Sequel: Angel's Child

Golden Angel

Chapter 27

“…I’m BORED…” Artemis muttered, Mitsukai on her lap dozing.

“Then go do somethin’…”

“Why don’t YOU?”

“I don’t feel like it…”

“You never feel like doing ANYTHING…”

The red-banded turtle gave his sister a blank look…

“Except fighting…”

“That’s right. ‘Cause it’s awesome.”

“…Oh, ignorance is bliss…”

“What’s that supposed ta mean?”

“Exactly what it means, tough guy.”

“…That’s what I asked…”

“Idiot says ‘what?’”

“What?”

“My point exactly…”

“Wait a minute-GET O’ER ‘ERE!”

“EEP!”

Jumping up, Artemis gave a fake squeal of fright before running off, Raph hot on her tail.

Using Airbending, she jumped into the air and latched onto the ceiling, looking ready to stay up there as long as she needed.

“Get down ‘ere!”

“And let you hit me? No thanks!”

She stuck her tongue out childishly.

“I ain’t gonna hurt ya!”

“OH, I believe you! We’ll go have a nice tea party and wear frilly dresses! …That was sarcasm, if you couldn’t tell…”

“I hoped it was…”

“HEY…What kind of girl do you think I am?”

Jumping down, she gave him a blank look, waiting for an answer with hands on her hips.

“Uh…Weird one…”

“Well, thanks…” She drawled sarcastically.

“Nice to know you think so HIGHLY of me…”

“That ain’t what I meant.”

“So what DID you mean? Besides that I’m weird?”

“Yer just…Ya haven’t noticed yer different from other girls?”

“…Raph, I have green skin, three fingers, and a shell on my back…YEAH, I know I’m different!”

“That ain’t it! Ya just don’t act like ‘em!”

“…Well, I knew THAT…”

She smiled teasingly, and her brother relaxed, glad she was just messing with him instead of going into mood-swing mode.

“I just never thought it made me any less of a woman.”

She walked off to the kitchen, leaving those words on the air and Raph wondering why
woman had to be SO DARN DIFFICULT…

Mikey was making tons of popcorn, but Artemis managed to get around him enough to reach the fridge and pop a soda can free of its brethren.

“Yo, Artie! Would you make some of your famous white chocolate pudding?”

“MAYBE…”

“PLEASE?”

He gave her the most pitiful look, and she sighed.

“I’d SO owe you!”

“WELL…I did make some this morning as a treat…”

“REALLY?!”

“Yeah…but maybe I could have it…”

“Artie, have mercy!” The orange-banded turtle begged, clinging to her legs like a dejected puppy.

“I NEED it!”

“Oh, alright…and Mikey?”

“Yeah?”

“…LET GO!”

Shoving him off one-handed, she popped open her soda and walked out towards the front door.

Mitsukai wearily lifted her head, giving a long yawn before resting it back on her sheets.

The poor thing had been so TIRED lately…

Don suspected that whatever was done to her to make her so strong had significantly shortened her lifespan.

Artemis always felt a pang in her heart when she thought about it…

Losing the husky for that short time after they’d left the farm had left her hurting inside…

She couldn’t imagine what it would be like if the ninja dog died…

Raph was in front of the TVs again, watching the news and lazily twirling a sai.

“I hate watchin’ the news! It’s all bad! These gangs out bustin’ heads…It ticks me off!”

“Raph, EVERYTHING ticks you off.” Don noted, working on something.

“Not EVERYTHIN’…A’right, everythin’…”

Artemis leaned on the doorway, smiling faintly.

‘They can be so entertaining sometimes…’

“It’s MOVIE NIGHT!” Mikey exclaimed, jumping out of the kitchen with a large bowl of popcorn on one hand and an even larger bowl of her pudding on the other.

“Movie night, right…Where’s that bonehead Casey? ‘E’s supposed ta be bringin’ the movie!”

“Probably not the best idea to let CASEY pick the flick…” Don noted, settling in a chair.

“No telling WHAT we’ll be watching tonight…”

Artemis decided leaving RIGHT THEN might be the best thing for her sanity…

Moving through the sewers at a brisk pace, to get her heart rate up, she jumped up into an alley.

