Sequel: Angel's Child

Golden Angel

Chapter 13

The lair was dark, the warm glow of candles shedding a golden light on the bricks.

Artemis was on the couch, basking in the light from the many candles positioned around her.

She was fiddling with a blanket, the frayed edges interesting her fingers.

Worry was creeping into her skin, sending a frigid chill through her veins.

The door to their ‘home’ opened, and she turned in her seat to see who it was.

“Leo…”

Something about the name sent a flutter through her heart…

He strode through the lair with the grace of a jungle cat, keeping their eyes locked.

Artemis couldn’t have looked away if she’d tried…

The gold light softened his features, making his eyes shine.

Unconsciously, she reached for him, and, suddenly, he was in her guard.

Their plastrons touched from the close proximity, and heat spread across her skin like molten lava.

“Leo?”

He cupped her face, looking serious.

“Artemis…”

His voice was like water, almost soothing the heat on her skin…

“I can’t live without you…”

Her eyes almost fluttered closed…

“Me, too…”

She suddenly realized how CLOSE their lips were…

Just before they touched, he whispered something to her, the words warm against her lips…

“I love you…”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Artemis jolted awake, like the feelings from her dream had turned to electricity in her veins.

Eyes wide, she stared at the bricks above her bed.

Mitsukai whimpered, nuzzling the jade-skinned turtle and wondering what was wrong.

“It’s okay…”

The gold-banded turtle sounded breathless, like the dream had stolen the air from her lungs.

Finding the strength to sit up, she felt the cool sweat glide down her skin like raindrops.

Crimson eyes landed on her alarm clock, which blinked 1:32 am in a cheery green.

“I’m gonna go practice…”

The husky whimpered again, but she was ignored as the turtle threw off her sheets.

Walking through the door, Artemis was met with silence.

‘I guess they’re not back yet…’

Her skin felt hot, like a fire was raging under it, and she closed her eyes.

It was like her sweat was turning to steam on contact…

Wait…

There WAS steam…

It was rising like white mist, and she pulled up her hands.

Fire sparked from her fingers like dancing stars, and she breathed out through her nose.

Steam escaped, but it was more…

Controlled…

‘Firebending…’

Moving her hands slowly, almost timidly, she sent out a burst of flame.

Seeing that it wasn’t about to burn anyone or anything, she moved into another stance.

But she lost her footing when fire burst onto her palms.

It didn’t burn, but it startled her into near-fright.

Crying out, she fell back on her shell, breathing deeply.

Once her breathing was under control, the fire ebbed and dissipated.

‘OKAY…I’m not going to try THAT again anytime soon…’

Getting back up, she stared at the slightly burnt bricks.

‘If I can do Airbending and Waterbending without a problem, but have trouble with Firebending…what about Earthbending?’

Getting into the right stance, she stomped the ground.

When nothing happened, Artemis quirked an eye-ridge.

‘Why isn’t it working?’

Trying again, with an upward sweep of her arm, a little brick was only slightly disturbed.

Mitsukai was watching as the gold-banded turtle kept trying, ears back and sympathy in her eyes.

“Why can’t I do it?” She muttered, dropping her arms to her sides.

‘Are the opposites harder? Or just impossible to control?’

Pulling an arm up, she called a thin wisp of water to her hand.

Moving her fingers experimentally, she watched the liquid become a circle, flowing and moving in the same direction.

Stopping the movement, she narrowed her eyes before breathing gently on the water.

It froze, crystallizing.

Air bubbles were caught, causing the weaker ice to start cracking from the pressure.

Relaxing, she breathed out steam, melting the ice, before letting the liquid fall into her palm.

‘Why is this so hard?’

Clenching her fist, she did a hurricane kick.

Wind flew around her, hitting the bricks hard enough to shatter some.

‘Why can’t I do this?’

Clenching her teeth, she glared at the floor.

‘…Am I just not strong enough? Not stable enough?’

Her eyes softened a bit.

‘…Don’t I have enough control?’

Mitsukai walked up to her owner, licking at her fingers tentatively.

“It’s okay, girl…”

Artemis patted the dogs head lightly.

“…I’m fine…”

‘At least…I hope I WILL be…’

The dog perked, ears cocked towards the sewer door.

A low growl rumbled through her, and Artemis felt it against her fingertips.

“Baby?”

“My daughter.”

Looking up, she spotted her father.

“Sensei?”

“We must go.”

Nodding slightly, still confused, the gold-banded turtle followed the elderly rat out into the sewers.

Hiding in the shadows as Mitsukai trailed her, she spotted the Foot ninja as they splashed through the sewer water.

‘What are they doing here? The Shredder’s dead…Isn’t he?’

That thought sent a shiver down her shell, and the water around her feet froze thinly.

But she moved, calming herself so the ice thawed, and continued on her way.

Artemis then took her time calming Mitsukai, who was jumpy and snapping at shadows.

When they were a fair distance from their hidden home, the pair spotted the other turtles hidden in a large pipe.

Walking up silently, she covered Mikey’s mouth.

“Hey, guys.”

The orange-banded turtle gave her an indignant look as she pulled back her hand with a smirk.

“What? I’m the only screamer? You have to cover just MY mouth?”

“Exactly. Because you’re our little screamer.”

“HEY…”

“SH!” She whispered sharply.

Artemis then covered his mouth before smacking him soundly upside the head.

“What’s going on, Artemis?”

Feeling her skin prickle at the voice, she shrugged.

“I believe the Foot are searching the sewers for us.” Splinter answered.

“They’re everywhere, from what Mitsukai’s doing.”

“Ya’ve gotta be kiddin’ me…” Raph muttered.

“You can not reach the lair undetected. We must find a new place to stay.”

“And fast.”

A grin spread across Mikey’s face like sunshine.

“Hey, I know just the place!”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Hey, April!”

“Thanks for letting us stay here. Is that a new computer?”

“Whatever…”

“We are grateful to you, Ms. O’Neil.”

“MIKEY-!!!”

CRASH!!!!

“…Oops…”

“…April, I’m sorry…”

The crack of knuckles…

“I’ll get rid of him for you…”

“Artie, don’t be rash-!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!”



“Well, that takes care of that!”

“…Something tells me I will have to work with her on that…”