Forbidden

Chapter Five: Third Year Equals Some Scary Shit

DISCLAIMER: ANY FAMILIAR LINES I STOLE FROM THE MOVIE, IN NO WAY DO I OWN THEM!!! :D Thanks. Now, ONWARD!!

I woke up. I was still by the lake, but Snape wasn't next to me and I hadn't just screamed at him. It was a dream. A very tense dream. I wonder what dream Snape would've said? I wanted him to say 'I love you', but, even in a dream, I wouldn't think it possible. Snape is so cold hearted I don't even think a dream version of him could love. I frowned slightly. I cannot tell Snape. It would...it would be bad. I mean, I'm only 11, I MUST not tell him, at least, not until 7th Year....I would be 17 then, I would be out of school, or in my last year at least, and we could be together without his job at risk. I sighed...it was a long way off, I don't even think I could wait that long...

The rest of the year flew by, and Harry soon realized I was right about Quirell being evil. We won the house cup, but sadly lost the Quidditch cup.
Second year was a bore. Lockhart was extremely infuriating, Ginny Weasley almost died, Voldemort almost came back to power...again, and I still had my infatuation with Snape, and watching him at the dueling clubs...Anyways, My third year was probably the most interesting, and this is where I'll start off...

Aunt Marge. She was a total royal bitch, I tell you. And when she started making fun of Harry....well, it wasn't good. I actually blew her up. Not in the literal sense, but I mean with air, she practically turned into a balloon. We found it highly amusing, but we knew it was time to get out of there, and fast. We were soon on Magnolia Crescent.
"Harry, where the hell are we gonna go? It's not exactly like we can just go to Hogwarts early." I sighed as we sat dejectedly on the curb.
"I know, but we obviously couldn't stay there-Shh." He hissed, turning to look behind him. I turned too. There was something...big and black. It looked like a giant dog. I blinked and it disappeared. I shook my head, there wasn't anything there. I took out my wand and stared at it. This is how all this trouble started, with a stick. I knew it was bad of me to think this way, but if you were in my position you would be too. I mean, the Dursley's now knew we were 'under age' and not allowed to do magic outside of school, I was now in love with a teacher, there is this stupid 'Dark Lord' out to get us...I sometimes feel that maybe life wouldn't be as bad if I were normal. Suddenly I was yanked away from the curb and a big purple bus stopped in front of us. On the side it read Knight Bus. The doors opened and there stood a boy around 19. He was quite pimply and he had mouse brown hair. He stopped in front of us.
"Oi, what're you do'n on the ground mate?" He asked me. I opened and closed my mouth.
"Well, uhm. It's his fault." I muttered, pointing to Harry.
"What're your names?" He asked, eyeing us.
"October Crescent. That's Neville Longbottom." I replied. I didn't quite trust him, it was easily seen in his eyes. Harry now knew to trust my judgment and went along with it.
"Well, anyways, welcome to the Knight Bus, emergency transportation for the stranded witch or wizard. My name is Stan Shunpike, and I will be your conductor for this evening." We just stared at him. "Well come on then, let’s not wait for the grass to grow." Stan grabs our trunks and I look warily back at the shadows, and they were now just that, shadows. We climb aboard. Stan pushes us down onto a bed. I notice there is a wizard with extremely thick glasses, an unshaven face, and disheveled gray hair. And on the rear view mirror...
"Ugh! Is that s shrunken head?" I asked, my nose crinkling in antipathy. It was muttering between its stitched lips. Stan just nodded.
"Take 'er away, Ern," He said.
"Yeah, take it away!" The head agrees.
"Oh, ewe," I muttered. There was a loud bang and the beds slid across to the far wall. "FUCK!" I yelled after banging my head on a brass bed frame.
