Umbrella.

ella ella eh eh eh

It was just one of those days. One of those days that never go right, where everything just wants to piss you off and succeeds ninety-nine percent of the time.

The toaster was the first thing to ruin the morning, turning two pieces of fresh white bread into smouldering squares of charcoal. No big deal, Kyo thought. I'll eat cereal instead. No milk. That redheaded bastard must have finished it the last time he was round. Which was yesterday. A small, dirty smile wandered on to the small man's face. Yesterday was good, very good indeed. Why couldn't today follow suit?

His car wouldn't work. He tried to get the damn thing starting for half an hour, with Kaoru moaning down the phone at him for being late.

"Yes, Kaoru, I'm well aware that I'm running late. But I can't start the car so I'll have to catch the bus."

A slight pause, then the older man took on a whiny, slightly patronizing tone.

"Are you sure it doesn't work?" What a stupid question.

"Yes. I'm sure. I'll get there when I can." Kyo rolled his eyes, nearly swearing at the bandleader but managing to compose himself in the last second. The last thing he needed today was a fight with Kaoru; he was too tired, too weary and exasperated to conjure up some witty rebuttal to spew back at the master of sarcastic comebacks. He sighed, grabbing his wallet from the kitchen table, checking his pocket for loose change and finding out he had none. Great. He couldn't pay the bus driver with a thousand yen note. That was ridiculous.

The sun was shining merrily while he was trying to get his car to work, mocking his frustration with bright rays of light, but as soon as he stepped out the door for the second time, on his way to the shop to buy something to eat while he waited for the bus, it started raining. And it wasn't just rain. It was giant rain, drops the size of pebbles falling on his uncovered head, tearing through his thick jacket and soaking him to the bone. Fuck food, he thought, I need a fag.

He reached the store, bought his cigarettes - something that actually went smoothly - and walked to the bus stop, checking the times. Thirty minutes till the next one. He growled a curse word, making an old lady tut and look all offended as she passed him. He didn't really give a shit, quite frankly; too cold and wet to even consider apologizing for his bad language. She could deal with it, had probably said worse herself anyway.

The last straw was when his lighter decided not to work, sparking dismally and dying pretty much straight away. He closed his eyes, lifting his head up and swallowing the scream that was trying to break free, since it would make the old woman do more than simply tut, it would probably give her a heart attack. He stood like that for a few moments, only opening his eyes when the rain stopped splashing on to his face, looking up to see the inside of a huge red umbrella that was sheltering him from the rain. He thought he recognized that umbrella, though there were probably a million ones just like the one he knew.

"Your chariot awaits, my kind sir."

Kyo definitely recognized that voice. He turned his gaze to the man who was holding the umbrella, looking at his fellow band mate with curious eyes.

"What are you doing here?"

"I came to pick you up." Die smiled, kissing him on the forehead, ignoring the disapproving glare the woman gave him. He didn't really care what people thought of his and Kyo's relationship, liked to show affection at any time, regardless of where they were or whom they were with. "Kaoru's probably freaking out even more now, since I was meant to be practicing that riff and he didn't know I was leaving. But I didn't want you to catch a cold. The buses around here are pretty shitty so who knows how long you'd be standing here."

"I see." The vocalist nodded, not really listening to the redhead's babbling but enjoying the sound of his voice nevertheless. Die tended to speak too much, but then again, Kyo probably spoke too little and so, they balanced each other out. Still, even though they'd known each other for years now, the blond hadn't quite got used to just how cuddly and tactile the older man was. Didn't mean he didn't like it, but at this precise moment, he wasn't really in the mood for being squished into a bear hug, which is precisely what Die was doing.

"You could, at least, pretend to be happy to see me." The guitarist pouted, noticing the slight resistance in the younger man's body and reluctantly releasing him.

"I'm sorry." Kyo offered a little smile, squeezing Die's arm gently in apology. "I'm just having a bad day."

"Well, we'll take the scenic route. Might take a little longer but it will give you time to relax, warm up and talk if you want." Die linked his arm through Kyo's elbow, pulling him in the direction of his darling red sports car. His baby, coming second to the vocalist in terms of adoration. "I have a couple of doughnuts in the front, but you'll need to feed me mine, and an in-car lighter so you can light both of us a cigarette. In return, I'll buy you some more milk coz I finished yours and deal with Kaoru's wrath for you."

"Bastard! I knew you finished my milk!" Kyo chuckled, hitting his long, pale arm lightly, before nodding and grinning up at the tall redhead. "It's a deal."