Sequel: Angel's Child

Golden Angel

Chapter 33

Blinking in surprise when debris didn’t crush her under its weight, Mizu looked up to see why.

Artemis was Earthbending, holding the concrete and metal over her head.

Though her stance seemed sturdy, she seemed to be having trouble keeping the weight up.

“Artemis-!”

“Go…” She forced out, muscles starting to shake under the pressure.

Leo seemed ready to protest, but forced it back when he saw the pile teetering as the others ran for the open street.

Once all five of them were a safe distance away, the mound fell down with a thud that seemed to shake the earth.

“ARTEMIS!!”

“ARTIE!!” Don and Mikey chorused.

“PRINCESS!!”

After a moment of tense silence, of hopeful waiting, something shifted…

“Artemis…”

The jade-skinned turtle pulled herself free, looking a bit knocked about and bruised from her ‘trip’.

“Hey, guys…”

She tried to give a reassuring smile…

“I don’t think I’ll do THAT again…”

“ARTIE!!!”

Mikey tackled her in joy, and Raph got on Leo’s case about almost getting her killed.

“She ain’t complained once, ‘cause she loves ya, but she can’t keep takin’ blows fer ya!”

“She doesn’t have to!”

“But she’s goin’ ta, whether it kills ‘er or not!”

“I’m not going to let anyone else get hurt in this war!”

Something rumbled beneath the debris, and Artemis pulled Mikey away…

“LEO…”

He didn’t seem to hear her over the shouting, and the pile of concrete shook, seeming ready to erupt…

“Leo!”

A metal hand shot out, like a plant reaching for the sun as the two eldest brothers fought…

“LEO!!”

“WHAT?!” Both shouted at once.

“MOVE!!!”

The robot burst into the air, about to crush them if Artemis hadn’t bull-rushed it in midair.

When the robot turned on her, there was a warning roar before Mitsukai rammed into the metal creature.

Even the Foot Elite seemed amazed as the massive bison tore at the metal with her horns, ripping it open like paper, and backing up with bristling fur and a glare.

“THAT’S my girl!”

A laser nearly hit her…

“…NEVERMIND!”

Mizu brought up a wall of ice, and the lasers were deflected before a wild blast landed near her feet.

Startled out of her stance, the ice thawed and followed her as water.

The turtles jumped into the fray, along with the Foot, but the robot seemed to be bucking like a bronco now.

“Fightin’ side by side wit’ the Foot? Now ya KNOW it’s gotta be wron’!”

“Once the robot is defeated, we will destroy you all!”

“OH, I feel the old hate…”

A bus turned down onto the street as they ganged up on the machine, Mitsukai flying up to make room as the front wheels were knocked out from underneath the vehicle.

The windows cracked as the vehicle skidded, and most of the people ran out screaming in panic.

Mitsukai had rammed into the robot with a snarl again, and the turtles heard pleas of help from the bus.

“Shell!” Artemis cursed under her breath, running for it.

“PRINCESS!”

Busting in through a window, she slipped her way through bent bars and thrown seats to reach the fallen passenger.

“Wh…What are you?”

“A…A figment of your imagination.” She lied, lifting the metal off of him and helping him stand.

“You hit your head pretty hard…”

Once they were out of the bus, she made sure he got away safely before turning back to the robot.

It’s strange hand was over the Sky Bison’s throat, holding her back as she struggled for breath.

“MITSUKAI!”

Jumping in and cutting at the arm with a whip of water, she noticed Mizu help her as the others hid, coming up with a battle plan.

The two benders were knocked back quite a distance, and Mitsukai circled the robot, bristling and snarling as she lifted her broad tail.

An engine revved, and everyone turned to see Raph driving the downed bus at the large machine.

“RAPH!!”

The robot turned on the vehicle, blasting at it enough to make gasoline escape its protective shell.

Mitsukai reared on her lower legs in order to avoid the bus as it toppled over.

Leo was the first to run over to free his hot-headed brother, and the others turned as Don got an idea.

The robot set fire to the gasoline, and Mizu didn’t get a chance to put it out before she had to dodge a barrage of lasers.

“LEO!!! RAPH!!! GET OUT OF THE BUS!!! NOW!!!” Don shouted.

“LEO!!!!!”

The two managed to get away as the vehicle exploded, and Mitsukai bucked at the sudden heat.

“Whatever ya do, DON’T say I owe ya one…”

A fire hydrant was busted, and Mizu lifted water off the ground as Don grabbed two fallen power lines.

“Mikey, herd the robot over here!”

As Mikey and a couple of Foot Elite brought their target closer, the Waterbender covered the metal with water, freezing some into hooks to pull the robot closer.

As electricity coursed through its body, it shrieked pitifully before falling over, dead.

“Nice work, guys!”

“Destroy the turtles!”

Mikey jumped away from the Foot ninja as they tried to box him in.

“YEESH! Some guys just can’t take a compliment!”

The orange-banded turtle was MAJORLY outnumbered…

“A LOT of guys can’t take a compliment! ARTIE!!”

The gold-banded turtle whirled around, immediately angry.

“HEY! LEAVE MY LITTLE BROTHER ALONE!”

