Moonlight and Red Wine

The Deal

The leaves crunched under my shoes. Making my walk more noise filled then I had planned on it.

The moon was barely hanging in the dark sky, casting little to no shadows against everything.

The wind was building again.

It was just me, my thoughts, and whatever happened to be out there for the time being.

I could hear the sounds of foot padding in the distance: wolves.

They sounded like they were following me. Meaning they weren't your typical wolf creatures. I kept to my pace as I headed into the wooded area in which I could hear their sounds.

It wasn't like the forest was off limits to a slayer, just everything thought they were safe once they reached here. Even in Sunnydale, that's where they all went to, the trees. As if I couldn't go into woods or something. Stupid paranormal creatures.

I quickly forget why I entered the woods in the first place since I decided I just merely wanted to be left alone. It was still a lot to take in, being half vampire half human. And the slayer of all things. Normal logic would say to kill any vampire but in this life, there were just too many different instances in which a person couldn't.

I sat down in the middle of the forest clearing, earphones pulled up to my ears as I zoned out in my own world. I was getting inspiration for dance moves, something I did a lot of being by myself. Nature at night helped too, it was something about the way everything around me, put me into the state of mind I was looking for.

As I started going over different moves, I felt the shift in the wind. Something no one could seem to feel when I'd mention it. I stopped what I was doing to take a look around. It was still, silent, not right. I slowly pulled the earphones off as I listened from each direction when I heard it.

The twig snap.

My breath caught a bit as I slowly picked up my dagger, waiting to see if whatever it was would make it's next move. As I stood there, a wolf, larger than any other I've ever seen stepped into the clearing. Staring me down with it's eyes as I just watched it.

It encircled me as I now noticed that I had no clue as to how far into the woods I was but I was making my escape route plan if need be. It watched as it kept looking me over, sniffing the air the it stopped. A low rumbling could be heard from it as I watched it's movements.

It was a werewolf, not one I was used but it was along the lines of a skinwalker more than anything. I gripped the edge of the blade when the wolf knocked me over, growling as it had pushed the dagger out of my hand and I was on the ground.

Quickly, I sprung to my feet, waiting for the fight, trying to find a way to get to the dagger but it pushed it away with it's foot.

"Oh hey," I smiled at him looking behind him, "Look a vampire!"

The wolf's head turned as I took that time to run. It wasn't much of head start but it at least gave me time to run and figure out how to stop it or get help. Let's face it, I couldn't face this one alone, especially not without a dagger. It towered over me too much for me to even get an advantage. Sure being 5'4" is tall but still, the sheer massiveness of it was more than me.

"Damn it, Deegan," I mumbled as I ran through the woods, hearing it behind me.

I stopped, looked around for a second then seen the tree above my head as I grabbed the branch to pull myself up and wait for it to pass. I watched as the wolf came to where I was, stopped, smelt the air, then howled like it was calling something or someone. I listened until I couldn't hear it anymore, as I crawled down from the tree as I feel to my feet.

"Last time, I do that," I mumbled as I shook my head and started to walk back the way I came.

I was slowly making my way back to the clearing when I felt something rush into my side, knocking me on the ground. I groaned as I crawled to my knees to see not one wolf but now two standing there as I knew this could end badly. I tried to stand on my feet but my left ankle was throbbing, I couldn't pull myself to stand.

"Aww come on guys," I looked at them, "Three against one, that isn't a fair fight."

I watched as they encircled me again as I pulled myself up to my feet, feeling the pain in my foot shot straight up as I whimpered. They started to walk towards me as I stood my stance, not letting them know I was afraid that this could be the end. The one in front walked towards me first, swiped his front paw at me then pushed his weight onto me as he pushed me back into the cold ground as he growled again.

I waited for the final blow to come but it didn't. It's when I heard sounds from behind the wolf in which I then felt the weight being taken off me as I looked up to see Edward standing there.

"I thought I told you to be careful," Edward smirked as I nodded feeling myself starting to shake.

