Pixie Dust

Seven

By the time Sam drove into town, it was slowly growing dark again. The car he’d stolen had kicked the bucket more then once, given him a headache and almost several heart attacks. If he wasn’t so anxious to get to Dean, Sam would have stolen something with a bit more life in it. Thankful that the sun was a low ball in the distance, Sam slowed and scanned the small town around him. Every five meters a tree was planted along the side walk, the buildings were clean of any graffiti and lights blazed brightly. The small town was symmetrical in every way Sam could possibly think of; even the grass was perfectly manicured. Frowning, Sam picked up the piece of paper on the dash and studied the address Bobby had told him. He quickly scanned the road before pulling over and getting from his car, his eyes reading the street signs. He felt like an idiot.

“Excuse me young man, are you lost?” Sam turned and grimaced before looking down. Standing roughly a foot below his elbows was a little old lady, hair snow white and bundled on top of her head and fastened with a flower pendant.

“Uh, yeah actually I am. I guess I look out of place, huh?”

“Always tell when a stranger wonders into town, they get that goggled look about them, can’t find their way through the maze of Barbie houses.” The woman cackled as she crossed her hands over and leaned them against her walking cane.

“Barbie houses? I take it you don’t like them.” Sam smirked.

“Can’t stand them. Wish the forest they backed onto would rise up and destroy the lot of them. Cried the very day they cut my beloved trees down.” The woman shook her head and sighed before making her way slowly towards a park bench. Out of no where, a young kid on a skateboard came flying past and all but barreled the old woman over. Sam was quick on his feet, catching her as she fell backwards. As if pride gave her great strength, she gained her footing and threw her arm in the air, her cane shaking violently after the boy. “Bloody brat. Be as mulch you filthy ingrate!”

“Are you okay?” Sam asked as he eyed the woman, ready to catch her if she suddenly fainted.

“Hate the kids around here too. They think they own the ground they walk on. It’s my ground damn it, they took it for me, destroyed it and bamn, slapped these disgusting buildings up. Pow!” She jabbed her cane out, using it as if it were a sword. “So many of my babies gone.”

“Babies? Ma’am, are you alright?”

“Of course I’m alright. They’ll get theirs. Filthy mongrels, they’ll get all of theirs!” She kicked at a rock, sending it flying. And with a distant clank, the stone collided with the back of the young boys head and sent him toppling off his skateboard. The woman cheered; her small body moving rather quickly and elegantly for a retiree as she threw her arms up and did a jig. “Got the little bastard!”

“Uh, I think I’m going to go, thanks.” Sam cleared his throat and nodded before turning and heading for his car.

“Don’t you want to know about your brother Sam?”

“What?” Sam froze and spun around on his heels just in time to see the old lady morph into a beautiful young woman. She grinned childishly and giggled, her bright pink eyes drawing most of Sam’s attention.

“Dean, you want him don’t you? I know where to find him.”

“Who are you?” Sam reached for the gun he kept hidden in the hem of his pants but stopped when she waggled a finger at him.

“The Mother of all. Not what you were expecting huh, but come along Sam, you know who I am. You have been dreaming about me.” She winked before giggling again and skipping circles around Sam, petals of flowers miraculously appearing everywhere her feet touched.

“Why exactly was I dreaming about you?”

“Because I wanted you to.” She smiled; her eyes dazzling with amusement. “It was needed. The dreams were my way of clearing your head. Poisoning your body Sam, I’m insulted.”

“Sorry.” Sam had the decency to look sheepish and apologetic. “Where is Dean?”

“You love him, don’t you?”

“Of course,” Sam cleared his throat and looked away. “He’s my brother.”

“Naughty, naughty. Lying is a sin.” The Fae Queen smirked while wiggling her eye brows before she skipped a few feet away. “Sammy, poor darling. Your love gives life! You wish for Dean; then close your eyes and dream.”

“What?” As Sam went to speak, the Queen appeared in front of him and pressed a finger to his lips.

“Hush hush, just dream gorgeous human.”

“Well alright.” Sam mumbled against her finger before shrugging and closing his eyes. He breathed deep, settling his psyche before pulling all his thoughts of his brother into the front of his mind. He felt light, his body feeling weightless as he pictured the last time he’d been in the same room as Dean; five months ago.

”Dean, don’t go.” Sam grabbed his brother’s arm, his heart sinking as Dean instantly jolted away from him.

“Don’t go? Why? So you can push more of your touchy feely bull crap on me? No! Just, no Sam. It’s best if I go.”

“Dean please.”

“Don’t.” Dean warned him, his jaw set as he shrugged his jacket on. “You know; my whole life I’ve looked out for you and this is how you repay me?”

