Moonlight and Red Wine

New Life

Emmett carried my lifeless body through the forest, careful not to harm me anymore than what had been done. My breathing was shallow but I was still holding on to what life I did have left.

Emmett burst through Angel's house doors as Carlisle, Xander, and Willow seen me with the stake in my heart.

"Carlisle, I need your help!" Emmett yelled as he held onto me as Carlisle walked over to me.
"What happened?"
"She was on patrol," Emmett looked down at me, "Giles said she went alone and I knew something bad was going to happen. I had that feeling, so I went to find her. But I was too late. Harmony got to her before I could."
"Quickly bring her into the study," Carlisle rushed as into the study with Xander, Emmett, and Willow.

"She's dying," Willow looked at me.
"No," Xander looked at my body as he looked at them, "You've got to do something."
"I can give her a few drugs to keep her conscious for a while."
"Carlisle," Emmett warned.
"Xander, Willow, go find everyone, please."

Xander nodded as he took Willow as I gasped at the pain as it got the attention of the two vampires who walked towards me.

"Carlisle, you know there's no other option," Emmett argued.
"No, there has to be."
"She's dying!" Emmett defended himself, "She's already half of what we are. It woudn't take much."
"No!" Carlisle glared at him, "I'm not going to turn my own daughter."
"Carlisle, she-"
"No," Carlisle looked at him, "I won't do it."
"Dad?" I coughed out as Carlisle rushed over to me as the cloudiness was still there.

"I'm here Deegan," Carlisle smiled as he took my hand.
"I'm so sorry," I started.
"Ssh," He calmed me down, "You did nothing wrong."
"I'm so cold," I whispered as he looked at me, "And it hurts."

I reached for the stake as I went to pull it out when I felt two arms pin me down.

"No, sweetheart, don't do it," Carlisle looked at me with hurt in his eyes.
"Dad, I'm scared."
"Don't be," He smoothed out my hair, "You're the slayer. You're braver than anyone I've ever known."
"Dad," I coughed as he looked at me, "I want you to know that I love you. I always have since that moment you saved my life when I was kid. I never got to tell you but I love you."
"I love you too," He kissed my forehead as he wiped the non existent tears from his eyes.

"Carlisle," Emmett spoke quietly, "Let me do it. She wanted me to."
"Do you think you can control yourself?"
"Yes," He nodded as Carlisle looked at me one last time as he walked towards the door.
"Please, be careful with her."

Carlisle left the room as Emmett walked over to me as I could feel the half vampire side of me slowly starting to give in to the human side. I knew what was going on but I was hoping that it wouldn't. Kinda ironic too, a slayer taken down by the one thing she kills by the sterotypical stake.

"Deegan," Emmett whispered as he hovered over my body, "Angel told me another way to change you. One that would work faster for you. Please forgive me."

With that, I felt two fangs plunge into my neck, causing me to gasp as Emmett's free hand reached up to pull the stake out of my heart. I could feel the venom enter my skin that I was told about so many times before. It wasn't nearly as painful as I had imagined. It was soon replaced by nothing, I was numb but I could feel the pain caused by Harmony leaving my body.

Emmett pulled back when he could hear a faint heartbeat but knew that I was technically dead. He slowly made a cut on his wrist with his own fangs as he slowly brought it towards my lifeless body.

"Come on, Deegan, drink," He mumbled as he waited for me to spring back alive.

I could smell the blood take over my entire mind as I found myself waking up to new senses as I took a hold of Emmett's wrist to drink my first taste of blood. I could hear Emmett let out a groan as the blood found a new energy in me.

"Deegan," Emmett mentioned as I tried to stop the new hunger, "Deegan, stop."

Emmett pulled his wrist away from me as I looked at him, wiping the corners of my mouth clean. I watched as Emmett's wrist healed as I took in my surroundings.

"Wow," Emmett looked at me, "I didn't think Angel's way would work."
"Wait," I shook my head as I looked at him, "You mean-"
"Yeah," He smiled at me, "Welcome to your new life."
"Whoa," I looked down to see that where the stake had been was healing, "Everyone said it would be painful."
"It wasn't?"
"Not as much as that stake," I looked at him as he was still on the opposite side,"Are you ok?"
"Fine," He nodded as he moved closer to me, "How about you?"
"Better," I hopped off the table, "Did anyone get Harmony?"
"No," He shook his head.
"What happened?"
"I got there too late," Emmett looked down, "I had this feeling that something bad was going to happen so I went to follow you, only to find that Harmony had already staked you and you were hanging onto life by a thread. Then Carlisle could change you so I did as you asked."
"I'm sorry, I made you."
"You deserve to be here," He smiled lightly.
"Is everyone out there?"
"Yeah," He stuffed his hands in his pockets.
"I want you to go out there and pretend like you couldn't save me."
"What?" He looked at me like I was crazy.
"Trust me on this. Don't let Edward or Alice see what you're thinking."
"Ok," He nodded as he left the room to head back out to everyone.

In the living room, almost everyone was there; Carlisle, Esme, Edward, Alice, Jasper, Rosalie, Xander, Giles, Willow, Dawn, Spike, Bella, and than a now present Dru. Emmett walked out as he hung his head as he kept repeating "I'm sorry."

It was weird now since I could tell he was lying even away from him. It's like an extra sense or something, I knew that he was telling everyone a lie but I kept to my role of being gone.

"I'm sorry," Emmett looked at everyone, "I really tried but she was just too-"
"It's ok," Carlisle placed a hand on his shoulder as the ones who could cry, did.
"I should've been there," Spike mentioned, "I could've saved her again."
"Don't blame yourself," Willow looked at him, "Someone should've been there but she wouldn't want us to cry."

I heard sniffling as I decided to make my presence known. I slowly opened the door, making no sounds as I walked behind the group of mourning bodies.

"Who died?" I questioned as everyone looked towards me as their mouths dropped open.
"Deegan?" Xander looked at me as he was in shock, "Emmett said he couldn't save you."
"I told him to tell you that," I smirked as everyone looked happy yet pissed that we did that to them.
"But how?" Bella asked as I smirked.
"There's my slayer vampire," Dru walked back in the room as everyone's attention was now fully upon me.