Sequel: Angel's Child

Golden Angel

Chapter 41

BAM!!!

BAM!!!

SNAP!!!

THUNK!!!

The seven teens stared in amazement at Splinter’s rigorous training…

“I don’t know how to say this, but…”

“Yer dad kicks ass.” Chi finished for the tongue-tied Waterbender who had become her friend.

Artemis and Mikey grinned proudly at that as Don put an arm around Mizu’s waist.

“Yup!”

“That’s our dad!”

The elderly rat walked in absolute silence for a moment, heading into his room…

“SO…What’s up with Master Splinter?” Mikey asked curiously.

“…I think ‘e’s leavin’ somewhere…” Chi replied, eyes closed.

“Where would he go?” Mizu wondered.

“I still don’t get it…Why was Master Splinter working out so hard?”

“’E’s been actin’ kinda wacko fer a month now…” Raph grumbled.

The door suddenly opened again at that moment, and Splinter walked out, a pouch attached her his walking stick over his shoulder.

“My children, I will be leaving you for a few days. While I am gone, I want you to be extra cautious, so do not leave the lair until I return. Leonardo, you are in charge of your brothers.”

He turned to his crimson-eyed daughter.

“Artemisia, you are in charge of your friends.”

“Yes, sensei.” Both turtle’s chorused.

“You two shall keep an eye on the others.”

The elderly rat headed towards the door, and everyone watched him go.

“Where are you going, sensei?” Leo questioned.

“Do not worry. I will return soon.”

The front door closed solidly, and the teens shared a glance.

“AGAIN, I pose the question…What’s up with Master Splinter?”

“I don’t know…But he went away like this before…Three years ago…” Artemis noted.

“Yeah, but…Where’d he go?” Mizu asked.

“Maybe he’s got a GIRLFRIEND…”

SMACK!!!

SMACK!!!

“OW!!!!!! ARTIE…CHI…”

The two ‘hot-heads’ shared a smirk…

“There’s only one way ta find out…” Chi stated.

“We follow ‘im.”

“He said we’re not supposed to leave the lair.” Leo countered.

“’E ‘lso said ta keep an eye on us. So ya keep an eye on us while WE keep an eye on ‘im.”

Artemis sighed, turning to her two friends.

“Any loophole YOU two managed to find?”

“Yeah. Ya gotta listen ta yer teacher. Now let’s go.”

“…How did sensei not think of THAT?” The gold-banded turtle grumped as everyone ran out.

Sharing a look with Leo, she gave a small smile.

“Well...It’s not like they can do this themselves…”

“Right…Lead the way, love…”

“Gladly…”

The blue-banded turtle couldn’t help a smile as she walked ahead of him, lifting her tail teasingly.

‘Yep…She’s one of a kind…’

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At the mouth of a dark alley, the teens watched as Splinter took some chalk and drew strange symbols on the brick wall.

He chanted something, and water came up to make a portal.

Mizu’s bright blue eyes filled with understanding, though the others were now confused.

Once the elderly rat walked through the portal and disappeared, the water fell to the ground with a splash.

“OKAY…That was freaky…” Mikey stated.

Mizu touched the wall, water rippling under her feet.

“He’s gone…”

“But it’s rock solid!”

“Yeah…like yer head…” Raph retorted, standing beside his youngest sibling.

Chi shifted her feet, brow furrowed.

“’E ain’t ‘ere anymore…”

“Then where’d he go? HOW?” Don asked.

“You know, that chanting was familiar…but the symbols…I’ve never seen them before.”

“Then it looks like sensei gave us the slip.” Artemis concluded.

“Maybe…Maybe not.”

Everyone turned to Donnie, the Waterbender feeling a bit worried.

“Sensei also taught us that, where there’s a will…and some UV lighting…There’s always a way.”

The small device’s purple light revealed the symbols once washed off the walls.