“Dean,”

“No. Not this time Sam.” Dean turned away from him, grabbed his keys, his bag and made for the door.

“Dean, I’m your brother!” Sam played the only card he had left, using it left him feeling naked, bare. He felt hollow. He didn’t feel the hit when Dean spun around and punched him. It sent him down, forced him to the ground with the force but he didn’t feel it. His lip bleed, he knew that because he pressed the back of his hand to it before he stared up at his brother. Eyes green and dead, face lax with loathing, Dean stared back. The moment lasted what seemed like a life time, Sam wasn’t the only one hurting, he knew it; felt it. This was it; he knew he’d pushed Dean past the point of no return, just like he knew he could never take it back. They could never go back and be like they were.

“Brothers hang out, drink beer, talk about chicks and cars. Brothers feel awkward when they hug, they play football or in our case, they hunt together. Brothers,” Dean dropped his eyes, the tear slipping down his cheek as he choked on the words; the words that would be the last he’d speak to his little brother before he left. He had to leave; it’d already gone too far. And deep down, he’d known it. “Brothers don’t, they don’t, Jesus Sammy, brothers don’t date each other! They don’t look at each other like partners, they don’t share a bed or showers; they don’t kiss each other good morning, goodnight or just for fun, they don’t kiss at all! And they sure as hell don’t screw. It’s wrong! Why can’t you see that?”

“Because I see past that, I see you.”

“Stop it Sam.” He waved him off, rubbed a hand over his mouth before he went to the door.

“Dean don’t go, I love you.”

“That’s why I have to.” Dean stopped with his hand on the open door, his back to his brother as he stared at the ground. He didn’t turn, didn’t look over his shoulder when he spoke. “Don’t call me Sam. Don’t try to find me. I’m dead to you. Take care of yourself. But forget I’m even your brother.”

“Dean!” Sam shouted, his throat tight with tears as he watched his brother, his love, walk out on him. How was he meant to get over that?


“Dean.” Sam whimpered when he felt himself hit the ground. He jolted awake, his eyes adjusting to the dark. He realized quickly that he was in a forest, the smell strong and the floor damp. He sat up, his eyes scanning around him, taking in the twinkling lights, the bright flowers and the tall, thick trees. He frowned as he continued to sit before a voice calling his name had him on his feet in seconds. “Dean?”

“Sammy, help me.” Sam spun around, facing towards a green tinted light. Hearing the calling again he ran towards it, tripping over moss and fallen undergrowth and scrapping his hands and forearms up. Sprinting past old trees, Sam barely felt a low branch cut his cheek open, his eyes frantic as he searched.

“Dean!” He breathed deep, his lungs burning as he stopped for air.

”Sam?” The voice was close, causing Sam to turn and head towards a curtain of vines. All but jumping through the vines, Sam searched but found no sign of his brother. Gasping in air, Sam frowned and felt the sting in his palms. Studying the damage, Sam winced before looking up when he heard a twig snap under someone’s footing. Hearing the noise behind him, Sam spun, thinking it was Dean; and had a bunch of sparkling powder thrown in his face. He stumbled back, tripping over a log and landing on his back as the dust made its way into his body as he coughed, his eyes blinking it in.

“You found me Sam.” The Fae Queen giggled joyfully, her hair untamed and free as she skipped around Sam as he struggled on the ground.

“What the hell did you thrown on me?” He sneezed, his eyes clenched shut as he wiped at his face.

“Just a little something.” She touched her nose and smiled. “Tastes nice huh?”

“No, it tastes like glitter.” Sam coughed and sat up, his head pounding from where he’d hit his head.

“Come now, it isn’t that bad.” The Queen frowned and pressed her clenched fists to her hips.

“What was it?” Sam demanded; his coughing growing worse.

“Pixie Dust.”

“I think it’s in my lungs.”

“Good, it’s meant to be.”

“What?” Sam goggled and gripped his throat.

“Oh alright, you big baby.” The Fae Queen sighed, her eyes rolling playfully as she clicked her fingers. The world shifted, seemed to spin off its axis. Before Sam could yell, he was hovering above a large mass of blackness. “I hope you can swim.”

“Wait!” But before Sam could even throw his arms out to change his mind, he was dumped into the lake. He found himself in deep, surrounded by nothing but black, his lungs screaming. He couldn’t see, couldn’t breath; couldn’t move. He felt numb. The last of the air in his lungs bubbled out of his mouth, his body going cold as he stayed suspended in darkness. His eyes fluttered shut as he slowly lost consciousness. The last thought Sam had was of his brother’s face, staring down at him in fear as he tried desperately to help him up. Funny, it almost felt real.