Sequel: Angel's Child

Golden Angel

Chapter 28

“Master Splinter, when you said we were coming up here for some rest and recuperation, I thought maybe you meant ‘rest and recuperation’.”

Mizu giggled from the porch door of the farmhouse, a towel around her chest.

The turtles were training with their father, so the Waterbender had decided to change into her training clothes and do the same.

Moving to the small puddle she’d made, she draped the towel on a branch, revealing the two-piece purple bathing suit.

As she moved through simple Waterbending techniques, lifting the water and moving it stealthily, she kept an eye on their practice.

The turtle’s, blind-folded, didn’t notice her as at least four of them raised their wooden Bo staffs.

“Ah, Donatello...There is nothing more restful for a ninja than rigorous training…”

“Some crazy people must say that…” Artemis muttered.

THWACK!!!

“OW!!! SENSEI…”

“It brings focus and-.”

The elderly rat stopped when he heard the sound of a videogame, and the gold-banded turtle rolled her eyes without lifting the cloth from her eyes.

‘MIKEY…’

“GAME DUDE! SPEAK TO ME, GAME DUDE!”

‘He’s so LOUD…’

The orange-banded turtle was tugged back into line, and Mizu saw the amused looks on April and Casey’s faces.

“Now, defend yourselves.”

“Uh, sensei? We got zero visibility ‘ere.”

Artemis felt something shift in the air, and brought the wood up to defend against a walking stick, jumping up and back to avoid a sweeping kick.

“Not bad, huh sensei?” Mikey asked.

“Not bad at all…We are done for today.”

Not daring to relax, Artemis put down her Bo when Mikey was knocked off his feet.

There was a domino effect, but Artemis and Leo managed to get out of the way, still blindfolded.

“Master Splinter, you said we were finished…” Don muttered in a near-whine.

“A true ninja should never believe everything he hears. Well done, Leonardo. Artemisia.”

Both bowed after righting their masks, and the gold-banded turtle turned to help up her brothers.

“How do you guys always DO that?” Don asked, straightening his mask.

“…Bro, I’m an AIRBENDER…Figure it out. You’re the smart one.”

With a pout that she remembered from when he was put out by something, Don looked away.

By doing this, he herein spotted Mizu Waterbending in a bathing suit…

Artemis thought she saw Don’s brain spark with the overload, and she giggled before knocking on his head lightly with her knuckles.

“Ow-! What?”

“You sure zoned out there, bro. Something on your mind?”

He blushed darkly, and glared at her a bit.

“NO…”

“…You can’t lie to me…I can tell when you’re in denial.”

Turning to head to the picnic blanket with the others, a smile graced her face.

‘Being a sister ROCKS sometimes…’

Mizu put a towel around her neck before joining the group, settling beside a slightly-flustered Don.

“Well, ya don’t ALWAYS get it right, princess. Or Fearless, either.”

“Name ONE TIME, tough guy.”

“How ‘bout when ya two first met the Shredder?”

“…I WASN’T FOOLED AT ALL!”

“Oh, REALLY?”

“Yeah, REALLY! JESUS…”

SMACK!!!

“OW!!! PRINCESS…”

“THAT was for questioning my instincts and common sense!”

“Wow…Thanks, Artemis…”

“I didn’t mean anything by it!” She stated hurriedly, looking worried that she’s hurt her boyfriend’s feelings.

“I know…”

Mizu looked a bit confused.

“The Shredder…How exactly did you all meet him?”

“Well, the Shredder ‘lmost ‘ad Fearless ‘ere believin’ ‘e was a good guy. ‘E invited ‘im ta a party, an’ like a sucker, ‘e went. ALONE.”

SMACK!!!

“OW!!! PRINCESS…”

“Just doing my job…”

Mikey started doing his Darth Vader impersonation, and Artemis covered her face with her palm as Mizu giggled.

“Join me, Leonardo. I am your father.”

SMACK!!!

“OW!!! ARTIE…”

“I can’t believe ya bought the Shredder’s whole twisted story.”

“Neither can I…”

“Do not feel bad, my son. You hoped his words were true. It is the nature of a good heart to hope.”

“I’m just glad you guys opened my eyes…”

“I take it you all have been through a lot.”

The blue-eyed girl smiled.

“Why not relax a little? I’ll make s’mores!”

“S’MORES!” Mikey cheered, grinning.

Artemis grinned, nodding as well.

“I don’t really like revisiting the past much, anyway. I’ll help you.”

Both girls headed into the farmhouse, and Artemis rooted through the cupboards for the ‘ingredients’ as Mizu brought out plates.

“How are we going to light a fire?”

The crimson-eyed turtle smiled reassuringly.

“I’ll handle it. Don’t worry about it.”

“…Artemis?”