"My ankle," I tried to catch my breath and stop shaking.
"She's going into shock," I heard Jasper behind him as Edward took his jacket off and wrapped it around me.
"Stay awake for me," Edward whispered as he picked me up from the ground easily.

I was placed in the car, feeling lifeless as I could just feel the slight sway of the road under the tires.

My eyes started to feel heavy as Edward looked down at me.

"No, Deegan, don't go to sleep," Edwards shook me as I couldn't stop my eyes from closing.
"Tired and cold," I mentioned as I heard the car accelerate towards it's destination.

The next few things, I couldn't remember, except for Edward calling for Carlisle and me being placed on a bed. I think I was in a hospital as I found myself falling into a dreamless sleep.

The next morning, I woke up to be in my own bed, in the house Angel bought as my eyes adjusted to the light. I was still in the same shirt but now in a pair of shorts as I sat up slowly in my bed. I looked over to the side to see Carlisle sitting on the couch, his breathing slow.

"Did you stay here all night?" I questioned as he sat up to look at me.
"How are you feeling?"
"It hurts," I nodded as he walked over to me, "You didn't answer my question."
"Yes."
"Why?"
"I wanted to make sure you were ok," He watched me as I picked at my nail polish.
"I'm sorry, I just. I got caught up," I looked up at him, "I didn't go looking for trouble, honestly."
"I know," He nodded as he sat next to me.
"But I can tell you want to yell at me."
"It was a mistake."
"I thought I was going to die."
"You could've," He sighed lightly as I shrugged.
"But I've got that healing thing."
"It's only good for so much. Healing doesn't stop shock," He looked at me as I shifted again, "Nor does it help it you have a bad enough wound."
"What happened?"
"You were attacked, by a pack of werewolves."
"You mean those skinwalker things?" I raised an eyebrow.
"You could say that," He nodded as it was slowly coming back to me, "Had it not been for Jasper and Edward, it could've been worse than just a broken ankle."
"Thank you," I looked up at him as he smiled lightly.
"There's some people who want to see you."
"Send them in," I smiled as he got up to let in Rosalie, Emmett, Alice, Esme, then Jasper.

"Hi," Alice smiled as she walked over to me, "Rosalie cooked for you."
"Should I be worried?" I smirked as she sat the tray down for me.
"Hey!" Rosalie protested.
"I'm kidding," I smiled as I looked down to see soup and grilled cheese.
"I wasn't sure what you wanted," She shrugged.
"Thanks, I was getting hungry."
"Are you feeling better?" Alice asked as she looked at me.
"Just sore and wishing I could get out of this bed," I chuckled.
"You can," Carlisle nodded at me as I seen Esme hold onto to him, "Just no patrol for a while."
"Ruin my fun," I mumbled as he smirked.
"Eat," He nodded, "Edward will be back later to see you."
"Thanks," I smiled as he let with Esme, Alice, and Jasper.

"He was worried about you," Rosalie took Alice's place.
"I know."
"I never seen him that worried."
"He could've turned me," I looked at the sandwich as Emmett moved to the foot of my bed.
"He couldn't," He looked at me, "He won't allow himself to do it."
"But what if it came down to it? What if he had no other choice?"
"He doesn't want you to live this life."
"But Alice," I looked at the two of them, "Alice said I would be one of you."
"He doesn't want anything worse to happen to you," Rosalie looked at me.
"Worse?"
"Angel told him about Dru."
"That was her," I rolled my eyes as it got silent for a second, "What if he didn't turn me though?"
"Who would?" Rosalie asked as I shrugged.
"If he can't," Emmett spoke seriously, "I'll do it."
"What?" Rosalie shot him a look as he nodded.
"Emmett, I-" I started.
"I'll do it," Emmett looked at me sternly as he did with Rosalie, "No more questions."
"But-" I went to start again, "I mean, everyone will hate you."
"You let me handle them," He smiled as Rosalie gave me a smile.
"Rest," She smiled, "Carlisle still has you on pain pills. I'll wake you before Edward gets here."