Chasing after them as they ran off, Mizu could only watch as she found her footing.

Two more robots came into the picture, and the blue-eyed girl lifted up enough water.

The fully-functional robots shot lasers, more accurately this time, and they had their hands full with defending themselves.

They spotted the Purple Dragons on a ledge above them, toting guns, except for Hun…

He had a rocket launcher…

Artemis was running up to them, Airbending to make herself faster, and whistled.

“MITSUKAI!”

The Sky Bison flew up, and the crimson-eyed turtle grabbed onto the reins as it zoomed by, Mizu jumping onto Mitsukai’s shaggy back.

With a roar and a mighty flap of her tail, the bison used the mighty gust to knock the Purple Dragons off-balance.

Shielding the other turtles with her bulk as Hun shot a rocket at them, Artemis jumped up and knocked the rocket away with an Airbending kick.

“That’s not nice! Go be a jerk somewhere else!” She shouted, shaking her fist mock-angrily.

April’s van, holding Casey and Mikey, drove up to ensure the others got away.

Grabbing the reins, Artemis steered Mitsukai after the van, keeping fast and low.

Water protected them from bullets, and they were soon away from the battlefield and atop a rooftop.

Leaving Mitsukai outside as a ‘guard dog’, they went inside an empty water tower fitted with a hammock and crates to sit on.

“So what’s wit’ the new digs?”

“I couldn’t risk leading anyone back to the lair, so I was staying here. It should be good enough for all of us until we figure out our next move.”

Mizu groaned, exhausted, as she fell on her back.

Artemis plopped down beside her, rubbing at her eyes as she yawned.

“I agree with Mizu…I need a nap…”

THAT’S when Leo and Raph started fighting again…

With a tired groan of exasperation, Artemis fell back on her shell.

She perked when she thought she felt something underneath them, and sat up slightly, brow furrowed.

Mitsukai gave a warning roar, as if seeing anything would startle, and the jade-skinned turtle felt more suspicious…

“Guys-?”

The floor was blasted clean off, and the seven fell down, six landing on their feet…

Hey, at least Casey fell on his ass…

They were faced with three ninja, one a kunoichi with the Foot symbol on her chest and a katana in her grip.

“I believe we have a few matters to discuss…”

Mizu brought up a long whip of water tipped with ice, and Artemis took an Airbending stance.

“My name is Karai, and I am here to restore order to the Foot.”

“I got yer order right ‘ere, lady.” Raph challenged.

“Stand down, Raph!”

“NO! I’m SICK ‘a bein’ everybody’s punchin’ bag, an’ I’m REALLY sick ‘a takin’ orders from ya!”

SMACK!!!

“OW!!! What was THAT fer?!”

“Don’t pull that bullshit with me!!” Artemis snapped, fire in her eyes.

“Since when have YOU been the punching bag? I thought that was Mikey’s job. And STOP with all the frickin’ shouting before I lose my cool!”

She managed to keep from smacking him again, and stepped back, lowering her eyes.

She hadn’t meant to shout at him, but she was getting tired of all the fighting…

“Just…cool it, Raph…”

He seemed to think it over, but still went with his defiant nature and jumped for the kunoichi.

She threw a weight and chain, knocking his sai out of his hands.

He was knocked onto his shell, and Karai went in for the finishing blow.

“HEY!”

A kunai blocked her blade, and Artemis gritted her teeth.

“NO ONE pushes my brothers around but me!”

Pushing Karai back with a kick to the stomach, she back-flipped onto her feet.

The other two ninja struck, and Mizu whipped around to keep them back.

The others jumped into battle, and it was actually rather rough.

Those two ninja were more skilled than the entire Foot army COMBINED…

“Donnie! Mikey! I have an idea!” Mizu stated, sliding into a stance.

The two ninja went for her, her Waterbending a danger…

As long as she could move her arms…

Clenching her fingers, she made water freeze their feet to the ground, and froze them up to their abdomen.

“Nice one!” Mikey congratulated.

“Great idea!” Don stated, hugging her.

She blushed, smiling.

“Thanks, Donnie…”

Artemis and Leo weaved and ducked in time with each other, as if dancing around each other and attacking Karai.

At passing glance, they seemed in sync with each other, but, with a practiced eye, you could see the slight hitch in their movements…

The slightest snag in the dance…

Casey and Raph tried to help, snags in the movements…

It was just Karai and Artemis now, and the woman seemed wary.

Like she could sense the wild in her opponent…

Blows were traded, dodged, blocked…

Kunai and katana collided with sparks, and they were forced back…

Green eyes flickered off to the side, and the jade-skinned turtle knew where this was going…

Karai went to strike Leo as he still stood, and she bolted to reach him first.

“LEO!!”

Pushing him out of the way, she took the kick to the side, and she rolled onto her shell in pain.

The kunoichi pointed her katana at the crimson-eyed turtle’s neck, eyes narrowed dangerously.

Eyes blazing, Artemis glared right back, clenching her fists in a white-knuckled grip.

“Now, I came here to discuss a matter with you, and discuss it we shall…With or WITHOUT her…It is your choice.”

Mizu worriedly bit her lip, hands clasped tightly.

‘What do we do now?’