Status: Active.

Derangement

One

They had just reached the barrier between Nevada and Arizona; Aaden noticed no change. There was only dust and more dust. He yawned as he rolled his head back ignoring the desolately empty road and sighed. He’d give anything for a pit stop. The amount of urine stored in his bladder was excruciating.

The sun had just set, and the rest of Aaden’s passengers were asleep. Tony and Shelby were in a ball on top of each other, while Elle was leaning awkwardly over the divider between passenger and driver seat. Her head was dangling just above Aaden’s lap, bouncing with the bumps in the road.

They had been traveling for what felt like years, though it had only been a few hours. Aaden regretted insisting that he drive; Tony had offered by Aaden wouldn’t trust him with a toy gun. The boy was asking for an accident; he was the type that trouble always found them. Even Elle had had second thoughts about letting him in the car but Shelby had turned defensive girlfriend on them and they were forced to allow him in.

Aaden clicked on the radio in an attempt to wake himself up and keep his focus on the music and the road instead of on his bladder. It blasted loudly from the speakers waking everyone in the car immediately. Cringing, Aaden quickly turned it down.

“Well then, I’m up,” Shelby muttered from the backseat, stretching the kinks in her neck carefully. “Are we there?”

“We just got into Arizona. We’ve got a nice two hour more hours. I’m considering pissing on the side of the road.” He added the last sentence as an afterthought.

“Is that a gas station?” Shelby pointed in the direction of what looked to be a small building.

“If that’s a mirage, I’ll kill you.”