Moonlight and Red Wine

The Arrival

"Alright everyone," I looked at my team as they finished conditioning, "I want all of you to practice over the weekend and I'll see you all back here on Monday."

As they all agreed, they carried their sore and tired bodies out of the gym as I gathered my stuff. I really wasn't changing into anything particular just because if Carlisle let me play then why change into different clothes.

The skies were blackened by time I got out of the school yet it was still early. Only like 5'o clock or something like that. As I walked to my car, I thought I seen someone with that certain long blond hair as I put my things into the trunk but I shook it off and headed home.

In the driveway, Emmett's Jeep sat there next to Rosalie's convertible as I pulled up but neither one of them were there right now. Instead, it was Edward sitting there on the porch waiting for me to get home.

"Hey," He smiled lightly as I got out.
"Where's Emmett and Rosalie?"
"Oh, they left already," He nodded, "I figured you just didn't want to run or fly the entire way."
"Wow, you're a mind reader," I smirked at him as he was speechless, "I'm kidding. I haven't let you into my mind yet."
"That was mean," He glared as I got in Emmett's Jeep as he followed.
"Who said I had to be nice?" I stuck my tongue out at him as we headed out to the clearing in the forest where the rest of the family was at.

Edward helped me out of the car but I could've done it myself but still. As I hobbled out across the field, I cursed this stupid brace thing as Esme walked up to me.

"It's good your here," She smiled as she hugged me, "We could use an umpire."
"Oh, I was kinda hoping to play," I smiled at her as Carlisle walked up.
"Not with that thing on," He smiled a warm smile at me.
"Aww come on, I don't really need it," I pleaded with him.
"Until I see you walk without that, then the answer's going to be no."
"Aww come on, Carlisle, please," I pleaded.
"Sit," He pointed to a seat as I sighed withi an eye roll.
"Fine," I mumbled as I walked over to where Jasper was and suddenly found myself becoming happier again.

"Jasper, not cool," I looked at him as he smirked.
"What?"
"I just want one moment of being pissed at him," I crossed my arms.
"Come on smile," Jasper looked at me, "It's nice out. You'll have fun."
"Still not cool."
"Sorry," He smiled as I rolled my eyes as I took a seat in the cool grass.

I decided on just watching instead of being an umpire. I mean I really wanted to play but Carlisle was right even though I wouldn't admit it, I couldn't play right now. As I watched them play, I was drawn into their game and the thunderstorm. It was fascinating to me mainly since I for one didn't think vampires playing baseball would call for a thunderstorm or could hit like that.

As I was sitting there, enjoying my down time, I started to hear the sound of laughter. I knew the source too, it was that same laughter I heard echo in my ears just before Spike saved me. I looked around but we were the only vampires and half vampire around. I could still hear it though, her laughter, then her words floating around like she was close. I knew I wasn't imagining it, just I didn't know why no one else could hear it. Not even Alice who had the ability to see into the future, she didn't move a muscle.

I slowly got up from my spot in a trance as I followed the source of the laughter. No one seemed to notice except for Emmett who watched me.

"Deegan?" Emmett called out as everyone was talking, "Deegan!"

I didn't listen to him, instead I kept walking, trying to shake the words and laughter that were floating through my head. I made my way through the darkened woods as the source was getting louder, closer. Soon, I stopped by some brushes that over looked a pathway underneath me as Emmett caught up to me.

"Deegan, what are yo-"
"Ssh," I motioned to him as I seen the two people or things standing below us.

Their voices were more hushed now than what I heard earlier but I could see them. I wasn't sure if it was even her until she turned to face me as I ducked a bit.

"What?" Emmett crouched down next to me.
"That's Harmony," I whisepred as I looked back over the edge with Emmett, "I told you."
"I guess you aren't that crazy," He laughed in a whisper as I smacked him.
"But I don't know who that other one is," I looked at the figure as I tried to listen in closer.

"I told her she's here," I heard the other voice belonging to a familiar female.
"She doesn't know what she's getting herself into," Harmony laughed, "I will end her life."
"I brought you to her, now where's my money?" The voice asked.
"You'll get it, Adalia," Harmony smiled, "Soon."