Scanning the dark, she remembered to be careful as she climbed up to a rooftop and started her run.

She hadn’t been out too long when she heard a scream…

Airbending her way across the street, she landed in a crouch at the alley mouth.

There were ten gangsters, though not Purple Dragons, ganging up on a poor old man.

“HEY! Didn’t your mom ever teach you to respect your elders?”

They whirled on her, brandishing large knives, rusted pipes, and jagged pieces of glass.

“…Man, you guys just pick up whatever shit is on the ground, don’t you?”

Whipping out her fans, she snapped them open and held them loosely.

“Well, are you all waiting for an invitation?”

She smirked.

“Come on, I can take it.”

They charged as one, and she spun in a half-circle, the wind knocking them back onto their rears.

THIS, however, seemed to piss them off to the EXTREME…

“…No hard feelings?”

They pounced, but she managed to jump above the soon-to-be dog pile.

“…No one has a sense of humor nowadays…”

She was about to push them back again when a wave of water hit them, freezing them in place.

“…That wasn’t me…”

“Sorry.”

A girl of probably fourteen or fifteen stepped out of the shadows, smiling sheepishly.

“Just looked like you needed some help. Didn’t mean to cramp your style.”

Artemis quirked an eye-ridge at the girl, but a slow smile spread across her face.

“No prob. I don’t mind the help. But we should probably get somewhere safer to talk.”

The girl nodded, and thawed the ice, sure the thugs were incapacitated, and brought it back into the large pouch on her back.

Artemis helped her to a rooftop, and settled in a shadowed area.

She studied the slightly younger girl as she sat down.

She had the lightest blue eyes the turtle had ever seen, and long black hair done in a braid down her back.

The end was looped up to attach to the top, but it still reached her hips, and the loose bangs complimented slightly tanned skin.

Her figure was maturing, and she wore a white tank top and a purple sweater over her rather small breasts and tan cargo pants.

Water flask tops poked out of the tops, showing ample access to the element she obviously controlled.

“SO…Who are you exactly? I’m Artemis.”

“I’m Mizu, a Waterbender whose roots reach back to the Southern Water Tribe.”

“Mizu…Doesn’t that mean water?”

“Yes. I was named by the Moon and Ocean spirits to teach you Waterbending.”

“Moon and Ocean spirits…?”

“They’re the ones that taught Waterbending at the beginning. Tui and La…Push and pull…Moon and Ocean…It’s the very basis of Waterbending. Balance.”

“Really?”

Artemis furrowed her brow a bit in curiosity.

“Tui and La forever swim around each other in an eternal dance, keeping the balance amongst themselves.”

“This is a lot of spiritual stuff…”

“As the Avatar, you’re the bridge between this world and the Spirit World. It will be your job to know of its secrets.”

“…NICE…Anyway…You’re supposed to be my teacher?”

Mizu smiled warmly.

“Only for Waterbending.”

Artemis smiled back, standing.

“Then you’ll need to meet the family.”

Getting onto her feet as well, Mizu looked around curiously.

“Did you feel something?”

“Like what?” Artemis questioned, booting up her own senses into high gear.

“…Nothing…It’s just…”

Mizu sighed.

“…I thought someone was watching us…I guess it was nothing…”

The gold-banded turtle wasn’t so sure, but decided not to worry the slightly smaller girl further.

“It’s alright. Paranoia, right?”

The blue-eyed girl smiled, feeling more secure.

“Right…Which way?”

“Get on my shell and we’ll be there in no time.”

She stopped, however, when her Shell Cell rang…

“Yo?”

“Artemis, we’re heading out on an ice cream run. Want anything?”

Smiling, the crimson-eyed turtle chuckled lightly.

“Of course! Coffee ice cream with Oreo cookie crumbs. And…”

Mizu understood this was her cue…

“Chocolate and vanilla swirl.”

“A chocolate and vanilla swirl, love.”

“Is there a reason for the massive amount of ice cream?”

“You’ll see when I get there…”

After saying goodbye, she closed it with a snap.

“Well, we’d better get going. Ice cream will melt if we don’t.”

“I’m with you on that one.”

They headed there across the rooftops, and Artemis smiled as the two jumped down into the alley the Battle Shell was parked in.

