Complexities

Death

I’m not the type to really think things through. When I was running towards the squad it had never occurred to me what it must look like to them; a five foot three girl running low behind bushes, gun in hand, looking more like a civilian than the fed whose partner they helped (I refuse to think of myself as rescued). It was a good ten feet from where we were huddled at to the front door. I took a death breath and took off. Bullets whizzed by as I dodged right and left; serphinte style. When you’re getting shot at never stand still. That’s quickest way to ending six feet under. I felt a burning sensation in the back of my left leg, a mere scrape as I rolled onto the porch, protected by wood and plaster.

“I better not be shot in an artery you bastard,” I yelled, turning my leg around in the daylight to get a good view. It didn’t feel like I’d been shot somewhere important. No…it was scraping though dangerously close to the major vein that runs through the thigh. If he’d clipped that I’d be dead in less than two minutes.

“Daddy!”

My heart skipped a beat. Oh God…I’d totally forgotten about his little girl. I flung the door open; to hell with stealth or laws. Nothing had ever sounded so loud as my feet slapping that hardwood, nothing so raw as my ragged breaths tearing out of my throat, the sudden realness of the cold steel in my hands. Nothing mattered but that little girl. The door flung open, revealing them: father and daughter. The wounded. I cleared my throat, gun pointed at his head. He in turn, had his rifle pointed at his little girl’s heart .

She was adorable; curly blonde hair and bright blue eyes, wearing a white sundress with pink lacy trim and pink ribbons in her hair. She couldn’t have been no more than six. “Daddy,” she whimpered. She was too far away from me to do anything. “Daddy stop hurting everyone.”

“Put the gun down sir.”

Bedford’s haggered eyes flashed to his daughter, softening a bit before fastening on to me. I could feel the hatred. He loathed me. He despised every single fiber of my fucking being. Just like Keith. Only Keith also loved me. “I can’t do that honey.”

“Like hell you can. Look…just put the gun down and let me arrest you. Nothing bad is going to happen I promise…if you’ll just let me arrest you.”

“Will you find Caroline’s killer?”

“Yes.”

Silence. Bedford gave his daughter a broken smile. “I’m so sorry Isabella,” he whispered.

[I’m so sorry Riley.]

“I never meant to hurt you honey but…”

[But you have to admit it’s all your fault honey…]

“…Caroline…I love her…”

[…I love you Riley…]

“…And that’s why I must give it all…”

[…and that’s why I can’t be with you…]

Isabella fell, a flower of red blossoming on the snow white dress. Her father fell, blood spurting forth from a hole in between his eyes. And I stood there holding the smoking gun, tears running down my face. How fucking pathetic.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the long wait. I have finals tomorrow and I've been doing studies for finals ever since the last chap since I need to pass them. Anyway, this chap and the next will be kinda sad, mainly because you get to see a glimspe into Riley & Charlie's past....along with some mutual bonding of our adorable Reid and hunky Morgan. ^^ Sooo who is Keith you ask? ^^ you will find out eventually...