Sequel: Angel's Child

Golden Angel

Chapter 29

“Just try to keep balanced…Move the water like it’s an extension of your whole body…”

Artemis breathed out, moving slowly but smoothly through the stances as the water followed her hands.

She seemed to be getting it…

“Think fast!”

The water became as sharp as a blade, cutting the flying brick in half.

“Good job.”

Mizu smiled, looking proud at the progress.

“Let’s try a cool-down-.”

There was a loud splash, and the Waterbender’s hands came up, stopping the water in midair.

“Oops…Sorry…” Don apologized, smiling sheepishly behind his diving helmet.

April huffed, drenched in sewer water.

Something threatened to zoom past the two girls, and Artemis sighed, holding her arm out to the side.

Catching orange mask tails, she yanked her youngest brother off his hoverboard.

“Mikey, you could hurt someone-!”

“AH-!”

CRASH!!!

“…Like you just did?”

“Shell-! April, are you okay?!”

“I’m fine…Just drenched in sewer water and knocked on the floor…”

“I’m really sorry!” The gold-banded turtle apologized, releasing Mikey so she could go to the red-head’s aid.

Mizu, just as worried, hurried to the woman’s side as well, when Casey decided to make an appearance…

“Yo, guys. I’m borrowin’ a bunch ‘a tools.”

“Casey’s here…Let’s go to our room…”

Mizu had to agree, and the two girls headed to the room they now shared.

Artemis’s bed was still a pile of mattresses with a mound of blankets, but Mizu had brought in a hammock bed covered with thick blankets.

Mitsukai was currently on the mound of blankets, seeming to be wheezing, ears back and tongue hanging out.

“Mitsukai?”

The husky shivered, a pitiful whimper escaping her jaws.

“Baby?!”

Artemis was at the canine’s head, cradling it worriedly as her Waterbender friend kneeled at the gold dog’s side.

“Her breathing is really off…”

“Can you help?”

“I’ll try…”

Bringing water to her hands, she placed the glowing liquid on the dog’s heaving side.

“…Her heartbeat is irregular…It might be something mental…Or she’s just old…”

“…Is there anything I can do?”

“…No…But maybe there’s something I can do…”

Nodding, and looking worried, she gave the dog a quick hug around the head.

“Don’t worry. My healing ability is more advanced than yours. I think I can handle it.”

Still looking uncertain, the turtle was shooed from the room, and mumbled a quick prayer before turning to the room.

She paused before moving, and looked up at the brick ceiling.

‘I know you’re up there…At least, I hope you are…You’ve thrown a lot of things at this family, and we’ve managed to make it through…But one of the good things you did was give me Mitsukai…Please…don’t take her away from me…’

Tears stung at crimson eyes, and Artemis started wiping them away.

‘It hurt so much to let her go before…I’m just scared that this time she’ll never come back…Just let me keep her…please…’

“Artemis?”

Looking up at the blue-banded turtle, she managed a weak smile.

“Hey, Leo…”

“Is something wrong?”

“…Mitsukai’s getting worse…Mizu’s not sure if she’ll make it…”

Looking sympathetic, Leo wrapped his arms around her.

“I’m sure she’ll be okay…”

“Leo, she’s just so OLD right now…I-I’ll miss her…”

“She’ll pull through it, and maybe she’ll be as lively as before.”

“That’s asking for a miracle…”

“Who says you don’t deserve one?”

Smiling a bit, she nuzzled his shoulder.

“…Maybe you’re right…Hey, where’s Casey?”

“He went to get ready for his date with April tonight.”

“They’re going out?”

“They say it’s not a date.”

Smiling slyly, Artemis giggled.

“Well, we’ll just see about that…”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Watching Casey give April flowers, Artemis was completely POSITIVE they were in denial about their feelings…

She had a sense for such things…

“SO…Where are you taking our April?”

“Guys, it’s not a date.”

“And when will you have her home, young man?”

The gold-banded turtle smiled.

“Well, you two sure sound like her parents…Let me try something…”

She walked up to Casey, grabbing his ear to pull him down to her level.

