” Bobby shook his head before going to the fridge.

“I’ll be back, can I get you anything?” Dean asked as he shrugged his jacket on and looked up at Bobby.

“A burger would be nice. No extras.”

“So tame Bobby.” Dean teased before he grabbed his wallet, his phone and the keys to the Impala. On his way past the table, Dean looked over his shoulder to spy Bobby, before he grabbed the half flower and headed for the door. Bobby had seen the whole thing through the corner of his eye and once Dean was gone, straightened and sighed.

“This is not good.”