Looking up at her newest friend, the gold-banded quirked an eye-ridge.

“Yeah?”

“…You and Leo are…together, right?”

“Yeah…”

“I mean, it’s not fake, is it?”

“Of course not.”

“I don’t mean to offend, but…”

Mizu averted her eyes, setting a plate down.

“…I really admire it…The way you look at each other, act around each other…That kind of love is something I’ve been looking for…”

The crimson-eyed turtle seemed a bit humbled at the thought that something so important to her was something someone else wanted close to their own hearts.

Noting that blue eyes were locked on a window, she followed the zoned-out gaze to her purple-banded brother.

“…OH…”

Smiling a bit, she put a hand on the Waterbender’s shoulder.

“If you really want something nice, I suppose I’d suggest Donnie. He’s such a sweetie. And I’m not saying that because I’m his sister.”

Both girls giggled at that, like old friends.

“Really, he’s sweet, but he can be shy sometimes. And expect ramblings. About technology…LOTS of technology…”

“I wouldn’t mind…” The black-haired girl admitted.

“I think it would be kind of cute…”

“…Different people, different ideas of cuteness…”

“What do you think is cute?”

The ninja turtle smiled as she grabbed the graham crackers.

“I just love it when Leo puts on this cute little concentrated face. He wrinkles his beak and I think it’s as cute as a bunny!”

“…I agree with you…Different people, different ideas of cuteness…”

Narrowing her eyes a bit to see if the other girl meant offense, Artemis relaxed at the teasing look she received.

“What do you think is cute about Donnie?”

Mizu paused, really thinking about it.

“I like that look on his face when he’s really into a project and someone distracts him. It’s like he’s still not there, and the curious look on his face is adorable!”

“I like that one, too. All of them are cute in their own way…Well…Maybe not Raph…”

Both girls could agree on that…

If he found out ANYONE thought something he did was ‘cute’, there’d be shell to pay…

“That’s the way it is with siblings…Can’t live with them…”

“Can’t live without them…”

“…Want to practice?”

The turtle smiled, nodding.

“Yeah. We can do the s’mores later.”

Mizu, still clad in a two-piece bathing suit with a towel around her neck, led the way to a lake nearby.

Settling into a stance, she helped her ‘student’ imitate it.

“Waterbending stems from the concept of Tai Chi. Flowing. Using your opponents strength against them.”

The girl went through some different stances, and it reminded Artemis of flowing water.

“There’s balance between defense and offense, between motion and stillness. You have to find your center of balance, and then you should be alright.”

“My center of balance is my hips…”

Mizu giggled.

“I don’t mean PHYSICALLY. I mean SPIRITUALLY. You have to find that place inside you that manages to keep everything in balance.”

The gold-banded turtle furrowed her brow a bit, thinking it over.

“To make it easier, you can go through some stances with me. Don’t lift the water just yet. Just get the feel for the movements. Once they come easily, you should be ready.”

Nodding, Artemis followed her teacher through the movements, closing her eyes to find some peace.

She felt her chi start flowing, following her arms and legs, traveling with her blood.

Mizu stopped to watch, already feeling her own chi start flowing.

When her ‘student’ seemed to get the hang of it, and her breathing regulated, the black-haired girl nodded.

“You’re almost there. Let’s start with the water.”

The crimson-eyed turtle quirked an eye-ridge when the Waterbender stepped into the lake.

“Come on.”

Shrugging, she followed, and her ‘teacher’ pulled up a large orb of water.

“Keep it moving in a circle…”

Moving their hands slowly, they moved the water in a continuous circle between them.

“Don’t force the water. Just control it’s flow. Don’t fight it’s natural push and pull.”

Artemis breathed out, eyes half-lidded as she tried to obey.

It seemed like too much to be aware of at once, but she was slowly slipping into it like a second skin.

Like it was buried in her sub-conscious like old leather coats, and Mizu’s soft prodding had caused them to be freed of some dust before they wrapped around shoulders like second skin.

“Artemis?”

Eyes snapping up, the water rippled for a moment with her sudden attention.

“Yeah?”

“You…kinda…”

Looking down at the water, she saw it moving in the air around her, like vines or tentacles or some such thing, and made an intricate-looking heart design.

“Um…Oops?”

“I can see all this training has gotten you distracted.” Mizu teased, leading the way out to their towels.

The sky was darkening, dotted with silvery stars.

A fire was started further off, and they headed towards it to see everyone around it.

Apparently, they’d made the s’mores without them…

With a shrug, Artemis just swiped one from her youngest brother and settled on Leo’s warm lap.

“HEY…”

“That’s what you get for eating s’mores without me…” She mumbled around a full mouth.

“Well, then I won’t tell you a secret!”

Quirking an eye-ridge, she looked at everyone else as Mizu settled on the ground.

