Status: Active.

Reincarnation

Four

The kink in Elle’s neck didn’t seem to want to dissipate, even as she constantly massaged it. Though with a backpack that seemed to weigh half of what she did, it didn’t seem likely that any of her kinks would go away. Remy, himself, was struggling. Of course, he would never let them see that. He was the leader, the man in a pack of women. He was tough and ready to fight for them…

Well, he was ready to fight for Elle.

From the beginning of the infection, everyone he had teamed up with had gotten themselves killed. It had been devastation for Remy, not just because he was now alone in this fight, but because they had been his friends. So he had made a promise to himself that from now on, no more attachments.

The moment Elle came into the picture, sweaty and bleeding, he couldn’t even bring himself to point the gun at her. He could see it in her eyes, that she was petrified. It was so very obvious that she was running for her life, but her leg was holding her back. When he had first met her the gash in her leg had held them up for days, and eventually he had just given in to the fact that he needed to carry her.

And now, almost three months later, they were inseparable. If they weren’t running for their lives at almost every second of every day he would’ve told her by now. But he couldn’t let himself have an attachment.

Elle, on the other hand had been alone since Remy. The girl just in front of her was the most relieving thing she had seen in almost three months. Her youth, even her fear lifted her spirits. She would’ve hugged the girl, but she knew Remy would flip his lid.

“There’s got to be another town somewhere.” Elle’s hands rested on her knees as she sat the pack down and rested her cramps. Remy, on the other hand kept his gun at the ready. He always seemed to know when something was coming. When Elle saw that look in his eye she straightened up immediately, latching onto Haley’s arm and dragging her toward them.

“Get your knife.” Remy’s voice was quiet as he slowly upholstered his gun and pointed it in front of him, squinting against the desert sun. Elle was panicked as she dug through her bag, gladly grasping the handle of an uncovered blade. Her palms were covered in scabs from when she had grabbed the wrong end.

“Stay behind me, Haley.” Haley didn’t argue, she seemed to understand the situation and even as Elle focused all her attention at the area in front of them, she could feel the anxiety seeping from Haley.

She could hear them then. The steady rhythm of several pounds of dead weight; in her head she guessed there was maybe three or four. Too many for Remy to take out all at once, she swore under her breath as she dug desperately in her bag once again.

This time she did grab the wrong end of the knife. She whipped it out, biting back pained tears as she held it out to Haley. “Learn fast, little girl.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm very proud of this chapter. :]