“Hey, Artie!” Mikey greeted.

“Whose your friend?” Don questioned curiously.

“Technically, she’s my Waterbending teacher.”

Silence…

“…Excuse me?”

“Raph, I already said it. She’s going to be teaching me Waterbending.”

April and Casey came back with the ice cream, and everyone accepted their share.

As Mikey and Raph happily dug in, Don at least tried to make conversation with Mizu.

Mainly about theories, strengths and weaknesses of Waterbending, and personal likes, dislikes, or hobbies.

Artemis was just happy to have some ice cream, licking the melting mess from the cone and her fingers.

She noticed Leo staring, and smiled seductively, purposefully slowing her licks.

Stopping, the gold-banded turtle pulled her mouth away.

“Hey, Leo…”

Her hand shot out, snatching a strange knife from the air.

“Watch your shell…”

She winked, giggling.

“Even if you’re distracted.”

Everyone was on-alert now, ready for an enemy to jump out of the shadows at any moment.

“I have seen this marker before…”

Artemis turned as Splinter swiped the strange knife from her hand.

“But not from around here…”

“Ya think it’s the Foot? Are they back?”

Mizu sighed, shaking her head.

“Not them…This is different…”

“You know?”

“Yes.”

“It is a challenge. A marker for a duel. A duel where only one is left standing.”

“Young warrior. The one called Leonardo.”

Everyone turned to see the strange man come out of the shadows.

“I have come to this dimension to battle Oroku Saki, the Shredder. But you stole that honor from me when you defeated the Shredder in combat. And so, for fame and glory, I must destroy you in his stead.”

“Just try it!” Artemis growled lowly, air slowly beginning to whirl around her.

“I challenge you, young warrior, to a duel.”

“OH, I’ll give you a duel you’ll never forget!”

Splinter held his daughter back, sighing.

“It would be child’s play to defeat a female.”

“…That’s it. Either I rip him up, or YOU’D better, Leo!”

He seemed to ignore her rage, and Artemis bottled it up, only snorting steam out of her nose.

Instead, he turned to Mizu, who looked a bit displeased to see him.

“It certainly has been a while. I’ve been looking forward to seeing you again.”

“The pleasure seems to pass me by.”

She smiled, but it seemed false, and her voice was as cold and sharp as ice.

She wasn’t attacking him with threats, but with her tone alone.

“Unfortunately, my passage into this world was meant to keep us from meeting again.”

“You never seem very happy to see me…”

“I’m sorry if I don’t seem to be bubbling with joy, but I was never pleased to meet with you. And challenging a new acquaintance of mine to a duel doesn’t catch my fancy either.”

“This is for fame and glory. Don’t you understand?”

“Such things are selfish and egotistical. I’ll have no part in it.”

Looking away as a signal to the end of the conversation, Mizu was a bit surprised when Artemis moved a bit between them, glaring when he tried to advance.

“I think the lady said NO.” She growled, using Airbending to send him stumbling back.

“These are not the rules for the duel.”

“…I know…”

Everyone cast Splinter a confused look.

“Sensei?”

The ‘Ultimate Ninja’ brought out a strange double-sided paddle, and, after making it ring a couple times, caused a strange floating man to appear.

“…Um…WEIRD…”

“Sensei, what is this?”

“It is a Universal Challenge match…”

A strange blue force field spread over the group in a dome, and Raph struck it with his sai.

“What’s up wit’ this cage?!”

“If the warrior named Leonardo refuses the match, then your lives are forfeit.”

“And if he accepts and LOSES, then HIS life is forfeit…”

Artemis took hold of Leo’s hand, already worried.

She had no doubt of what choice he’d make…

“Leo…”

“I have no choice, love…” He said softly, nuzzling her cheek.

“I’ll be careful…”

“I know…”

With a determined set of her jaw, Artemis headed straight for the ‘Ultimate Ninja’.

“What do you want, woman?”

“Hey, that was pretty good…”

Her faked smile fell as her hand shot out with the quickness of a striking snake, fingers wrapping around his neck.

“Don’t mess with me, boy. You’re already on my list.” She hissed darkly, eyes as hard as crimson diamonds.

“I’m going to give you this warning once, so you’d better shut your mouth and listen.”

