It Was Forty Years Ago Today...

Two.

The woman looked at his astounded face with a blank expression, her deep brown eyes staring into his blue ones.

"Can I help you?" She said finally, her voice soft and sweet, reminding Ryan of the bread he had smelled earlier.

He paused for a moment before answering, entranced by her beauty. Her tanned skin contrasted against the white of the towel she wore, and her wavy, wet hair fall almost to the middle of her torso. She was unlike anything Ryan had ever seen before - natural beauty radiated off her skin.

"Are you... making bread?" He asked finally, almost stumbling trying to find the word for 'bread'. It was as if he had forgotten his purpose in the first place: to get directions out of there. The woman smiled, her teeth snow white and dazzling him even more so.

"Come in," She said, making way for him to enter the structure, which now appeared like a comfortable home. "I was just about to take some out of the oven."

Ryan followed her inside, being led into a kitchen with baked and unbaked bread scattered across the countertop. The woman grabbed a large wooden paddle and fished inside a furnace-looking structure, producing three loaves of perfectly browned bread.

"My mom used to own a panaderĂ­a," she explained. "You know - a bakery."

"Smells amazing." He commented, taking in the delectable aroma.

"Like my mom used to say," She started, putting three new loaves into the furnace. "The more carbs, the better." She put the wooden paddle back where it had been, and wiped her hands together. Realizing she was still in only a towel, she smacked her head. "Oh! I need to get dressed!" She pleaded, leaving quickly to go upstairs.

Ryan stood there, dumbfounded. Questions filled his mind. Who was this woman? Where was he? Why did she feel so familiar, as if they had known each other for years?

Then he remembered why he had come in in the first place. He needed directions.

Leaving the kitchen, he began to ascend the stairs to find the woman who lived there.

Yards away, sitting in his bright red car, his sidekick buzzed wildly on the seat.