Sequel: Angel's Child

Golden Angel

Chapter 10

Weapons training wasn’t very eventful…

Artemis found it was best just to practice her dexterity rather than fight with her brothers.

She knew their styles too well, she realized, and needed to mix it up.

But she stayed tuned to the sounds, the voices, as Mitsukai stretched on the ratty blankets they’d set up for her in the living room.

“Ya know what I like best ‘bout weapons practice? The weapons.”

“Too bad you’re stuck with those toothpicks and not a real weapon like the nunchucks.”

“Sorry, Mikey. But the Bo staff is where it’s at!”

“Boys, put away the toys! Double katana is the only way to play!”

Shaking her head a bit, Artemis sighed.

“Can’t we all just agree that our weapons are good in their own way and drop it?”

“I believe your sister is right.”

Everyone looked up as Splinter showed himself.

“It is not the weapon, but the hand that wields it. For example…Artemisia, may I?”

Handing over one of her smaller fans, she quirked an eye-ridge.

“Does this fan look deadly?”

Raph shook his head.

“Nope.”

“But, when your sister wields it, she’s able to defeat opponents larger than herself. Why do you think that is?”

“She’s a kick-butt kunoichi with an attitude problem?” Mikey supplied.

“No. Because she has mastery over such a ‘harmless’ weapon.”

He handed it back, and she gave a nod.

“Thank you, sensei.”

Standing, she headed to line up with her brothers.

“You all fought well. Leonardo, you have won, but do you know why?”

“Well…I have the superior weapons. I remember when the sword master Musashi saying that the katana blade is the soul of steel. It’s the truest guide to the warrior’s way. Which is kinda how I feel.”

“Many things are said, but few are true.”

‘I feel a lecture coming on…’

Mitsukai must have felt the same, because she hid under the blankets and covered her ears with her paws.

“Leonardo. Attack me with your katana.”

The other four turtles stepped clear as Master Splinter put his walking stick against a wall.

“Master Splinter, I-.”

“Do it! Now!”

Artemis closed her eyes before Leo tried to strike.

She never enjoyed seeing him getting beaten up, though she never understood why, really.

When they’d been younger, and she’d felt more vulnerable, he’d protected her from the monsters under the bed until she’d found the courage to face them herself.

To see him lose, even to teach him a lesson, hurt her deep inside.

“Is this the great weapon of which you speak? Helpless before an old rat such as myself? Again. With both.”

There was a clang of metal, then relative silence.

“In the hands of a Ninjitsu master, anything can be a deadly weapon.”

She opened her eyes, deigning it safe, and sighed as Splinter lowered his walking stick.

“Remember, the weapon is only as good as the arm that wields it, Leonardo.”

The elderly rat threw his walking stick, and it pierced the punching bag.

‘…SHELL…’

“Until you have learned this lesson, you have learned nothing.”

Seeing the sad look on his face, she sighed, feeling bad.

When he left abruptly, she followed, Mitsukai barking after her.

The dog didn’t follow, however, since Master Splinter stopped her.

They ended up on a clear rooftop, and she was sitting on the edge as he let out steam.

“I don’t get it! What haven’t I learned? My skills the best it’s ever been!”

The gold-banded turtle closed her eyes, breathing softly.

“I just don’t get it! Master Splinter just doesn’t understand how important these swords ARE to me!”

Nodding, she smiled a bit.

“No one else knows how much you care for something. It’s the way the world works, because no one can ever truly read your thoughts.”

“You know, you’ve gotten really good at this consoling thing.”

“I’ve been practicing.”

Something caught her eyes, and she threw a kunai.

It broke the arrow’s shaft, and Leo managed to catch the head, paper tied to it.

“Have you been working on your aim?”

She smirked.

“Now why would I go and do that?”

Rolling his eyes a bit, he unrolled the note and started reading.

“’Warriors, if you are reading this note, you have passed the first test. I call upon you in the way of honor, and you will come if you follow the way of Bushido. Come, and you will come alone’.”

Sighing, Artemis stood up, stretching.

“Well, come on.”

“Didn’t you just hear what the note said?”

“Yeah. So let’s go.”

“Artemis-.”

“I’m going. And I’ll be going because it would be stupid to let you go alone.”

Crimson eyes followed his eyes as it traced the scarring gash on the side of her head.

“I’m not leaving you alone.”

Their eyes locked, as if he could somehow change her mind with a single look.

“…Alright…Come on.”

Smiling a bit, satisfied that she’d won the battle, she followed the blue-banded turtle.