“Nice going, Donny. Got any chalk in your magic Bag ‘a Tricks?”

Raph took the offered writing tool, and copied the symbols again before Don turned off the light.

“That oughtta do it. A’right, Leo. Give it a shot.”

“Here goes nothing…”

As he started the soft, mumbled chant, the water shifted, lifting up to make the glowing doorway.

“…Did it work?” The blue-banded turtle asked, opening one eye curiously.

“No way…”

“WAY…This is COOL!” The crimson-eyed turtle exclaimed.

“You know, maybe this isn’t such a great idea after all-!”

Mikey was shoved in before he could finish his worried statement, and Raph smirked.

“Comin’, guys?”

“Right behind ya, softie.”

“Wha-?”

SHOVE!!!

“MAN…I love bein’ an Earthbender…”

Once Chi was through, and then Don and Leo, the last two benders shared a glance.

“Bad feeling?”

“Bad feeling.”

“Still go?”

“Let’s go.”

They fell down what felt like a waterslide, and landed in blue muck at the end, near a forest and a dirt path.

“Oh, joy…” Chi grumbled, wiping the muck off her baggy brown t-shirt and jean Capri’s.

“NOW where are we?” Artemis asked, looking a bit miffed herself as she brushed the bright blue muck off her mask tails.

“Definitely not Earth.” Don answered, looking around.

“If I had to guess, I’d say it’s a world BETWEEN worlds…Between DIMENSIONS, even…A nexus.”

“Yeah, you mean like an overlapping sub-space commonality.”

Blank looks Mikey’s way, and even Chi quirked an eyebrow to show her surprise…

“What? Donnie’s not the only turtle that watches Star Trek, you know!”

Another portal opens in the air with a strange whooshing sound, and Chi perked in confusion.

“Watch out, guys.” Mizu warned, water floating around her legs like an obedient pet.

“Another portal’s opening…”

Strange sticks seemed to fly out and hit the ground like spears, opening up to show tall stick/bird-like creatures.

Ready for an attack, they drew weapons or took ready stances.

“Hold on. Maybe they mean us no harm.”

They drew scythes, which looked razor-sharp in the light.

“…You were saying, love?”

The strange beings charged at them, and the group split up into their own one-on-one fights.

“We don’t have TIME for this!”

Artemis spun a bit, knocking the scythe from it’s downward swipe at her neck.

“I don’t think we have much of a choice, love!”

Mizu blocked a blade with a wall of ice, and twisted it from her opponent’s hand in a complicated move.

With a jump and a grunt of effort, she spun with ice spikes around her feet and knocked him back.

Keeping him down with ice around the strange beings joints, she breathed out to relax.

Chi just smirked at the one that was coming towards her, and the creature, probably suspecting an easy victory from a little blind girl, swung with all its might at her neck.

Easily side-stepping the onslaught, she used her feet to make a rough column of earth smack into its stomach and chin as it lost its center of balance.

Artemis smiled a bit, seeing her friends working their opponents over so easily.

They were at ease with their element, their strength, and she had yet to find her own center.

Still, with a reinforced punch and some clever dodging, she took down her own opponent before her brothers finished with theirs.

Leo’s katana had been cut in half during the fight, and he held the pieces gingerly.

“Oh, Leo…”

“Preliminary matches completed in 54.3 quargons. The Gontai are eliminated from the competition.”

Everyone but Mizu seemed confused, and then gave questioning looks to the young Waterbender.

“Sweetheart?”

“I…Now might not be the time to explain…”

The ‘Gontai’ lined up, bowing respectfully in defeat.

“Now, if you Slontags will-.”

“Slontags?” Artemis asked, confused and a bit irritated at this point.

“Ya talkin’ ta us?” Raph questioned.

Another portal opened, and strange green ogres jumped from it’s glowing gateway.

“Wait…Wait a moment!” The floating man stated.