The five male mutants and the Waterbender backed away, feeling the female turtle’s rage.

“If you so much as TOUCH him, I’ll be forced to rip out your intestines, wrap them around your neck, STRANGLE you with them, pull out your heart and force-feed it to you.”

Tone calm yet sharp, she caused most of her brothers to hide behind their father.

“And if I feel it’s necessary, I’ll cut you up into little bite-sized pieces and feed you to a lake of hungry piranha.”

She smiled, obviously fake, but sugary-sweet.

“Do I make myself clear?”

He nodded slightly, and she released her chokehold.

“I’m glad we understand each other.”

Turning around, she walked back to Leo’s side, and he gave her a curious look.

“Artemis?”

“What? I’ve got to protect my man, don’t I?”

Chuckling lightly, the blue-banded turtle shook his head in amusement.

“You sure are one of a kind…”

“Do you accept the challenge?”

“…I accept the challenge.”

“So noted. Challenge accepted.” The floating man stated.

“Duelists, prepare!”

“Soon, warrior, you shall taste defeat!”

“And you’ll feel my foot going so far up your ass you’ll be able to TASTE it!” Artemis growled back, glaring hotly.

“Master Splinter, what is going on-?” Don started to ask.

“I will explain later. Now is not the time.”

The elderly rat went up to the strange floating ‘spirit’, and Mizu breathed out, trying to keep some semblance of control.

“I demand a full observance.”

“Full observance accorded.”

“A full observance-? Fine, old one. Observe all you want! It will not change the outcome!”

The ‘Ultimate Ninja’ seemed to disappear within his cape, and his voice seemed to echo around them…

“Warrior…WARRIOR…Prepare to meet your doom!”

“…Boy, he’s a little over-dramatic…” April noted.

“You have NO idea…” Mizu muttered.

Leo gently took hold of the gold-banded turtle’s hand, and stepped a bit away from the group.

“Don’t worry about me, love…”

“I couldn’t help it if I tried.”

Artemis smiled reassuringly.

“But I’ll always believe you can do it. The only thing that worries ME is how hurt you’ll get in the process.”

“I feel the same…”

“We’re just two of a kind, huh?”

Leo smiled a bit, nuzzling her cheek.

“I couldn’t have ended up with anyone better…”

“I love you…Be careful.”

“I will…Love you…”

The floating man made a puddle of water move below Leo’s feet, and he started sinking in like quicksand.

They lost their grip, and crimson eyes widened as he disappeared.

“LEO!!!!”

“Calm yourself, Artemisia. All is in order.”

Trying to calm her racing heart, she closed her eyes and breathed out.

“Behold.”

Water came up, showing an image of Leo in the midst of Central Park.

“What do we do now, Master Splinter?”

“Now…we wait…and we watch…”

Mikey whined.

“But I HATE waiting…”

“Well, I hate you whining about hating to wait, so SHUT UP!”

“…Okay, Artie…”

Her fists were clenched tight with worry, knuckles a pale green or near-white with the force.

Every chance Leo could be struck, when he WAS struck, she’d bite her lip hard enough to draw blood.

As if to bring pain to herself to empathize with his own…

Mizu watched the family, the close friends, as they watched the fight.

They seemed worried, as if, by losing Leo, they’d all lose some large part of themselves…

To lose him, Artemis might lose her whole heart…

The Waterbender felt some kind of pride or respect for them, deep in the walls of her heart that were guarded by ice and raging oceans.

Turning back to the strange ‘screen’, a faint smile fluttered across her face.

‘And I was worried I would feel uncomfortable staying with them…’

The scenery changed to a busy highway, the two combatants on top of a truck.

When Leo was struck almost off his feet after the ‘Ultimate Ninja’s’ disappearing act, Raph and Casey jumped into action.

“HEY! That guy cheated!”

“That’s GOTTA be ‘gainst the rules!”

“Your complaint is so noted.”

“NOTED? Ya need ta do somethin’!”

“My son, such things are considered at the end of the challenge. Not during.”

“The end? It might be too late by then!” Don reasoned.

Artemis closed her eyes, biting against the sharp curses that were burning at her tongue and searing her throat like hot needles.