The place wasn’t far, actually, and she felt her stomach twist uneasily.

But the air shifted, and she recognized the presence of her other brothers.

‘If anything goes wrong, they’ll jump in…’

She didn’t trust going in the door, but followed Leo anyway.

The whole space had a Japanese feel to it, and Artemis stiffened when she saw the red symbol on the walls.

“Leo…”

Black-clad ninja stepped out of the shadows, and she pulled out her two large fans, snapping them open.

“Ready, Leo?”

“Ready.”

There were thirteen, from what she could count.

‘This should be easy…’

Spinning her fans easily, she slid into a ready stance.

Leo unsheathed his katana as the circle tightened around them, and there was a moment of stillness, silence…

The calm before the storm…

Her fans lashed out quick as the wind, her feet moving before any of the ninja even thought to react to the sudden assault.

She spun away from a katana blade, her foot coming up to kick the assaulting ninja in the face.

Once the adrenaline was starting to pump through her veins, the fight was over.

Her blood pounded in her ears, heightening her senses and making her hyper-aware as she snapped her fans shut.

Breathing deeply to calm herself, she locked eyes with Leo again.

“Told you I should come.”

Clapping reached them, and both turned to see a Japanese man, who wore traditional Japanese garb.

“Impressive…”

She tensed when his eyes went over her.

“VERY impressive…”

Eyes narrowed defensively, she strapped one of her fans to her shell easily.

“My agents said you were good, but their description doesn’t do either of you justice.”

Putting one hand on her hip, she leaned on her other fan.

“I am Oroku Saki. Eighth generation master of Ninjitsu. And you are?”

Leo slowly sheathed his katana.

“Leonardo.”

“Artemisia.” She admitted, still feeling her stomach writhe as her brain screamed to run.

“Your…appearance is very striking…”

“It’s not a costume. Though I know that’s hard to believe.” Leo answered.

“Much easier to believe than you might imagine…”

Artemis set her jaw when she noticed that, though he was talking with Leo, his eyes never left her.

Trailing her figure and legs and arms, and sometimes landing on her eyes.

She glared a bit at that, feeling strangely exposed.

“I have seen enough of this world to expect the extraordinary…And you ARE extraordinary.”

He seemed to actually be addressing her now, and she snorted a bit.

“I already knew that.”

Leo felt something in his chest at the look on the mans face when he looked at the kunoichi.

Something close to possessiveness, almost obsession, and it clawed at Leo’s ribs like a wild animal to see it.

He felt protective now, defensive, at the threat.

The threat to WHAT, he himself wasn’t too sure…

“But, I did not ask you here to flatter you. We have important matters to discuss.”

“What ‘matters’?”

“I take it you sent us this?” Leo added, holding up the note.

“Yes. I felt it was urgent that we meet. There are things you two need to know.”

Curious besides her wariness, she quirked an eye-ridge.

“There are definitely things we need to know. Like why ninja, YOUR ninja, have been trying to bash our heads for months now.” Leo stated.

“That is exactly why we need to talk. We have been fighting each other, but we should really be on the same side, fighting our true enemy.”

“What enemy?” Artemis questioned.

“I think I have the scars to prove that YOU guys are the true enemy.”

“I see…To you, nothing is clear now.”

Crimson eyes narrowed to slits as she gripped her fan tighter.

‘But I can see clear as day…’

“You have been caught in a battle that is so much bigger than yourself. But you must know that there is a force, a corrupt and evil force, that is out there, right now, working its acidic tentacles into every aspect of our world.”

His eyes turned to her again.

“It is an organization devoted to obtaining power through political manipulation, corruption on a global level. And even with your skill and power, you can not fight them alone.”

“What do you mean by that?” She asked warily, shifting her weight uneasily.

“You don’t feel the power in your veins? I can sense it clearly.”

She snorted again.

“Yeah, right. I’m nothing special.”

“You’ll see, young kunoichi. You’ll see…”

She didn’t quite trust that tone of voice, or the man himself…

“Unfortunately, the only thing in the way of this force are me and my…humble army of ninja.” He continued, getting back on track.

“We stand alone before them, like my master, and his master before him. It has been my destiny to fight for the side of good.”

His eyes locked on her again, like he was talking only to her now.

“I was hoping you could find it in your heart to join me and fight this evil.”

Leo felt that threat again, but kept his face neutral.

“We could stand together.”

He made it seem more intimate than it should have, and it made her skin shiver.

“I will not ask you to decide here and now. Meditate upon what you have heard today. And come back tomorrow night with your answer.”