“Be REALLY careful. I have eyes everywhere.”

“Guys, stop it. It’s NOT a date. It’s just me and it’s just Casey and it’s just a repair job. Now good night!”

The two left with that, and the turtles and their father shared a glance…

“RIGHT…”

The teasing look fell from her face when she heard Mizu’s panicked shout…

“Mitsukai…”

Bolting off as fast as the wind, she slammed into her door to throw it open.

“She’s having a fit!”

The husky was CONVULSING on the blankets, and Artemis flew to stabilize her head.

Water came to her hands, glowing brightly.

It seemed to ease the pain, but the breathing was too weak, too far apart…

“Come on, baby…” She urged, voice soft with tears…

“You can do it…”

With the last of her strength, Mitsukai lifted her head and gave a loving, deliberate lick to her owner’s cheek.

Artemis could have SWORN the little husky smiled before she went completely still…

“Mitsukai…?”

“She’s gone…”

Mizu looks sympathetic, sad…

“I’m sorry…She was a sweet dog…”

Tears slipped free, and the gold-banded turtle cradled the motionless body to her plastron…

Blue eyes softened, seeing how broken this had left her friend, and could only imagine the times those two had spent together…

‘Dogs are everyone’s best friend…’

“I’ll leave you alone for a moment…”

The turtle could only nod as the Waterbender stood, softly closing the door behind her.

Artemis couldn’t hold back a sob, flashes of memories and places and times with her pet, her FRIEND, rolling through her head like a movie on permanent loop.

It tore at her heart and caused the tears to grow heavier, and she bent herself over Mitsukai, as if still trying to shield her from something.

“You’ll always be my little guardian angel, won’t you?” She whispered, a faint little smile on
her face.

“I’ll always be looking for you in the stars, you know…I’ll never forget you…”

With a gentle pat, she kissed the still-warm fur.

“…I’ll miss you, baby…”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Artemis was slow, teary-eyed, once the canine was buried in Central Park that same night, and cried afresh soon.

Mizu had gone with her, since the brother’s said they had a pressing issue to deal with.

Leo had comforted the gold-banded turtle, given his sympathy and support, and Splinter had given a prayer for both his daughter and her lost friend.

He’d always suspected death would affect her more deeply than the others, though Mikey looked a bit more down than normal.

She was empathetic, deeply connected, and he could almost see the scars over her plastron that showed the damage such a thing had done to her heart.

Though she looked untouchable, strong, temperamental, and sarcastic, she was the most fragile when it came to the injuries of others.

The sight of blood meant life was escaping through her fingers, thus it made her physically ill, and it triggered her ‘defense mechanism’.

Mizu slowly looked up at the sky, wondering if there really was a heaven meant for good souls to ascend to…

‘Or maybe it’s just the Spirit World…’

She sighed, a sad expression on her face…

‘I really hope she’s happy…for Artemis’s sake…’

Said turtle had been quiet since she’d realized Mitsukai was dead, and she was staring sadly at the dark driftwood they’d chiseled the name into.

Suddenly, her eyes snapped up to the sky.

“Artemis?”

“I thought…”

Her brow furrowed in concentration, and she bit her lip.

“I thought I saw gold…”

Mizu sighed, thinking of the dogs gold fur.

“I’m sure it was nothing…”

Then she saw it too.

A flash of gold in the sky, like moonlight hitting silk.

Crimson eyes widened, and she used Airbending to propel herself up to the treetops.

Scanning the dark sky, she saw a large, almost lumbering shape flying through the darkness, heading towards her as if from the heavens.

“Mizu?”

“Yeah?” The Waterbender asked from below.

“I don’t know exactly what it is, but…It sure is big…And it flies…”

As the black-haired girl thought that over, fidgeting with her favorite purple sweater, Artemis felt her breath catch as the form seemed to see her, heading straight for her.

“MIZU!!”

Jumping down, the two nearly knocked each other over, and something heavy landed nearby.

Frozen, but still glaring warily, Artemis tensed as the large creature lumbered towards them.

It was massive, with a gentle head, horns, six legs, and a broad tail.