“This is not correct! There has been some mistake! The Gontai were supposed to fight the Slontags, not you Earthers! In fact, the only Earther registered is Hamato, Splinter.”

“Hamato, Splinter?”

“Master Splinter?”

“Where is he?!”

“This is not as it should be…Now I must reschedule the match between the Gontai and the Slontag…”

They disappeared in a strange sphere, and Chi’s eye twitched.

“’E was a fountain ‘a information, wasn’t ‘e?”

“The sooner we fin’ Master Splinter, the sooner we can blow this popsicle stan’!”

“I’m wit’ ya on that one…”

So the group started traversing the strange terrain, Chi leading the way with her more ‘advanced’ sight.

“Well, at least the gnocchi is familiar…”

“All I remember ‘bout the gnocchi is he works for that creep, the Ultimate Ninja…”

Chi quirked an eyebrow.

“Well, I’d be on-topic with all ‘a ya if I could’ve seen ‘im…”

“I bet Master Splinter has the 411 on all this.” Mikey stated.

“He seemed to know a whole lot more about that Ultimate Ninja business than he was letting on.”

“MAN, if I see that Ultimate Ninja ‘gain, I’m gonna-!”

Artemis held an arm out to stop her brother, eyes narrowing.

“What the SHELL…?”

Looking down at a valley, they found a large four-armed man trying to punch Master Splinter into dust…

“Master Splinter!”

“Sensei!”

The turtles jumped down, running to save their father, but Mizu caught hold of Artemis, who was the closest turtle.

“DON’T!”

“Wha-?”

The gold-banded turtle jumped back as a strange shield formed around her brothers, along with the gnocchi.

“Battle Nexus rules clearly state that there can be no outside interference between contestants.”

Artemis still clenched her fists, biting her lip, to keep from jumping into the fray.

Mizu looked worried as well, but their Earthbending friend just followed the fight as best she could.

When it seemed the elderly rat was about to be defeated, Artemis felt a hand on her wrist, and looked back at Chi.

“Just watch.”

Obeying, the jade-skinned turtle saw the tide of the battle turn before her very eyes, resulting in her father’s victory.

The shield fell, and everyone ran to congratulate the elderly rat on his victory, though he didn’t look very pleased with them…

“You were supposed to stay at home, not follow me here.”

He gave Leo and Artemis very stern looks.

“Leonardo. Artemisia. I’m VERY disappointed in you.”

“I’m sorry, sensei…I just-.”

“Chi used the ‘teacher’ card on me! Do you want me to learn Earthbending or not?!”

“…I can be pretty good…”

“Not now, Chi…”

There was a bright blue light, revealing the gnocchi.

“Victory for Hamato, Splinter of dimension Third Earth.”

He disappeared again, and Chi rubbed her temple.

“It’s so weird hearin’ a disembodied voice…”

The large four-armed man stood up behind them, and Artemis grabbed Leo’s arm before he tried to strike.

Something in her told her he wasn’t a bad guy…

If there was one thing her brothers could trust, it was her sense of judgment.

Her instincts were connected to the earth, the sky, the oceans, volcanoes…

And even to the very energy that ran through them all…

She herself didn’t understand it fully, but it was a constant that kept her brothers looking to her for advice.

“Guys, don’t.”

“Well fought, comrade.” The large blue-skinned man congratulated, kneeling to put a hand on Splinter’s shoulder.

“I had such hopes of beating you…”

“You almost did, old friend. It was a most valiant contest. Domo arigato.”

“You five should be honored to have one such as Splinter as your sensei. He is something of a legend here.”

“He is?” Don asked.

“You mean he hasn’t told you?”

“Apparently not…” Mizu replied, seeing as her boyfriend and his siblings were just as out of the loop.

“OH, this is rich! TOO rich!” He laughed.

“Please, allow me to tell a story about your sensei.”

“I would really rather that you not bother, old friend.”

“It’s no bother, comrade.” The four-armed man assured.