She KNEW the offer was for both of them, but she felt her muscles tense as if a large predator was waiting to pounce.

Her throat was choked for the first time in her life, stopping any words.

‘Frozen with fear…’

Now she understood the saying.

Leo, seeing her frozen state, touched her arm.

It seemed to thaw her faster than heat, reminding her that she wasn’t alone.

That she wasn’t defenseless.

That she wasn’t HELPLESS…

The blue-banded turtle turned to lead them out.

“Wait.”

Her skin shuddered again as Leo looked back.

“There is one more thing.”

Oroku Saki clapped his hands, and a ninja brought a sword wrapped in cloth.

Taking it with his free hand, his other hand entwined with her own unconsciously, he let the cloth slide off.

“This sword has been in my family for three hundred years. It was crafted by the master Tori Kurahara in the sixteenth century.”

Her eyes were on the strange red symbols all over the hilt and handguard.

“It is said that in the forging-.”

“That Kurahara folded the metal over seven hundred times…To remove any impurities.” Leo finished.

“Yes…You are impressive…”

He still eyed her like fresh meat, like prey, and she shifted slightly more behind Leo.

“It is for you to keep.”

“No, I-I…”

“Take it. I wish you to have it. As a token of my sincerity.”

Leo held the scabbard daintily in one hand, and tightened his hold on her own.

He stepped back into the shadows, almost like a blank panther, and she felt his chilling gaze one her shell as she left with Leo.

They were soon back on the rooftop they’d gone to in the first place, and she was loathe to release his hand.

It meant less security, less warmth…

Less Leo…

“…This is beautiful…” He muttered.

“Oh, LEONARDO…”

Both looked up to see the others.

“You’ve got some splaining to do.” Mikey finished in his horrible accent.

“Nice letter opener. Is that the price ‘a sellin’ out these days?”

“Raph!” Artemis snapped, but she still felt her soul shaking.

“It’s not what you think. I was invited to-.”

“To hook up wit’ ‘em?”

“No! I mean, yes…but it’s different than we thought. They’re not the enemy. I mean, at least I think they are…Everything Master Saki said-.”

“MASTER Saki?” Raph interrupted.

“What’s up wit’ that?”

“I thought we already HAD a master. Remember? Master Splinter?” Don added.

“Remember him, Leo? Really hairy guy? About this tall? I don’t think we can just ditch him.”

Artemis watched them fighting, her heart tightening.

‘Stop…’

“I’m not talking about ditching anybody! I’m only talking about joining another group of ninja in a fight against evil.”

Leo and Raph soon got physical, fighting over the blade.

“Guys, stop it…” She forced out through her choked throat.

“Stop.”

They were wrestling, getting dangerously close to the edge.

“Guys!”

Leo looked ready to push his brother into the alley…

“STOP!!!!”

There was a stunned silence as the four stared at her, surprised at the sudden shout.

Closing her eyes, she fought for her voice.

“I…I don’t like this either, Leo. I don’t trust him.”

Leo stood up.

“Why?”

“I just…Something doesn’t feel right. I just don’t feel…RIGHT around him…”

“He was eating her with his eyes, for shell’s sake!” Mikey added.

“Couldn’t you see it, bro?”

Raph growled a bit, shaking his head a bit.

“Ya probably didn’t notice through his little speech. It looked like ‘e was gonna jump on ‘er an' ravage ‘er!”

Hearing it from somebody else obviously didn’t help her shaking voice, and she took a step closer to Leo.

“Leo, we need to tell Splinter.” Don stated.

“You’re right…”

He put a hand on her shoulder, and her shaking seemed to die down.

“Let’s go, Artemis…”

‘I won’t let him hurt you…’

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They sat before Splinter, all information laid out and told, nothing left out except for Artemis’s shaken spirit.

He even held the sword in his hand, and the elderly rat looked almost…

SAD…

“My children…I had hoped this day would never come…”

Artemis steeled herself as Mitsukai nuzzled her, trying to comfort the jade-skinned turtle.

“I know who these people are. I have always known. This is the symbol of the Foot ninja. Their leader is Oroku Saki. But he has another name. He is…the Shredder. I have often told you of my beloved Master Yoshi, but now it is time I tell you the WHOLE truth…”

Artemis closed her eyes, ready to absorb the information and sort it out.

“As you already know, my master was a ninja of great power. One of the greatest practitioners of Ninjitsu in centuries. I was his pet rat, and I learned Ninjitsu by mimicking his moves. For many years, I was happy. We were…a family. But that life ended when the Shredder sent his Foot ninja to attack my master. My master battled honorably…But, through their dishonorable ways…The Foot ninja overpowered him…”

Breathing deeply, she tried to calm her heart as it threatened to skip a beat.