"Mom?" I whispered in shock as I seen her turn in which I ducked with Emmett again.
"I'm sorry Deegan," Emmett looked at me as I stood up after I knew we were safe as I shook my head.
"Don't be," I looked at him, "I haven't had a mom since I turned 12."
"But she's-"
"I can hear Emmett!" I snapped as I was thinking, "That means all those years ago-"
"It's why Carlisle watched over you."
"Then what were the Harris's to her?" I questioned as I just looked at Emmett.
"I don't know," He shrugged, "Let's get back though."

Emmett pulled me along back to everyone who was looking at me but I didn't want to explain what had just happened. I knew Emmett was going to explain it to them all which I'd rather him do then me.

I knew he did too since Carlisle didn't want me to go back home for the night. I didn't object mainly since I didn't want to be alone.

I sat in my old room in the Cullen house as I heard a knock on the wall since the door was open. I turned to see Carlisle standing there with a slight smile on his face.

"Come in," I mumbled as I laid back on the bed to stare at the ceiling as he sat on the edge by my feet, "How'd you even let yourself even consider her?"
"I didn't think she would try to kill you," He looked at me, "I just wanted you to be around. It's hard to raise a child in a vampire home though."
"You could've," I mumbled at the ceiling as I heard him sigh.
"Would you want to?"
"I haven't had the most normal life now have I?" I questioned as I looked at him.
"No, you haven't," He smiled lightly as I sat up.
"Carlisle, look at my eyes," I let my voice come up a bit, "They haven't been brown in almost two weeks! They're gold."
"I noticed."
"And I can't stop craving blood," I shook my head, "And I can hear things others can't, at least not of the human variety."
"It'll get easier, I promise."
"When?"
"It will," He smiled as I brought my knees up to my chest as he watched me.
"Are you going to be ok for a while tomorrow alone?"
"Why?" I looked at him.
"We're going hunting," He watched me, "It's a nice day out and we need to eat, especially Jasper."
"Take me with you," I looked at him as he looked shocked.
"No."
"Why not?" I tried to reason with him, "I'm practically one of you."
"It's too dangerous."
"I can handle it, trust me."
"But if you get hurt-"
"I've dealt with hungrier vamps, I'll be fine."
"Stay out of our way," Carlisle questioned as I nodded.
"You have my word," I smiled as he got up with a smile then left the room.

Soon after, Edward walked into the room as I smiled lightly at him.

"Hey," He sat in a chair as I nodded, "How are you feeling?"
"Ok," I sighed as I looked at him, "Why?"
"Just everything happening."
"I'm fine," I smiled at him.
"About last night-" Edward started as I stopped him.
"I like you, I really do."
"That's the thing, I mean there's Bella."
"Yeah Bella," I rolled my eyes as I looked at him, "I figured, so let's just say you got caught up in the moment."
"But then there's you," He started like I hadn't even said the last line, "I thought it just all about Bella up until you walked into the picture. I thought I had everything figured out, then you walked into my life."
"And?"
"I can't quit you," He looked at me, "No matter how much I try, it's always you who creeps into my mind."
"Thanks, I think," I blushed a bit as he moved to sit next to me.
"I just want to know everything about you," His lips were so close to mine as I wanted to kiss him but held back.
"There's a lot to know," I whispered as he smirked when his lips met mine.

"Hey Deegan," I heard Emmett walk towards the door as I pushed Edward away from me to look past him.
"What?" I smiled at him sweetly.
"Am I interupting something?" Emmett questioned.
"No," I shook my head as I looked at Edward who smirked, "Someone just needs to let me know when people are approaching."
"Right," Emmett nodded as the last part was intended for Edward, "Anyway, Carlisle's got something to show you."
"Is it boring?" I groaned as I stood up.
"Actually, I think you'll like it," Emmett smiled, "But grab a hoodie or jacket, it's raining now."
"Alright, I'll meet you down there," I smiled at him as I smacked Edward on the back of the head as I passed.

"You heard him coming and didn't say anything," I glared as he rubbed his head as I slipped on a hoodie.
"You'll like what Carlisle has to show you," Edward smiled changing the subject.
"I hate that you know what everyone is thinking," I rolled my eyes as I walked towards the door.
"Except for you."

I stopped for a second, carefully choosing my words as I took a deep breath, not believing the words that were about to leave my mouth but they were.

"Meet me here tonight," I didn't look at him completely, just over my shoulder out the corner of my eye, "I'll share my secret with you."