It had shaggy, silky gold fur except for a snow white arrow on its head down to its tail.

It lowered its head, showing signs of non-aggression, and Mizu relaxed.

“I don’t think it’s going to hurt us…”

The gold-banded turtle stepped forward warily, gently placing a hand on the silky forehead.

Calming as she felt the peace, she looked into the creature’s eyes…

They were a strange deep blue, tinted a lighter crimson, but it was the LOOK the creature was giving her that made her heart shake…

‘It reminds me of…’

A large tongue came out, licking her cheek…

‘Just like…’

Eyes watering, she clenched her fingers.

“M-Mitsukai?”

There was a flash of recognition in those large eyes, and what seemed to be a nod before she was nuzzled.

Tears came back, and she wrapped her arms around the massive head.

“Artemis…”

“It’s Mitsukai…I just know it…”

“It can’t be…We just…”

Mizu sighed, really thinking.

“…Maybe…She wasn’t MEANT to be in her old body…Her soul might’ve gotten trapped there because of something they did. And her body deteriorated prematurely so the soul could go back to its rightful body.”

“But why…this?”

“Every Avatar has a spirit guide picked from the natural element they were born in. That’s a Sky Bison, for Airbenders, which means Mitsukai is your spirit guide.”

“…Hogosha-Mitsukai…”

“What?”

“Hogosha-Mitsukai…It means ‘guardian angel’…It suits her now.”

Mizu nodded, understanding the strange joy in Artemis’s eyes.

She hadn’t lost her pet, and now she could make new memories.

Her Shell Cell rang, and she snapped it open.

“Yo?”

“ARTIE, GET YOUR SHELL OVER TO CONEY ISLAND!!!!”

“Mikey? What’s wrong?!”

“That crazy nano-thingy-majiger is back!!!! AND IT’S TRYING TO EAT US!!!!!!!!!!”

“Calm down, bro! We’re on our way!”

Snapping it shut, she turned to Mizu.

“They’re in trouble. Coney Island.”

“We should hurry.”

The Sky Bison seemed to roar, lifting her tail and lowering her head.

“You want us to ride you, baby?”

A nod, and the two climbed up.

Grabbing the leather straps around the horns, Artemis steered them into the dark night sky, heading for the amusement park.

There was a large robot, face much like the one they’d fried, towering over her brothers.

Hogosha-Mitsukai roared again, surprising everyone as she dived into the robot’s shoulder, horns rending holes in the metal of the once-amusement park ride.

Artemis and Mizu jumped off, and the Sky Bison pulled free, circling in the air.

“Artemis?”

“I’ll explain later!”

The robot-child screeched, and Mizu held up her hands.

“Wait! Don’t attack! We’re not here to hurt you!”

“Not…hurt?”

Relaxing at the thought of getting through, the Waterbender nodded.

“I’m not going to hurt you, alright? Just don’t hurt anybody…”

The robot seemed to be thinking of something…

“Them…dangerous…”

“No they’re not…it was just a misunderstanding…”

“You…not safe…”

“What-?”

Nanobots and wires came out of his chest, catching her wrists and waist before pulling her into the air.

“MIZU!!!”

She was pulled off her feet, but no one could grab hold of her before the robot’s chest opened and she was dragged in.

She struggled inside, barely noting the other two people inside, and tried to move her hands.

Bringing water out of her large water flask, she froze it into a blade and tried to cut herself free.

Meanwhile, the robot was stalking towards the turtles, who were backpedaling rather fast.

“MITSUKAI…”

A dull roar, and the Sky Bison flew down in another dive, horns entering the metal in the machine’s back.

Screeching, he still tried to punch them into Turtle Paste, and they jumped out of the way.

Bringing up her hands, she made a blade of wind smash into the robot’s chest, knocking it back.

“Don, we have to shut it down! NOW!” Leo ordered.

“Well, it won’t be easy…”

“We’ve NOTICED.”

“It’s composed of billions of tiny nanobots…You’d have to deactivate them all.”

“DARN…And I was looking for a giant off-switch!” Mikey joked.

“Wait…That’s it!”