“Listen up, young ones…”

Chi decided to tune him out until he got to the good part, which happened to be the fighting, the ambush, more fighting, and the good guys winning…

What could she say?

She was an old-fashioned girl in some ways…

“WOW…It’s all so cool!” Don admitted.

Another bright light, this one bringing the Daimyo, the gnocchi, and a middle-aged man with dark blue eyes and black hair.

‘Oh, crap…’

Mizu almost hid behind the purple-banded turtle, feeling bad as it was.

“We are honored by your return, sensei.”

“It is I who am honored.”

“I can not say how glad I am to see my old friend among the ranks of gallant warriors, and now your children are here to compete. This is truly a great day.”

“They were SUPPOSED to stay at home…”

Artemis had the sense to look a bit sheepish…

“What can I say? Staying home was never one of our strong points…”

“Noble Daimyo, the four Earthers were not registered properly. However, they did win a match in the qualifying round.”

“Excellent. Then by my decree, they shall be entered into the contest…If you deem is acceptable, my friends”

The turtles looked confused until the other friend stepped forward, and locked eyes with the young Waterbender.

“Mizu…”

“Father…”

There seemed to be a moment of tension, and she gripped Don’s hand tightly in both of hers.

Dark ocean eyes seemed to soften, and the tension in her muscles slowly unwound itself.

“…I am proud of you…I would be honored to have you participate for your family.”

She nodded a bit, still stiff, formal. Now they knew where she’d gotten it from…

She’s been like that when they’d first met her, and had loosened around the casual tongue of Artemis, who rarely spoke a polite word to anyone but her wise elders and her father.

The two bowed to each other slightly, and it seemed only Mizu noticed her father’s eyes narrow at her and Don’s clasped hands.

She gave a warning glare, and trees seemed to shake a bit as warning.

If he said anything negative about them…

“I hope you do well…”

He disappeared back into the portal, and she finally relaxed, turning back as Splinter seemed to ponder whether to let the turtle’s join.

It was entirely Chi’s choice, however, since, as she put it, she was an orphan.

“I thought, perhaps, that they were not ready to compete…But perhaps fate is showing an overprotective father that his children are growing up. They may enter.”

They cheered, grins and laughs in the air now.

“Now that that is happily settled, I have an important point of honor that must be addressed.”

Purple smoke, like tendrils, and they parted to reveal…

“The Ultimate Ninja?” Artemis growled darkly.

“What is this? Some kind ‘a trick?” Raph demanded, sai drawn.

“No trick, I swear it!”

The man kneeled before Splinter, seeming ready to ‘apologize’.

“Honored sensei, I know that when last we met, I challenged Leonardo to a mortal duel…”

“My threat still stands…” Artemis muttered under her breath in a rough growl.

“It was a rash act, and I humbly apologize for the unwarranted actions against your family.”

“…Can I hit him now, sensei?”

The elderly rat held up a hand, and the jade-skinned turtle snorted before backing up, Leo placing a hand on her shell.

“I beg your forgiveness…”

“Look whose turned o’er a new leaf…” Raph grumbled.

“Your apology is most gracious. We accept.”

“I’m sorry, sensei, but I don’t think I can compete…My swords…They were broken.”

“Father, we must help him.”

“Of course. We have an exemplary palace sword smith. Fear not.”

A blue light surrounded the broken blades, and they levitated.

“The gnocchi will see that your swords are repaired and brought to you.”

“As you wish, my lord…”

As the floating man disappeared, blue light surrounded them from the War Staff.

“Come. The next stage in the tournament is about to begin.”

They appeared again on a balcony, over-looking a large arena rimmed by an excited audience.

The Daimyo said a speech to the many warriors below, and Chi looked around almost boredly, eyes half-lidded and toes carefully searching the ground.

“Please, my friends. Allow me to escort you to your next arena.”

Artemis snorted again, arms crossed over her chest.