"Whereabouts you head'n?" Stan asked casually.
"London, The Leaky Cauldron." I replied. That way we could get to Diagon Ally and maybe run into the Weasley's.
"Leaky Cauldron?! Watch out for the Pea Soup!" The head cackles. I shivered once again.
"Isn't this a bit....dangerous?" Harry asked, looking out at the city.
"Naah. Haven't had an accident in – what?—A week is it, Ern?" Stan asked. Cause that just made me feel a WHOLE lot safer. I thought sarcastically.
"Heads up! Little old lady, 12 o clock!" The head shouted. Ern hit the break, and we all slammed forward. I noticed a man on the front page of the news paper Stan was holding.
"Who's he?" I asked as we slammed backward again. I was getting used to the movements now.
"Who is that? That's Sirius Black, that is. Don' tell me you ne'er been hearn' o' Sirius Black?" He asked incredulously. We shook our heads. "A murderer, he is. Got 'imself locked up is Azkaban for it."
"How'd he escape?" I asked, looking at the man. I admit, the picture was scary and he looked crazy, but he didn't quite look like a murderer.
"That's the question, isn't it? He's the firs' that's done it. Gives me the collywobbles thinkin he's out there, though, I'll tell you that. Big supporter of You-Know-'oo, Black was. Reckon you heard o' him." Wait...muggle news...killed 13 muggles.
"Yeah, I heard of him." We said, looking at Sirius's shifty eyes. Soon we hit the brakes again. We made it to the Leaky Caldron while setting off a wailing car alarm. The bus doors open with a groan and Tom the Inn keepers face appears.
"Mr. and Ms. Potter. At last." He said. I saw Stan's eyes bugger a bit, but then quickly hid himself behind the news paper. Odd. We got off, Owl cages and school trunks in hand. With a loud bang, the Bus disappeared into the night. Tom silences the car alarm and leads us through the bar. Tom leads us up stairs and into a room. As we follow Tom, we spot Hedwig.
"Hedwig!" Harry said happily.
"Right smart bird you got there Potter, arrived minutes before you did." Tom said. Someone cleared his throat and we turned to see a man in a pin striped suit and a green bowler hat. I stifled a laugh, he looked so odd...
"I should tell you, Ms. Potter, earlier this evening your uncle's sister was located just south of Sheffield, circling a chimney stack. The Accidental Magic Reversal Department was dispatched and she's been properly punctured and her memory modified. She has no recollection of the incident whatsoever." The man said. I blushed. I was sure to get in for it now...Harry already has a warning because of Dobby. "So that's that, and no harm done. Pea Soup?" He asked. I stared, slightly jaw dropped. What the hell?
"No thank you Minister...I don't understand. October broke the law, underage wizards aren't allowed to use magic at home—" Harry got cut off.
"Oh, come now, Harry, October. The ministry doesn't send people to Azkaban for blowing up their aunts! On the other hand...running away like that...given the state of things...very, very irresponsible."
"'The state of things', Sir?" I asked.
"We have a killer on the loose." I almost said that Black wasn't a killer, there just wasn't anything evil in his eyes, but kept my mouth shut.
"Sirius Black, you mean. But what's that got to do with us?" Harry asked.
"Hm? Oh, nothing. You're safe, that's what matters. Tomorrow you'll be on your way to Hogwarts. These are your new school books. I took the liberty of having them brought here for you." Two stacks of books appeared on the table. One was bound by a rope and had...fur? I read the cover. 'The Monster Book Of Monsters'. "By the way, Harry, October, whilst you are here, it'd be best if you didn't...wander." He then showed us to a room and left us to our selves.
"What a strange man." I laughed quietly, before crawling into a bed and falling asleep.