“Then, the Shredder entered…They accused my master of working with their enemies…They wanted information. They were relentless. But my master only said one thing…‘He who lives without honor, shall end without honor’. I tried to save my master…but my efforts were in vain, though I did leave my mark…The Shredder had taken my Master Yoshi from me…From the world…Not long after that, I found YOU, my children. And you all know the rest.”

Opening her eyes, she looked up at her father.

He saw the normally stable gaze wavering, and understood.

Being prey was unnerving, nerve-wracking, shaking, and she had no experience in handling such a position.

She was more independent, more dominant, and a submissive position was foreign to her very nature.

“I did not tell you because I did not want your training to be poisoned with hatred. I did not want you to feel the sorrow I still feel in my heart.”

His gaze met theirs.

“But now, you need to know who Saki, the Shredder, REALLY is. Her serves no great purpose. He fights no great evil. He IS great evil. Any endeavor he undertakes is for his own selfish gain.”

“…Man…I am such an idiot.”

She lowered her eyes.

“No you’re not, Leo…”

“But I fell for it.”

“That’s not your fault.”

Her eyes were firm, sure, and it helped him stabilize.

“So what are we gonna do ‘bout it?” Raph questioned.

“Shredder wants an answer? I say we give him one. Turtle Style.”

Sharing a glance, they bowed to Splinter before getting ready.

‘I won’t let him scare me away.’ Artemis thought decidedly, pulling on her fans and hiding her kunai.

‘I won’t let my brothers down.’

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Standing on the rooftop of the building they’d been in the night before, crimson eyes scanned the gray clouds.

Leo held the sword in his hands as the black-clad ninja landed across from them.

Weapons drawn, the two groups faced each other, hostility crackling in the air.

“Tell your boss the answer is no. And he can have his sword back.”

He threw it, and it got caught in something metal.

Spinning her large fan, she smirked.

“Let’s dance…”

They lunged, and she made quick work of the first few.

Then the numbers around her grew, trying to overwhelm her.

‘It’ll take a lot more than THESE guys to beat me…’

Jumping up, she did a hurricane kick and sent most of the group flying.

Her brother’s banter drifted on the air to her as she kept moving, knocking ninja away with every sharp movement.

She just smirked a bit, and knocked the last opponent out with a hard punch.

“Well, all in a day’s work.” Don stated.

The door leading to the stairs busted open, and she felt her muscles tense at the sight of Hun.

“Not HIM again…” Don muttered.

“We beat him before, we can beat him again.” Leo replied.

“I’ve been looking forward to this rematch…”

“I’ve been looking forward to kicking your ass again.” Artemis replied, twirling her fans.

“Bring it. If you’ve got the guts.” Leo challenged.

Hun charged like a bull, and she jumped up, her foot meeting his face again.

His momentum must have caused his nose to break, because he stumbled back with blood coming out of his nose.

Her brothers jumped in to help, but Hun was faster than he looked.

Fortunately, Artemis was pretty light on her feet, and managed to dodge his blows and lands hits of her own.

Hun, using the blade Leo had thrown, started battling the blue-banded turtle.

When he disarmed him and looked ready finish him off, something in her heart roared.

“NO!”

Jumping, she sank her kunai into his arm.

“ARTEMIS!”

Using it as leverage, she brought her feet up and kicked him back.

Pulling her knives free, she stepped back as Hun fell through a skylight.

Breathing hard, she pulled the kunai back into her wristbands.

Artemis looked back at her stunned brothers.

“You okay, Leo?”

“I’m fine…”

She nodded, feeling a bit light-headed.

“Leo…”

He caught her, pulling her arm around his shoulders as his hand rested on her hip.

“Are you feeling okay?”

“Just a little…light-headed…”

“We’ll sleep well tonight!” Mikey stated.

“That was TOUGH…” Don agreed.

Raph returned Leo’s katana, and Artemis tried to bear her own weight.

“Come on, guys. Let’s go home.” Leo stated.

He turned, still bearing her weight, and stopped.

There were more Foot ninja, and Artemis managed to stay on her own two feet, pulling out her fans.

The group of black-clad ninja parted to reveal their leader, the metal-clad man known as the Shredder.

His eyes were an evil shade of red, and stayed locked on her own.

“Those who are not with me are against me! And I crush ANYONE who stands against me!”

Closing her eyes, she prayed it was just a nightmare.

‘Why me?’