“We’re sure something, and it’s a far-cry from ‘friends’…”

Still, the teens followed him to a large ‘Hall of Fame’, looking at the many statues.

“As you see around you, this is the Pavilion of Past Champions. Something of a Hall of Fame. Here are two statues that may interest you.”

The Ultimate Ninja gestured to two statues, who were in the shapes of Splinter and his sensei, Yoshi.

“It would be so cool to have my own statue in here beside them…”

There was a scoff, and all three girls couldn’t help that their eyes narrowed on the Ultimate Ninja…

“Excuse me?” Artemis asked, tone dark.

Now, she’d been made fun of before.

Mikey teased her often, and even Raph and Don had come in on the game, but they were her brothers.

She’d never hit them.

But this was the very man who’d tried to kill her boyfriend…

And he was basically laughing at her…

Chi wished she could see pictures right then, and had a camera, while Mizu tried to think of something to tell the Daimyo when the mangled body was found…

“Do you truly believe you are strong enough to become a Champion?”

“If I didn’t think so, I wouldn’t have said so.” She stated coolly, but there was ice on her breath, showing how hard she was forcing the calm tranquility into her voice.

“How naïve…”

Water lashed out, wrapping around his throat.

“YOU’RE naïve, thinking I won’t try to kill you for what you pulled.” She growled.

“What would you bet to win?”

She seemed confused, and the water loosened.

“…A bet? On me winning?”

She smirked.

“You have a death wish?”

“If you win, I will never bother you again.”

“I’m fine with that…”

“But if you lose…”

“What? I need to APOLOGIZE?” She teased in a dark tone.

“Princess-.”

The dark aura, the deadly feeling, made even Raph back off.

“Artemis…” Leo tried, stepping forward.

“If you lose, even if you get to the finals…you’ll owe me your soul.”

The water dropped, and she gave a slightly perplexed look.

“What? Like a slave or something?”

“In this world, such a connection would be more akin to…Marriage.”

“Okay…Let me go barf over here for a sec…”

“Did ya just ask what I think ya asked?”

The Ultimate Ninja nodded, and Chi rubbed her forehead.

“I’m right behind ya, Artemis…”

Now, Leo had been mad before…

He knew the feeling well, and thought he’d had a good rein on it…

Until now…

The very thought of her risking the very thing they both treasured made him bristle like an angry lion.

Artemis stood up from her ‘retching’ position, and put a hand to her head.

“Now that my nausea has passed…I’m going to have to kick your ass.”

“Are you afraid you’ll lose?”

Bristling at the accusation, she ground her teeth.

If there was something she HATED, it was people accusing her of weakness.

Though protecting her family and friends had never been a weakness in her mind, she felt her pride was a bit too strong.

Leo put a hand on her arm, looking stern.

“You don’t have to prove anything.”

“That is what losers say.”

She snarled, fists clenched.

That guy had just crossed the line.

It was hardly tolerant of him questioning her strength, but when he made fun of LEO, he just walked into F*****ville!

“You’re on.” She ground out, eyes fiery.

“And when I win, I’m going to kick my foot so far up your ass you’ll taste sewer water…”

With what could only be a triumphant grin, the Ultimate Ninja turned to continue leading the way.

Leo and Artemis, however, needed some time to think…

Assuring the others that they’d be fine, they were soon alone…

Wrapping an arm around her waist, he nuzzled her neck.

“Love…”

“I know…”

She groaned, burying her face into his chest.

“I feel stupid right now…”

“It’s alright…You felt you needed to teach him a lesson…”

Sighing, she gripped him tighter.

“He’s just a spoiled brat…But I know he has an angle…”

“Don’t worry. I’m sure everything will turn out fine.”

With a worried smile, she wrapped her arms around his shell.

‘I hope so…’

She felt SOMETHING, like a shadow on the edge of her senses…

‘Well…A girl can dream, can’t she?’