The next morning, Harry foolishly opened his Monster Book Of Monsters. So after we finally rebound it, we set off down stairs for breakfast. As we walk down the hall, a ragged rat dashed by with an awful, ugly, orange cat hot on its trail. We then heard arguing.
" I'm warning you, Hermione! Keep that bloody beast of yours away from Scabbers or else I'll turn it into a tea cozy!" Said a voice that sounded like Ron.
"He's a cat, Ronald! What do you expect?" Another voice retorted. Ron and Hermione. No wonder. We reached the bottom of the stairs and I grinned.
"A cat? Is that what they told you? It looks more like a pig with hair if you ask me." Ron replied angrily.
"That’s rich, coming from the owner of that smelly old shoe brush! It's all right Crookshanks. you ignore that mean little boy... " Hermione trailed off.
"Young love," I sighed, loud enough for them to hear me. They turned.
"October, Harry!" They said simultaneously. "I do not like herim!" They continued. (Herim = her/him).
"Sure. Anyways, waz up home skillets?" I asked, smiling a bit.
"Look! Look where I've been!" Ron said, pulling out a dog eared clipping and setting it on the table. It was a picture of him and his family in Egypt.
“Sweet. How’s Charlie, then?”
“Him and Bill are both fine.” He replied, grinning.
“How was your vacation so far, Mione?” I asked, walking over to her.
“It was fine.” She shrugged, then turned to Ron. “You know, the ancient Egyptians of the Nile River delta worshipped the cat goddess Bast.”
“I also, got a new wand.” Ron said, ignoring Hermione. Just then, loud voices come in from Diagon Alley. I turned to see Percy, Mrs. And Mr. Weasley, Fred, George, and Ginny walk in.
“Hello Weasley’s!” I grinned waving.
“October, Harry! How nice to see you, dears.” Mrs. Weasley smiled kindly.
“Nice to see you too, Mrs. Weasley.” I replied kindly as Fred and George bugged Ron about the Egypt clipping.
“Harry, October, might I have a word?” Mr. Weasley asked, beckoning to them.
“Of course,” We replied, simultaneously.
“That’s not creepy at all,” Fred said, rolling his eyes.
“Shut it, you do it with Fred all the time.” I scoffed, then walked over to Harry and Mr. Weasley. “What can we do for ya, Mr. W?” I asked, noticing that he was looking uneasily at the fugitive poster that sported the not-so-evil-looking Sirius Black.
“Harry, October, there are some in the ministry that would not want me to tell you this, but I feel you have a right to know.” He began. I raised an eyebrow. “You are in danger, grave danger.”
“Tell us something we don’t know.” I snorted. Harry elbowed me.
“Has it to do anything with him, sir?” He asked, nodding at the poster.
“How much do you know of Sirius Black?” Mr. Weasley asked.
“That he escaped from Azkaban.” Harry answered.
“And he supposedly killed 13 muggles and Peter Pettigrew with a single curse.” I added, remembering the news paper article.
“Harry, thirteen years ago, when you stopped…” He hesitated.
“Voldemort.” I supplied. He nodded nervously.
“Black lost everything. But he remains a loyal servant to this day. In his mind, only you two stand in his way of…” He stopped again.
“Mr. W, the fear of the name only increases the fear of the thing itself. Voldemort.” I suggested again.
“October, I hate it when you say—“
“Yeah, so does everyone else. Doesn’t stop me.” He rolled his his eyes but continued.
“In Black’s mind only you two stand in the way of…You-Know-Who regaining power. That’s why he’s broken. That’s why he’s broken out of Azkaban. To find you…”
“Why? To kill us? Sorry, really isn’t news to me. We are always wanted killed by someone. Aunt Petunia, Uncle Vernon, dear cousin Dudley, Quirell, Snape, Lockhart, Voldemort, Black…really, we’ll be fine.” He ignored me.
“Kids, I want you to promise me—no matter what you might hear—you won’t go looking for Black.”
“Sir, why would I go looking for someone who wants to kill me?” Harry asked.
“Just watch yourself, will you?”
“Alright, we promise. No go looking for some crazy ass prisoner escapee that wants to see us dead.” He looked at me sternly. “No, I’m serious. We promise.” I insisted. He nodded, looking relieved.

The next day, we were on platform 9 3/4, and I was sitting with Percy, who was looking out at the platform.
“Awe, cheer up! It’s your seventh year! Freedom! Come on, Mr. Grumpy Gills, be happy!” I said, sitting next to him and slinging my arm over his shoulder. The train began moving.
“I am happy,” He sighed dully, not looking at me.
“To hell you are, you are…sad, annoyed…is that because of me?”
“No, I’m not annoyed at you, but at Ronald.”
“Eh, Ron’s 13 and your little brother. He’s supposed to be annoying. There would be something wrong if he wasn’t annoying. Tell Penelope ‘hi’ for me, will ya? I’m going to go check up on the boys.” I said, then got up and left the compartment. It took me half an hour to find them, and just when I slid in, the compartment stopped, making me fly onto a man.
“Ouch! Eh, sorry.” I mumbled, climbing off him. He looked at me.
“October?” He gasped. I looked at him awkwardly.
“Yeah?”I asked, fidgeting. He broke out into a smile.
“Remus Lupin, your godfather.” He said. I gaped, then fainted.