“Donnie, don’t tell me Mikey had a good idea…”

“No, but we can turn off all of the nanobots with an electromagnetic pulse!”

“…NICE…”

“You guys keep it busy. When I give the word, you guys lure it to the rollercoaster. April, I’ll need your help!”

“Well, that sounds easy enough…Except for the GIANT ROBOT TRYING TO CRUSH US!!!”

The two ran off anyway, and Artemis rolled her eyes.

“There are times when you guys are what I call ‘selectively deaf’…”

“HEY…That sneaky little green nerd just stole my date!”

“OH, so it WAS a date!” The gold-banded turtle teased.

SMACK!!!

“OW!!! What was that for?”

“Calling my brother a ‘sneaky little green nerd’. I’ll tell Mizu that one…You’d better run when she gets out of there…”

“Did Donnie say ‘lure’? Quaint…HOW THE SHELL ARE WE SUPPOSED TO LURE IT!?!”

A large fist came towards them, but they jumped out of the way.

“I say we start with worrying about ‘surviving’, Mikey…”

The turtles ran forward, striking at the large ‘man of metal’.

Artemis threw a sphere of air, and the robot stumbled, screeching in agony.

Cuts were appearing on the chest from within, and the crimson-eyed turtle smirked.

‘She sure doesn’t give up when in the monster’s belly…’

“Now I know what it feels like ta be inside a trash compacter…” Raph ground out, trying to keep from being crushed by the strange dragon’s hand.

Artemis and Leo jumped up to free him from the death-grip, and he jumped away, free.

They almost got stomped on, but that was to be expected…

Then parts were thrown at them…

Artemis knocked them off-course with her Airbending, but they were still running.

“HEY, GUYS!!! GET IT OVER HERE!!!”

A piece of metal barely missed the she-turtle’s head…

“MOVE YOUR SHELLS FASTER, DAMN IT!!!!!!”

“Come on, you big ugly hunk of metal! Step on a turtle, win a prize!”

“Mikey, I SWEAR, if he steps on me, I’ll HAUNT you!!!”

Mitsukai roared again, flying down close enough so Artemis could jump onto her head.

“Come on! The rollercoaster!”

Flapping her broad tail, the large bison was flying towards the ride.

Mikey got onto his hoverboard, and both ‘flying’ turtles led the large robot towards their trap.

The whole track was glowing strangely, and the Sky Bison reared at the strange sight.

“It’s alright, girl. Just keep going!”

A strange blue ball of energy flew off, and Artemis managed to steer Mitsukai away so it struck the large machine lumbering behind them.

There was a blinding light before the robot fell apart with a dying shriek, and they saw Mizu pull herself free.

She looked a bit knocked-about and bruised, but no worse for the wear, and she smiled at them.

“Well, thanks…But couldn’t you find a safer way to do it?”

The screen was still working, though it was blurring and dying out, and the strange child’s voice kept repeating one word until it died…

“Fa-Mi-Ly…Fa-Mi-Ly…”

“Man…Poor kid…” Raph mumbled.

“All he wanted was a family…” Mikey agreed.

“Doesn’t seem like much to ask…” Leo muttered.

The police were called, and they hid behind a shed to make sure everything went smoothly.

“April, we found the stolen jewels the police have been looking for.” Leo informed, holding the open chest.

“We were thinkin’ ya should turn ‘em in. There’s a big reward.”

“You could use it to rebuild your shop.” Artemis stated, smiling.

“But guys, we should share the reward…”

“Sharing is GOOD…”

SMACK!!!

“OW!!! ARTIE…”

“You deserve it, April. Even if we split it, I’m sure it would all end up going to rebuilding your place. RIGHT, Mikey?”

“…Yes?”

“Good turtle…”

Mitsukai, lying down so she was more hidden, seemed to laugh, and Artemis patted the large creature’s forehead.

“Thanks, guys…”

“I guess if you get your place back, we won’t be seeing so much of you anymore…” Don stated a bit down-heartedly.

“Of course you will, guys. We’re family.”

Mizu smiled a bit, watching them.

‘I hope, someday, I’ll manage to be a part of it all…’