The two opponents were jumping up the cable wires of a bridge until they got to the top of one of the support beams.

The ‘Ultimate Ninja’ pulled out strange claws on one hand and a strange chained weight in the other, knocking Leo onto his shell.

Blood dripping down her chin, Artemis barely held back a roar of rage…

“It is hard to watch…I know…”

Crimson eyes turned to Splinter, and tears almost veiled her vision in a blur…

“But we must…”

“Sensei…there must be something we can do…”

“Yes…As family members, we claim Right to Attendance.”

“…So granted.”

There was a light from the strange paddle, and the bubble they were in sank into a glowing puddle, transporting them to where the fighting was taking place.

Now, Leo was no longer at his enemies mercy, and their hopes lifted.

He even had the strange claw in his hold, probably having swiped it for his trouble.

“WHOA…This isn’t how we left things…” Mikey noted.

“Change is good.” April concluded.

“Yo, you go Leo!”

Green dust was thrown into the air, leaving the blue-banded turtle temporarily blinded and coughing.

“That little cheater!” Artemis growled, fists clenched against the force field so she could be as close as she could.

Leo was kicked back to the edge, and was smacked over the edge.

However, he managed to catch on a wire, but his opponent jumped down to finish the job.

The crimson-eyed turtle felt something burn in her chest, blinding her vision in a violent glow.

Mikey jumped when he realized her eyes were glowing a strange white, and Mizu realized what was going on when strange arrow-shaped markings came to life, glowing on her skin.

Air came to life around her, like bladed tentacles or the mighty breaths of hurricanes.

She couldn’t hold in her rage, and it flew out.

A hand rested on her shoulder, and Artemis turned to Splinter.

“Artemisia, calm yourself…It is not over…”

“Not over…?”

Her voice had a strange layered effect, like many people were speaking through her at once.

It faded with the glow, and she slowly turned back, eyes widening when she spotted Leo standing there.

“Let’s you and me finish this. Now.”

The fighting was a bit intense, at least, Artemis felt her heart pound a bit harder, a bit faster, with each passing moment…

She only relaxed when Leo kept the de-masked ‘Ultimate Ninja’ down with his own katana crossed above his neck.

‘That’s my Leo…’

“You lose.”

“No…I can not lose. I can not!”

“Sorry. You just did. But you fought well.”

Leo bowed respectfully.

“It’s okay.”

“I…I do not believe it…I…I surrender.”

Leo pulled out the katana, throwing them so they skidded into the force field.

“Winner…Leonardo.”

The field died down, and everyone ran to get a hug in and congratulate their ‘Fearless Leader’ on his victory.

Artemis wrapped her arms around his neck, happy he was alright.

“I told you not to worry…”

“I couldn’t help it…”

Pulling back, the gold-banded turtle punched him in the arm.

“Ow!”

She hugged him again, though.

“…Don’t scare me like that again…”

“…I promise…”

More green dust was blown into the air, creating a large dragon that seemed ready to eat them alive.

Mizu brought out a large amount of water, and it hung in the air, waiting for the moment to strike.

Suddenly, something seemed to cut the massive beast in half, and it fell away, hollow inside.

As the dust cleared, they spotted an old man in a gold mask, wearing a red kimono and carrying a katana.

“Your highness.” The floating man stated, bowing his head.

“To use such dark arts in defeat…Not only would you disgrace yourself, but you would disgrace ME, your own father, with your lack of honor. You have lost this combat, but you have the AUDACITY to make a name for yourself in such a manner! …Splinter-san, you have taught your students well…I salute you.”

Both bowed to each other, and Mizu smiled a bit at the turtle’s confused looks.

“You have fought well, young one. And won honorably.”

The man made a green light in his hands, and Leo’s katana appeared, floating towards their owners.

“I return to you your katana.”

They bowed to each other.

“Once, many generations ago, we once visited this dimension. The people thought us goblins, but we endowed a chosen few with the first gifts of the Art of Ninjitsu. You have carried on that tradition well. Better even than my son. Come. We go home.”

The three left in a flash of light and wind, and Artemis sighed.

‘We have the WEIRDEST lives…’

She smiled at Leo’s slightly-puzzled look, and they turned to head home with the others.

‘And I wouldn’t have it any other way…’