“What secret?”

“Back at my shop...Before it was burned down…You were out cold, and then you started…GLOWING…”

Crimson eyes widened a bit in understanding.

“An’ ya Airbended ‘em away so we could get inta the ‘closet’. I thought ya knew…” Casey finished.

“I don’t remember…”

“That state seems to be a defense mechanism. But it doesn’t seem to activate when you yourself are in danger. It is when the ones around you are in danger.”

Splinter smiled wisely.

“I believe your spirit has always been ready to be a guardian. A guardian of your family, guardian of this world and the other.”

“…I understand, sensei…”

‘I’ll need some Aspirin for THIS job…’

“Where was I before you two interrupted…? Oh, right.”

Leo wrapped his arm around her waist, sighing.

“Even if the Shredder’s still out there, no matter what he throws at us, no matter how he messes with our lives, nothing he does will change the most important thing…That we’re family.”

A nice, reflective, DEEP silence…

Until Mikey burst out laughing…

“Leo, that was off the charts on the Sap-O-Meter!”

SMACK!!!

“OW!!! ARTIE…”

“Just eat yer s’mores an’ keep quiet, Mikey. Leo’s got a point.” Raph stated.

SMACK!!!

That was a marshmallow hitting the red-banded turtle in the nose…

Artemis managed to save the graham crackers when he pounced like an angry…no, PISSED…tiger…

“Artemis…”

“…Let’s go…”

Soon, all five turtles were in the pile, and even Casey joined in.

Mizu smiled in amusement, though she didn’t move to join.

“You couldn’t teach them manners?”

“Teaching them ancient art of Ninjitsu is hard enough. I’m afraid even I can not work miracles…”

“It’s a miracle even GOD couldn’t pull off…”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Artemis was being led through the farmhouse blindfolded, Leo holding her hand.

“Leo, where are we going?”

“You’ll see…”

He stopped her, and seemed to rush to do something before he righted her mask for her.

Crimson eyes adjusted to the candlelight, and she felt her breath stop a bit.

It was a table set for two, lit by candlelight.

Looking up at the blue-banded turtle, a large smile spread across her face…

“You are such a hopeless romantic…”

“Is that a bad thing?”

She wrapped her arms around his neck.

“Now, who said that?”

Smiling back, he gave her a slow kiss.

“Do you want to sit down? The food’s getting cold…”

They settled in the chairs, and started eating the sushi and pasta set out.

“What did sensei talk to you about yesterday?” He asked, looking interested.

“Well…He’s figured out we’re together…But he says he won’t break us up as long as we don’t…um…have sexual intercourse until we’re eighteen…”

“Well, I think we can do it…”

He smirked a little.

“As long as you stop licking your ice cream like that…”

“Hey, it’s called ‘teasing’.” She informed, a sly smile on her face.

“And besides, sensei never said ANYTHING about making-out…”

Their eyes locked, and her smile spread to a grin.

“Who do you share a room with?”

“Don.”

“He went out with Mizu a while ago…”

“…Let’s go.”

“I’m RIGHT behind you…”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mizu breathed out, and a bridge of ice went over the water so she could walk to the near-center of the lake.

Setting a beat in her head, she started moving, the stances seeming so fluid and light that it seemed like she was dancing.

Don had followed her out, and stopped when he saw her ‘dancing’ in the moonlight.

Something about the way the light made her skin glow…

Made her eyes sparkle like diamonds…

He was frozen in place, mind racing as his body stayed numb.

Mizu slowed down, coming to a stop, when she spotted the purple-banded turtle on the shore.

A bit embarrassed to have been caught, and even more so because of WHO had caught her, she headed back.

“Hey…”

“H-Hey…”

Stepping onto the shore, she grabbed a towel to cover her bathing suit again.

“Did you enjoy the show?”

“I didn’t mean to intrude-!”

He seemed flustered by something, as embarrassed to be caught watching as she was to be caught dancing.

“It’s alright…I’m just not used to it…”

She smiled reassuringly.

“…You did great…” He forced out, blushing.

“It was…beautiful…”

Mizu blushed as well, fidgeting with her looped braid.

“Thanks…”

“…D-Do you want to stargaze with me? I-I mean, o-only if you want to!”

She put a hand over his own, trying to reassure him.

“I’d love to…”

Smiling in relief, Don led her to the porch swing, and both settled down before turning their gazes to the night sky.

The dark-eyed turtle blushed when she leaned on his shoulder, seeming a bit tired so late at night.

“Are you okay?”

“I’m fine…”

She yawned a bit, resting her weight against his side.

“…Just tired…”

Hesitantly, the purple-banded turtle put an arm around her shoulders, reasoning with himself that it was only to keep the blood circulating.

‘I’m in WAY over my head…’