Rice Balls

onigiri.

Kaoru smiles from the kitchen doorway as Die bustles about, going though every single cupboard and drawer, humming along to the radio. Everything is unorganized, the kitchen unfamiliar to both of them and neither man can remember where they put the rice or the bowls or the chopsticks.

"Why don't we just get a takeaway?" The older man asks, still smiling softly and Die spins around with a pout on his face. "There's a Chinese right across the road."

The younger guitarist shakes his head, the pout turning into a grin. He's found the rice now and a pan to boil it in and he dances a little victory dance to the pop music blearing from the speakers, not too loud because they don't want to upset the new neighbours. He can't find the bowls, but there's still time. If the worst comes to the worst, they can just eat off the chopping board. "It's like a tradition for me." The taller man explains, cutting up strips of seaweed while waiting for the rice to boil. "Every new apartment... I seem to start my life there with onigiri. When I moved out of my parents place, it was all I could afford to make." He chuckles, remembering how poor he was back then, surviving on rice and ramen and cigarettes. "Then, the second one, I couldn't find any of my food for the whole first week, apart from rice, salt and some seseame seeds. I should've just stuck with onigiri... then I wouldn't have set fire to the kitchen."

"Idiot." Kaoru laughs, reaching up to ruffle his hair, before circling his arms around his partner's waist. "But then, if you didn't get kicked out, you wouldn't have come round to mine, stinking of booze and begging me to let you sleep on my couch."

"That's true." Die smiles, leaning back into the embrace and nuzzling into the shorter man's neck, thinking back to that night and how it changed everything, knowing that they probably wouldn't be where they were now without that stupid accident and that unforgiving landlord.

"But you didn't make onigiri at mine..."

"No, I didn't," the brunette admits, kissing the skin just below Kaoru's jawline before straightening and turning the bubbling pan down, "but you did. I hadn't eaten anything all day because of the stress. And you got all concerned and worried despite me insisting I wasn't hungry. Which is why I kissed you." He grins, his chocolate eyes sparkling when he looks back at his lover. "I guess I realised how much you cared about me... and realised that I felt the same."

Silence falls, a comfortable silence. No words are needed anyway. The older man has always had a slight problem with vocalising his feelings, but Die knows actions speak louder than words and the look in Kaoru's eyes, the way his arms are once again wrapped round him, tells him much more than words could ever say.

"So, this time... we're gonna make onigiri together. Though, you'll need to make more than me, since your girly hands are too small to make a man-sized rice ball." Die can't resist teasing him a little, grinning impishly before jumping as one of his lover's 'girly' hands collides with his bottom in a stinging slap.

"Yeah, they're really fucking girly." Despite his growling, sarcastic tone, Kaoru's not angry - his complex about his small hands disappeared a long time ago, back when he realised that they were perfect for squeezing his partner's tiny rear.

“Hey! You know I love your hands.” Die’s realised that too, along with a bunch of other things that they’re perfect for and he can’t imagine letting anyone else’s hands touch him. “Just like I love the rest of you.”

Kaoru wrinkles his nose at that, his lips curved into a little smirk. “You’re so damn mushy sometimes. Overwhelmingly mushy,” secretly, he appreciates the words and as Die turns to prepare dinner, he manages to whisper, “but I love you too.”