I Hate Love Stories Because I'm Never in One.

Twenty-Eight.

The next day, I was stood facing the school gates as if they were going to swallow me whole. Determined though, I hitched up my bag on my shoulders and marched straight past them, desperately searching for Matthew.

I couldn't find him anywhere that I thought he would be. I checked the quad, I searched the corridors where he was known to hang around, I even searched around the dining room for some reason.

Maybe I should have realised that he'd be in the art room. I was such an idiot sometimes.

Now that I was peeking through the small window in the door at him, I was suddenly overcome with nerves and my knees started to shake as I planned out what exactly I was going to say to him.

He was sketching something out on a scrap of paper, his eyebrows knitted together as he concentrated on the drawing. I was debating on whether I should just come right out with it or build up to the apology.

I ran out of time though because he looked up at that moment and raised an eyebrow at me. Taking a deep breath, I pushed the door open and stepped into the classroom as Matt stood up to shuffle closer to me.

"Hi..." I said a little breathlessly.

"Hello." he replied slowly. I could tell he was trying to say something so I waited patiently as he wrestled for words.

Finally, he looked up and I could see the agony and pain in his eyes. I almost wished that I hadn't of waited.

"You left yesterday...he, erm...he followed you." Matt mumbled, scrunching up his face as I nodded slightly. "I-I should have followed you. I've really messed this up, haven't I?"

I bit my lip hard and looked at him with complete sympathy...and guilt.

"No, Matt. This isn't your fault. I shouldn't have kissed you, I shouldn't have led you on when I didn't even know what I was doing myself." I told him urgently.

"But you chose him?" he asked quietly, glancing away awkwardly when he saw the look on my face...it said it all, really.

"I'm sorry, Matt. I really am."

He took a moment, exhaling a rattling breath as he controlled his emotions. I wanted to comfort him but I realised that it would probably make it all the more worse. The last thing he needed was me being any closer to him.

Finally, his eyes cleared and his face went blank.

"I just wished that it could have been me. I can't change how you feel though so...so I'm okay with that. Really." he insisted, hands running through his hair as he sighed.

There weren't even words for how grateful and tortured I felt in that same moment. On one hand, he was going to forgive me for what I'd done and he was being more than kind when he accepted how I felt. On the other hand, I still caused him to feel like this and I couldn't take any of that back.

"Thank you." I choked out. "Seriously Matt, you're amazing."

He grinned at me and shrugged his shoulders. "I know I am."

I laughed along with him, allowing that comment because it was true. He probably did know how amazing he actually was. He shot a look at me and held out his hand for me.

"Friends though?" he said, indicating at his hand for me to shake.

I took it with enthusiasm. Though Matt hadn't turned out to be the one I chose in the end, he was probably going to be a fantastic friend.

"Good. We should sit down...Miss Doolittle will be here in a minute." he muttered, waving an arm out for me to go first. As I walked past though, he stopped me and looked me in the face.

"I'm not promising that I can be all normal now...I'll still feel the same about you. I'm happy with being friends though." he mumbled, leaning forward to kiss my cheek softly. "That other dude is a lucky guy."

I smiled weakly, my eyes tearing up. "Friends." I told him.

He returned a smile, opening his arms to hug me. "Friends." he agreed.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm wrapping up this story. Maybe one more chapter left, I think?
Guns and Horses by Ellie Goulding-Inspiration for this chapter.
Hope you guys enjoyed it though :)