When I woke, Harry, Hermione, and Ron were looking down at me, worried.
“Please tell me that he was a dream!” I moaned, sitting up.
“No, Professor Lupin really is your godfather.” Hermione said.
“Damn…where is he then?”
“He was really worried about you, but then Dementors attacked us and he went to go check on everyone else.” Ron replied.
“Dementors? Damn it! Stupid things.” I grumbled, crossing my arms.
“Do you even know what they are?” Harry asked, laughing.
“Yes. I looked up dark creatures myself last year when Lockhart taught us absolutely nothing except how to be a pompous ass.” I sighed. “I can’t believe I have a godfather.”
“Yeah, well, neither can I. D’you suppose I have one?” Harry asked. A look of concentration fell upon my face.
“Why Lupin though? Did he know our parents? If he did, he’d know who the hell your godfather is.” I said. He nodded.
“True…” He muttered.
“What are you all crowded around me for?! Off with ya, I’m fine!” I laughed. Hermione sat next to me and the boys sat across from us.
“My godfather’s cute.” I said to Hermione quietly with a cheeky grin. She laughed and bumped her shoulder with mine.
“Toby, he’s like…forty.” She snorted.
“So? Old looks good on him.” We looked at each other seriously for a moment before bursting out into giggles.
“What’re they laughing at?” I heard Harry mutter to Ron.
“I dunno—they’re girls.”
“A very good observation, Mister Weasley.” I snapped, glaring. As if he just noticed that!
“Sorry,” He squeaked. I rolled my eyes.

Ten minutes later, we were running through the rain and toward a carriage.

“Bloody perfect. Just what we need, Dementors and each fucking entrance.” I groaned when we reached the front gates.
“Oh, shush. They’re probably here because of Sirius Black.” Hermione berated me.
“Whatever,” I grumbled, jumping out of the carriage and into the rain. They all came out after me and began to run towards the entrance.
“C’mon, Toby!” Ron called when they realized I wasn’t following.
“You go ahead! I’m going to wait here for Lupin!” I called back. They nodded and ran off.
“Won’t need to wait long,” A sneering voice said from behind me. I turned. It was, of course, Malfoy.
“Go away, Malfoy.” I sighed.
“Is there a problem here?” A familiar voice said. I looked around Malfoy’s swollen head to see Lupin.
“No, professor.” Malfoy sneered before turning to walk away. I grabbed the back of his shirt.
“Talk that way to him again, and you’ll fall victim to a very nasty bat-boogey hex, got that?” I hissed in his ear before releasing him. He ran off to the front gated. I just now realized how grateful I was not to be wearing a white shirt. I turned back to my godfather. “That’s why your name was so familiar!” I exclaimed, the reason dawning on me. He looked startled.
“What?”
“You had come by earlier that day! Along with another! I remember now! Someone had said ‘I don’t care about your little problem, Remus Lupin, you will be my daughter’s godfather.’ Ugh, how could I have been so stupid?” I groaned, slapping my forehead with the palm of my head. He looked startled.
“You remember that?” He gaped.
“Yeah, that day in my most prominent memory. Oh, Harry wants to know if he has a godfather and if so, why the hell he hasn’t come for him.”
“Harry does have one. I’ll tell you who it is Saturday, but you mustn’t tell anyone, not even Harry.”
“Is it dangerous?”
“Very.”
“I won’t tell.” He smiled and nodded.
“We’d better hurry up, you can see the first years—they’re almost to the docks.” I nodded and we sped towards the Entrance Hall.
♠ ♠ ♠
DISCLAIMER: ANY FAMILIAR LINES I STOLE FROM THE MOVIE, IN NO WAY DO I OWN THEM!!! :D Thanks.