Moonlight and Red Wine

Papers

Carefully, I turned each page and picture as my mind took in what I was seeing.

That's when I stumbled across the first letter from my mom.

Carlisle,
I can't do this alone. And you know that. It's better this way. I'll let you about her some other time.


The next one didn't come til 6 years later, the day I was taken away.

Carlisle,
I hope you remember me. I need your help. Our daughter's been kidnapped. Someone took her while she was with some friends. I turned my head for just a second and it happened. God, I don't know what to do. She's so young, it shouldn't be like this. I left the necklace she wore that night, maybe you can find her. Please.
Adalia Storm


I looked at the small bag that was attached to the letter next in which it was my snowflake necklace. I thought I had lost it all these years ago. But it was sitting there right in front of me, never aging.

There were a few more letters from my mom about what I've done then pictures but it was nothing too memorable. It wasn't until I turned 12 well almost 12 that the letters gained my attention again.

Carlisle,
I can't watch out for her anymore. She's different. Her eyes won't stop changing. And she's the Slayer. I can't handle that. I haven't heard from you in a while. I'm sending her to live with my husband's family friends, the Harris family, if you want to find her. It's better for her, don't try to contact me. My mind's made up.
Adalia


My fists clenched as I read the last letter. She was hiding me from him, but why. I mean I had an idea but I wasn't so sure. I mean was it even possible?

I shifted through the papers, reading the police reports, articles, everything. Then seeing the pictures he kept on me as I felt my eyes water.

Then I seen it, my original birth certificate. It was exactly how I remembered it but this one was in Estonian. Something I could read a few words on and understand. I scanned the writing on the paper til I got to the part I wanted to see.

Father: Carlisle Cullen

My breath caught in my throat as I couldn't believe it. Carlisle, my dad? Why didn't he come find me? Why didn't he get me when my mom didn't want me? He was the one who saved me but then now it didn't seem like it mattered. He just started another family it felt like, forgot about me.

I heard the door open and voices, one being of Rosalie and Emmett back then the rest of the family, meaning Carlisle was back. Quickly, I put everything back in the file as I headed out to the living room to look at everyone with a smile on my face.

"That was quick."
"Couldn't leave you alone too long," Rosalie smiled as she slid the pizza box in front of me.
"Thanks," I think as I looked down at it but didn't move.
"Are you ok?"
"Um yeah," I shook my head, "I just need to go make a call real quick."
"Don't be too long. Your pizza will get cold."
"I won't," I smiled as I walked past Carlisle, careful not to look too long at him as I headed outside.

I leant against a tree as the day was starting to come to an end now and night was fast approaching. As I waited for Willow to answer on the other end, my hands were shaking as I tried to figure out what to say in order for me to not give it away or anything.

"Hello," I heard Willow's bright voice.
"Hey Will, it's Deegan."
"I know," I could hear that smile in her voice as I sighed, "Caller ID and all."
"Oh yeah," I smiled lightly.
"Is something wrong? Is it because Angel and Xander-"
"No, I'm ok."
"But what's wrong?"
"Is it possible for a human and a vampire to have a child?" I questioned as I heard her pause.
"Well yeah. I mean Angel had a son with whatshername."
"Thanks for bringing up painful memories, Will."
"Sorry," She grimaced as I seen that Volvo pull up, "But it's not impossible."
"So it can happen?"
"Yeah why?"
"Nothing," I shook my head as I watched Edward and this girl step out of the car, "Just something I was looking into."
"Is it bad? I mean I overheard Giles talking about there being a half vampire out there," She went on.
"No," I shook my head as I caught Edward's eyes, "I'll talk to you later though, ok?"
"Ok," Willow sighed.

I quickly hung up the phone, hoping Edward couldn't hear any of my thoughts or what I had been saying to Willow.

I slowly walked back through the door as I stood away from everyone to see this new girl sitting at the couch as everyone looked at me.

"What's everyone staring at?" I questioned as crossed my arms around myself.
"Are you ok?" Alice asked as I nodded, "Good, come meet Bella."

I slowly walked towards Bella as I grabbed some pizza as my stomach growled.

"It's so nice to finally talk to another human," Bella smiled as she watched me, "I mean you are human, aren't you?"
"You could say that," I shrugged feeling a set of eyes boring into me from behind.
"It's just no one else here can eat with me and-"
"I get it," I stopped her as I tried to eat the pizza but suddenly felt not hungry, "I'm sorry everyone, I'm just not hungry. If you'll excuse me."
"Where are you going?" Carlisle asked as my eyes flashed to him.
"I need some fresh air."
"Take someone with you," He nodded as I let out a low growl unintentionally.
"I just want to be alone right now, if that's ok with you?"
"I'll go with you," Edward looked at me as I shot him a look.
"I told you, I'm fine," I looked at him as I headed to the sliding door to let myself out.

I walked for a while to the close woods as the wind blew again. It was either rain or wind with this town, I swear. I kept my eyes down as I didn't want anyone to see the tears that were in my eyes.

I found an old treehouse close to where the house was as I climbed up it, sitting alone with my knees pulled up to my chest.

"Deegan?" I heard my name being called from below me.
"Go away, Emmett."
"Come on, Deegan," I heard him call out.
"Go away."
"Aww, you can't mean that."
"Just leave me alone," I hid farther in the corner as I heard it get quiet as I figured he left me alone for the time being.

I got stiff sitting in my spot for a while as I went to move, hearing the tree creak with my movements and the blowing wind. I slowly looked over the edge to see if I was alone but I wasn't.

Standing at the bottom of the treehouse, Edward stood there looking up at me.

"What do you want Edward?" I half hissed as he stood with his hands on his hips.
"You can't stay up there all night."
"Yes I can."
"You'll freeze to death."
"Maybe," I mumbled as I heard him sigh.
"Deegan, you're being unrational."
"Because you know what I'm thinking," I rolled my eyes.
"I don't, that's why I don't understand," He got quiet as I sighed.
"You don't want to know what I'm thinking."
"I do."
"Yeah," I half laughed, "Just as long as it's something Bella thought of that she told me."
"No, I want to know what's going on in your head."

I thought for a second as I looked down at him.

"If I were to fall, would you catch me?"
"Trust me," He looked up at me as I stood up from my spot.

I balanced my weight on the wooden edge, closed my eyes, then fell with the next wind blow. I was half waiting to hit the ground but I never did. Instead I felt arms go around me as I opened my eyes to see Edward smiling down at me.

"See," He smirked as I rolled my eyes and he let me down.
"I'm still not in the mood to talk," I mentioned as I walked towards the house again.
"Carlisle's worried about you," Edward mentioned.
"So?"
"We're all worried."
"Look, just give me some space," I sighed as I rubbed my temples, "I've got a lot going on in my mind right now."
"Like?"
"Space, Edward, space," I gritted through my teeth as I stopped with a thought that ran through my head, "The other day when I first met Alice, she whispered to Jasper, something. Something along the lines that "that was her", what'd she mean by that?"
"It was nothing," He looked away from me as I knew he was hiding something.
"If you tell me," I bargained with him on some level, "I'll tell you something about me that I hadn't told anyone."
"What?"
"It's nothing," I smirked as I headed into the house to be followed by Edward only to see Carlisle sitting with his eyes directed away from me.

How badly I wanted to say something. Anything. But I couldn't find the words to tell him. Maybe not just yet but I wanted to know it it was the truth. Was that the big secret that Carlisle was hiding from his entire family and the town? And if it was, why?