Moonlight and Red Wine

Investigation

Why did it have to be so bright this morning?

I pulled my sunglasses over my eyes as I drove down the street to the high school in my Camaro. Third Eye Blind is blaring from the speakers as I was grateful for the few clouds that were starting to build to cover the sun every now and then. The weatherman called for thunderstorms in the afternoon which I was hoping would happen now.

I preferred thunderstorms over sun any day. Sure I loved sun tanning but in general if I could, I would live with it constantly cloudy. I pulled into the parking lot as a bunch of kids watched me. I wasn't exactly sure where to go but I found my way to the main office.

An elderly woman looked up at me with a strange look as she told me where the gym was and when try outs were to be held. I thanked her before being glad to leave the small office as I made my way to the gym, trying to avoid all the lastest gossip about me and well Xander and Angel. It was like the whole town just talked. Mainly of theories of what they believed. Most of them were untrue, the others, well they had no importance.

I stepped into the gym to see a volleyball game taking place, some kids tossing the ball. Some gossping like usual, then track stars making their laps around the gym. I examined the gym as I noticed it wasn't very suitable for a dance space but it'd do. Just made me want to find an actual dance space and hold practice there. Til then, this would work for try outs.

I looked down to see I still had a while til I had to be back here for auditions in which I decided to use that time to be by myself. Not totally, I mean I did have my lap top with me as I headed to a small cafe to sit outside.

The wind started to pick up as I sat at the table, waiting for the search engine to finish loading. I knew it would make me seem like everyone else in the town but I was running a search on Dr. Carlisle Cullen. Not to see if there was anything strange about him but why I knew him.

Maybe I was going crazy but there was something different about him that I didn't notice with other vampires. Even with Angel. Carlisle was different, he was caring, sweet. I never felt afraid or like I couldn't trust him.

"Nothing," I mumbled as I looked at the blinking line of the search bar, "Maybe."

I thought to myself as I typed in my own name. Going back to the town I was born in.

Estonia....family name, Storm, births, deaths, hospitilization.

"God, nothing was kept secret was it?" I mumbled as I watched the words go across the screen but not finding anything that jumped out at me.

Just a mention of a woman who gave birth to a daughter in private, that file was kept under lock and key. Something told me that I knew exactly who's birth that was.

I didn't even notice the world around me until I heard someone sit down in front of me as my head snapped up.

"Hey Xander."
"Someone looks busy," He joked as he pushed a cup of coffee over to me.
"I'm not, it's just personal."
"Too personal to answer your phone calls?" Xander questioned as I looked down to see I had 5 missed calls.
"Oh sorry," I shook my head closing the site and looking at him.
"What's got you so interested in ignoring everything?"
"Well for one, me," I sighed as he raised an eyebrow, "Not like that. I mean, before my parents sent me to live with you, do you remember anything about them?"
"Not really," He shrugged, "You're dad just wasn't the nicest person in the world. And you're mom always seemed like she was hiding some big secret."
"So it wasn't just me?"
"Well it could've been the slayer thing?" He shrugged trying to make me feel better.
"I think it was something bigger than that," I looked at him, "Like they were hiding me from my real family."
"Are you sure you want to go down that road?" Xander questioned as I gave him a look.
"You know something don't you?"
"I can't say right now. Giles made me promise," He looked at me as I rolled my eyes.
"I swear, watchers sometimes," I got up.
"Where are you going?"
"Unlike you, I've got to get to work," I flashed him a smile, "I'll see you later."

I got back in my car to drive back to the school in which I spent the next three hours watching student after student learn new moves or help to teach others. It wasn't that bad after they all got over the gossip and the cliques. Something I wasn't allowing to enter my practice space. If they got on this team, it was a family unit and that meant they'd stick up for each other no matter what.

By time I get finished, I was exhausted but I had to go to the Cullen house yet. I told Carlisle I'd check back with him just to please his ego.

As I walked up to the door, I took a few steps when something caught my ear. It was a snapping of a twig, like I was being followed. I looked around the empty trees but seen nothing still something was there. I was in my own world, scanning everything when I didn't realize the door being opened and myself being pulled inside.

"Inside quickly," I turned to look at Edward as I tried to wrap my head around what was going on, "Someone's following you."
"Or something," I corrected as he gave me a quick smirk.
"Your eyes," Edward studied me for a second as I looked at him oddly.
"What about them?"
"They weren't gold yesterday were they?"
"Um," I tucked a loose strand of hair behind my face, "I think you're seeing things."
"No-"
"Is Carlisle around?" I cut him off as he nodded then lead me to the living room in which I seen 4 others sitting around.

"He'll be down shortly," Edward nodded as I had eyes staring at me, "Deegan, this is my brother and sister, Alice and Emmett, and the other two are Jasper and Rosalie Hale."
"Hey," I nodded lightly as they waved.
"Everyone, this is Deegan Storm," Edward flashed a quick smile as they all waved, "Sit."

He motioned for me to take a seat as I sat down on the couch and he followed suit.

"That's her," Alice whispered to the one I was introduced to as Jasper as I looked towards her.

"Huh?" I questioned.
"It's nothing," Edward gave her a quick half glare, "Carlisle was just telling them about you being the slayer and all."
"Oh," I nodded as it got silent again.
"You're human?" Rosalie asked as I nodded for a second.
"You could say that."
"What brings you here?"
"Well, it was Angel dragging me here but now, now it's something more personal."
"Like?" She questioned as I was about to start when Carlisle walked into the room.

"Deegan," He smiled, "I'm so glad you made it back."
"Yeah well not much else to do around here, now is there?" I smirked as he let out a small chuckle.
"No, there isn't," He motioned, "Come with me."
"It was nice meeting you guys," I smiled as I followed him back to his study again.

"So any problems with the bandages?" Carlisle asked as I shook my head.
"Just some bruising and a stratch, but other than that, almost all healed."
"Is this tender?" He questioned as he touched the wound as I flinched.
"I said I heal easily not feel no pain!" I gritted through my teeth as he shook his head.

"Can I ask you something?" I questioned as I watched him write something down as the pain slowly faded.
"What?"
"I know this will sound totally strange and out of nowhere but have you ever been to Estonia?"
"Yes, once. Why?"
"Did you know a woman named Adalia?"
"You are awfully curious."
"And you didn't answer my question," I pointed out as he went silent for a second.
"Why don't you go on patrol with Edward again? Make sure whatever was following you is gone," He looked off into the distance as I knew someone was in the doorway now.
"Right," I gave him a look as I headed to the door, "I still want my answer though."

As I walked off through the halls, Esme looked towards Carlisle who was deep in thought.
"You can't keep it secret forever," She mentioned as he closed his eyes slightly.
"I know."